• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing 4K clip on 1080 sequence in Source Monitor uses incorrect crop

Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ran into this issue today and found a workaround but wondering if there's an easier way. I have a project with a 1080p timeline and 4K clips. I'm using the "Set to Frame Size" for my clips on the timeline so that I can pan/zoom the footage without loss of quality. If I double-click on a clip in the sequence to load it into the Source Monitor it displays just the crop, ignoring the "Set to Frame Size" setting, making source-monitor trimming/editing nearly impossible. However if I double-click the same click from my project window to load it into the Source Monitor it displays properly, fitting to size rather than showing a crop.

The workaround I'm using is to set the "Scale to Frame Size" setting for the clips in the project before adding them to my timline, then changing that to "Set to Frame Size" once they're on the timline. After that workaround if I double-click the clip on the timeline it loads properly into the source monitor, fitting to size rather than showing a crop.

Here's a quick screencast I did demonstrating this:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are all seeing is by design.

Why would you open the clip from the timeline into the SM to do what?

Pan and zoom is done in the Program monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how it can be by design considering how the behavior is different depending on where the clip is loaded into the source monitor from and how that behavior changes based on the scaling setting even if that setting is overriden.

Loading a clip from the timeline into the Source Monitor is done to edit the in/out points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2019 Sep 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the in and outpoint but you were asking for pan and zoom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hover your playhead over a clip in the timeline and hit F the source file (from the Project panel) will open in the SM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann. Using Match Frame as you suggested via 'F' is a good solution. Although it loads the master clip into the SM instead of the timeline instance, meaning in/out point adjustments wont affect the timeline clip as I'd want it to, an easy workaround for that is to simply do an overwrite insert from the SM to update the timeline clip instance with my in/out changes, at least for cases where I've just moved the in/out points and not changed the duration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example, to search within the clip for things that happen before or after what is contained within the trimmed clip. (e.g. during interviews).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Source Monitor, by design, shows the source clip, and not the clip on the timeline. Once you place a clip on the timeline, it is an instance that only references the source clip. 

Any edits made to a timeline clip do not affect the source clip in any way. For e.g. if you rotate the clip in the Timeline, it'll not show rotated in the Source Monitor, because that isn't applied to the source clip. Only Master Effects applied to the source clip will show up in the Source Monitor.

Since your Source Monitor is 1080p, any 4K clip will show up cropped within that. The only way to get a larger clip to fit in a Source Monitor is to apply a Master Transform effect and scale it down. This is basically what the Scale to Frame Size option is doing - it's a pre-transform that modifies the source clip, so Premiere thinks it is of a different resolution.

There are several techniques/workarounds you can use to assist with your editing - slip edits, markers, pancake editing with a 4K timeline, off the top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you wrote would make sense if it weren't for how the non-scaled clip still displays properly in the SM when loaded from the project window instead of from an instance in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what? You make a good point. The Source Monitor should be able to fit the clip, and I can't think of a good reason for it not to. Please submit a bug/feature request here, and link back to it and I'll upvote it: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

any update on it?

this problem seems to not be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines