Beware of the $40 early cancellation fee

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will charge you an early cancellation fee if you cancel your account before your year ends.

I feel this is totally abusive of them as it's in the smallest of prints when you sign up, and then they leverage it to force you to "accept" one of their "offers" and keep you on the hook for another year contract.

Bad business practice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but the cancellation fee that you refer to is not a fixed $40 fee, but is actually half of what you would have paid for had you continued your subscription until the last month of your subscription year. If this had been a single-app subscription, that $40 fee is actually half of the subscription cost for four months of the subscription year. This meant that you would have cancelled the subscription with between four and five months remaining in your subscription year.

The only way to avoid (or rather circumvent) the early cancellation fee would be to cancel the subscription within the first 14 days of the last month of your subscription year. In your situation, having used the subscription for seven months already, going with a truly monthly subscription would have been no better than the default "annual plan paid monthly" that you signed up for since the truly monthly subscription already costs 50% more money on a per-month basis than the default plan to begin with.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason for that is that you chose a one year commitment in order to get a reduced price compared to the monthly plan.

The cancellation fee reflects the difference in price.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was a sale price, not their normal monthly billing price.  Finding out otherwise and that I've signed up for a year, necessarily or at cost, sucks.  Companies should be more transparent.  Here's my transparency: I think Adobe sucks.  And they'll probably delete my comments. What sort of community member are they?  Aren't we trying to save this world?  Do we have to get shafted by companies that sell software no less, as they didn't even give me something like a pair of jeans.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but your comments make no sense.

And Adobe had never charged that low of a price for a perpetual license to use its pro-level software to begin with. Not even when it was on sale. The last perpetually-licensed version of Premiere Pro cost a whopping $900 right off the bat (as I had already mentioned in other posts related to the software cost).

Speaking of the Premiere Pro subscription (for the single app), the $20 plus taxes charge is actually a discounted subscription price, paid monthly when you choose a yearly commitment to the subscription. If you choose a truly monthly subscription, you will have to pay $30 plus taxes - 50% more than your cost for the annual subscription right off the bat.

And Adobe is not alone. Almost everyone else is transitioning to the subscription model as well. And even Microsoft, for some of its business users, now requires those users to pay a monthly subscription fee just to even run the Windows OS.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just like utilities and essentail services ( water etc. ) it's best to get a paper bill and pay via direct payment from you bank or by paper check.

it's best to not subscribe to anything that automatically takes money out of your account by month or whatever ( like car insurance, editing programs, etc. )

you let them put their hand in your pocket and legally you can't afford to fight them because you became a slave and they will take your money, no matter how it is rationalized.

get resolve and get out of subscription hype and asset management via adobe.

you know, when you sign up they can claim your money as an asset on bank statements, which increases their net worth and credit limits internationally.

just get out and thank heaven you only had to learn that with $40

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The information about cancellation fees is in the same size font as the rest of the information on the Terms & Subscriptions page.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kinda similar to what the u.s. govt. claims re: american indian treaties in the 1800's... ( sioux treaty etc. )... it's rightous and in plain english... so suck it up and be a man.

hehe...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is no longer a friendly provider of software, in my opinion. I will endeavour to avoid using Adobe in the future.  Charging a huge cancellation fee, for software, buried in the fine print, surprises and upsets me.  I no longer like Adobe. Think of being a client - how do YOU want to be treated?    I will be telling others about this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines