• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cancelation Fee?? What’s the purpose.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the point of a cancellation fee?   Seriously.  What does that extra $30 or $90 or whatever fee go towards?  The strain of the computer to run a code to acknowledge you want to opt out of your current monthly payment?   I don't even get a cancellation fee from my ISP and I use them more than I use Adobe software.  No one attempt to lecture me on terms and clicking in an agreement.  That "cancellation" doesn't affect the bottom line of the company.  As others have staged before, you're milking people.  It's not breaking a lease for an apartment.   It's just renting access to a program on a monthly basis.  You (Adobe) more than make up for it with other avenues of income.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Chuck Norris, thank you for your feedback. If you decide to participate in the Adobe Community forums, please follow the Community Guidelines as listed at https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/bd-p/Using-the-Community?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all.  I will be locking this discussion now due to your previous responses.

If you wish to access Creative Cloud services without a cancellation fee, please purchase a monthly plan. For more information on the cancellation process, s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blah grammar errors be damned.  *shrug* 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The yearly rate is a lower monthly rate than the month to month rate.

The cancellation fee is to account for that difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying, but my primary question is, "what is the purpose" of the cancelation fee.  Anyone can say, "it's there to make up the differnce of someone canceling early".  Ok yes, for the sake of being a buisness, yes, you're going to find every little thing to charge.  

What purpose does it serve to charge a cancelation fee (that's usually more than what you're paying per month) within this type of buisness model.  The only thing the consumer is "renting (or leasing)" is a product key to access full features of an application and cloud service that they most likely never use.

What does that cancelation fee make up for, other than the obvious?   I'm just honestly curious about this process since I was never in a yearly plan, then mysteriously I was in one and charged month to month, then got dinged for the difference.  I hadn't been on Creative Cloud for a handful of months and decided it was no longer a neccesary expense.

*again, if you're going to come in and say "did you read the terms of service".... just keep scrolling.  That's such a crap and conceited reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what you are saying, but my primary question is, "what is the purpose" of the cancelation fee. 

By @ChuckNorrisUSAF

If you take an annual subscription, Adobe can plan to get the revenue for at least for a year. So, they can hire people and invest in infrastructure, they can keep the cost of making business lower etc. It's common practice that if you engage for a year you get better prices than if you are just taking a subscription on the month.

What does that cancelation fee make up for, other than the obvious?   I'm just honestly curious about this process since I was never in a yearly plan, then mysteriously I was in one and charged month to month, then got dinged for the difference.  I hadn't been on Creative Cloud for a handful of months and decided it was no longer a neccesary expense.

By @ChuckNorrisUSAF

The terms you agree on clearly say "Annual plan, paid monthly".

Abambo_0-1619738214241.png

That's the same with my rent (well the rent has a 3-month notice), my phone subscription, my internet subscription, utilities etc.

But yes, people use this and prefer it over the monthly plan, as that one is more expensive ... on the month.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChuckNorrisUSAF,

This is a user-to-user forum.  Unless you see an all red Adobe STAFF badge, we are not Adobe employees.  We are unpaid forum volunteers and fellow product users like you. 

In a nutshell, it's very simple to understand.  You had two choices when you joined.  Either pay the more costly month-to-month fee which can be cancelled ANYTIME without penalty.  Or pay less per month with the understanding that a) your price won't go up and b) you won't cancel for 12 months.  Simple, simple stuff.

What's the 50% termination fee used for?  It's a penalty for cancelling early because you said you wouldn't.  Now Adobe must go back and adjust their balance sheets to comply with federal requirements imposed in part by the Dodd-Frank Act of 2010. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodd%E2%80%93Frank_Wall_Street_Reform_and_Consumer_Protection_Act

Hopefully that answers your question. 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I whole heartedly appreciate your expert insight.......but I think a couple of you missed the part where I said I was in a month to month plan, and by no choice of my own, my account was swapped to a yearly plan, which I was unaware of until I went to cancel my plan.  I did clearly state that above, yet your pointing out to me it was my error I didn't read the fine print.  Do some of you realize the responses you give to those who are generally curious or have legit issues comes off as smug?   Even reading through other peoples postings who have had similar issues,  it's apparent some of the community "helper" types that frequent the boards really need to work on their bedside manner.  LoL.

"You messed up, why didn't you pay attention".  That's literally the impression you give.  👏🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, @ChuckNorrisUSAF I would not add to what @Peru Bob@Nancy OShea, and @Abambo tried explaining to you in all earnest. However, I would ask you to learn to be a bit considerate about whom you are addressing. These are volunteers here trying to help folks out, and even if you don't appreciate it lots of people like me benefit immensely from these forums. Now coming to your grievance that these folks missed the main part of your question for which you suggested them to learn some bedside manners, I would point to a different thing. Go ahead and read what your question heading is "Cancelation Fee?? What’s the purpose." and in subsequent posts, you keep on harping to person after person that you seriously want to know about the business practices of Adobe. If you were seriously interested in a solution your post should have been marked something like "Why did my monthly plan change to a yearly plan and now I am charged a cancellation charge". So I reiterate again, rather than asking others trying to help you out to learn some manners you better learn to be more articulate in what you write and also develop a sense of identifying which query is suited for which audience. For knowing the nitty-gritty of business practices of an organization of the size of Adobe you will have to talk to their higher management for that I suppose you will have to subpoena them but not ask volunteers on peer-to-peer forums.

P.S.:- And by the way, I also wanted to know about the foreign policy of the US, would you mind enlightening me on that or oops this is not the correct place to talk about it, seriously, LoL

P.P.S.:- Your such an important point of "plans getting switched" is not even mentioned in your initial post. So much for the seriousness and credibility of the query, right?

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Manan Joshi  Speaking of snarky responses; how kind of you. I appreciate your time and effort.  (Yes, now I'm being dismissive of you since your reply was not neccessary and is not conducive to this post).  My apologies for you having to waste your time replying to this.  We can discuss Foreign Policy all you want.  In that aspect, I do have some extesnsive experience.  I am curious what other countries do to in contrast to our own actions.   Was that articulate enough for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChuckNorrisUSAF my response was very much needed to make you realize that being mean to others for no fault of theirs and that too when they are trying to help is not acceptable. As far as wasting my time goes, then again I would say it was a sound investment. You accuse others of missing the point but you keep on missing it yourself. You mentioned articulation but could not answer what I asked about your choice of stress on points that later were secondary to your concern. Regarding foreign policy also I picked a mundane topic to get across the point that however knowledgeable you are it does not matter because at the end of the day you are not a decision-maker and this is not a forum for discussing it. The same goes with the business practices of Adobe, no one here is expected to know about it with surety, so all these folks were doing was trying to get you some help which you rejected outrightly. Try being kind to people sometimes it feels good, you don't have to pay for it, and yeah I am being snarky but you forced it. Have a nice day.

P.S.:- Someone did try to help you again but instead of responding to that first you choose to answer me instead. See as I say priorities my friend. Anyways I would like to end this discussion now, as there is no point arguing endlessly. Have a nice day.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw their response - it wasn't necessary to respond direct to them since you made it more imperative with your long detailed reply that you be heard over them.  As for your response, you decided to insert yourself into the conversation for the sake of wanting to be the "dad" in the room and lecture me.  Your view of me being disrespectful (or mean as you stated it) to the previous replies is a bit of a stretch as I only gave an observation that the tone of a reply gave off the impression as smug.  I didn't specificly say "you're smug or you're an ass, etc etc".  I'm now only enjoying this back and forth since you made the effort to jump into this fire and engage with me.  As with all social media platforms, maybe we just "keep scrolling" instead of inserting ourselves into something, which eventually derailed this whole topic.  

But seriously, Foreign Policy is an excellent discussion.       Enjoy your day kind sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chuck Norris, thank you for your feedback. If you decide to participate in the Adobe Community forums, please follow the Community Guidelines as listed at https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/bd-p/Using-the-Community?page=1&sort=latest_repli....  I will be locking this discussion now due to your previous responses.

If you wish to access Creative Cloud services without a cancellation fee, please purchase a monthly plan. For more information on the cancellation process, see https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/creative-cloud-subscription-terms.html.   I reviewed the account you used to post to this public discussion forum, and there are no active plans listed.  If you need assistance with the cancellation process, please begin a secure chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said I was in a month to month plan, and by no choice of my own, my account was swapped to a yearly plan (...)

By @ChuckNorrisUSAF

What were the monthly costs of your plan? Look if they changed at some time.

Please contact Adobe support and ask them when and why your plan changed. We can only point out to the obvious, but we have no insight into your account. Adobe customer care can be contacted here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html - click the small callout at the lower right of the screen.

(see also here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11875703)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines