• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BEWARE Adobe's new Canadian billing [edited by moderator]

Contributor ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two days ago, upon logging into the Adobe.com site, the home page had a big bold announcement - I could pay my fees in Canadian $ instead of USD. 

All I had to do was check a box and future billings would be in my home currency. There was nothing else required just check the box if I wanted to make payments in CDN instead of USD. 

Since I'm in Canada this was great news.

Here's what Adobe actually did. A few hours later my credit card company called to warn me that a foregn transaction had gone through on my credit card, it was from Adobe. An hour later I received a receipt and congratulations from Adobe for starting an all new subscription. 

Since I had not started  new subscription I called Adobe support. They told me I had chosen to cancel my current, PRE-PAID ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION, I had lost the use of the remaining 6 months of that PRE-PAID subscription, and that I had started an all new subscription that actually cost $40/year more. 

WHAT?!

This is straight-up fraud by Adobe. The offer to pay in Canadian dollars made no mention of cancelling my current subscription and losing all pre-paid months. It made no mention of requiring the start of an all new  subscription. And it did not state that the price would be $40/year more. 

When I followed up with Adobe account & billing support they said they didn't know anything about offer, just that I had chosen to cancel my subscription and forfeit the pre-paid months. I asked to speak to a supervisor. They guaranteed a supervisor would call me back within 24 hours. It's been 48 hours and the supervisor has not called back. 

[Irrelevant remarks removed by moderator.]

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.
TOPICS
Billing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

I'm Canadian and I did the same thing as you and Adobe created me a new account and immediately billed me.  But at the end of the month, I saw on my credit card that they reimbursed me the difference between the date of the creation of the new account and the time of the end of my previous payment.  And the difference between the US and the Cad is the amount af sales taxes wich are higher in Canada. (But you have the right to claim a reimbursment for those taxes as canadian professionnal when yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear about your experience.  But you know the old saying... "if it 'ain't broke, don't fix it?"

To convert to Canadian payment terms requires closing the original account and starting a new one.  This public user-to-user forum cannot help you with a billing matter.  Only Adobe support can do that.  Call back and ask for a billing supervisor.  Also refer to your original case number which you can access 24/7 from your Adobe account portal.

1. With a browser that accepts cookies and does not have script blockers, please log-in to your account portal below. https://account.adobe.com/plans
2. Scroll down to Contact Adobe on the same page.
3. Online chat is available in English 24/7.
4. In the chat box, type AGENT followed by enter key and wait for a human.
5. Alternately, phone customer service M-F during normal business hours.
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

For reference:
How do I Cancel my Subscription?
https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html
===============
Subscription & Cancellation Terms:
https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, 

Thanks for adding the info above. 

Some important points, 

1. the system was broken, I couldn't pay in my home currency
  2. the offer to pay in Canadian dollars made no mention of losing prepaid account months
  3. the offer to pay in Canadian dollars made no mention of requiring the creation of an all new account
  4. the Adobe billing and account support staff don't know anything about this offer
  5. the offer to pay in Canadian dollars said the price would be the same, but it's about $40/year more
  6. following up with Adobe support is a painful and protracted experience that requires hours and hours. They do not call back as they promise to do so the whole time consuming process starts all over again. 

The process is not transparent. It's a cash grab by a mega-corp.

Corporate photographer based in Calgary, Canada and Oviedo, Spain. Making portraits, architectural, industrial and advertising photography for national and global brands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you previously getting a Student/Teacher discount?

If yes, are you still an eligible student/teacher? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not previously getting a Student/Teacher discount. Adobe is just charging Canadians more than they charge US citizens - it's a deceitful cash grab. The marketing blurb literally said the fees would be the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Canadian and I did the same thing as you and Adobe created me a new account and immediately billed me.  But at the end of the month, I saw on my credit card that they reimbursed me the difference between the date of the creation of the new account and the time of the end of my previous payment.  And the difference between the US and the Cad is the amount af sales taxes wich are higher in Canada. (But you have the right to claim a reimbursment for those taxes as canadian professionnal when you are registered to the  GST but you can't claim reimbursement of the US taxes.

Check your credit card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Serdrag,

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The quoted price looks fair. CAD $69.99 . Convert that to US dollars, using the typical 3% credit card currency charge and you get US$53.47. US subscriber price $52.99. Since Adobe have to take the gamble on rates going up or down, during the year-long contract, I don't see a problem with that 48 cents; it's the price you pay for a stable charge.  Of course, tax will be added from a purchase made in Canada, but that's the law.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines