• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I enable TOTP 2-factor authentication for use with 3rd party app (e.g. Google authenticator)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to enable 2-factor authentication on my Adobe account but using TOTP that is supported by many 3rd party apps (Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, password managers, etc.). I use my password manager to manage all of my TOTP 2-factor authentication. I do not want to have to use and manage the Adobe Account Access app for just this one single account. I see several references of this being supported for the Adobe account:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/global/2-step-verification-account-security.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/2-step-verification-account-security.html#another-method

but my account settings page is missing the option to enable this type of 2-factor authentication. I only have the options for the Adobe Account Access app, email, and SMS/phone text. How do I enable 2-factor authentication for use with 3rd party TOTP apps?

TOPICS
Account management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, you can't. It's a bloody nuisance, but the only 2FA that works with Adobe is Adobe's. 

I've got something like 4 or 5 authenticator apps because everyone either uses one that's home grown or uses one of several available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just ridiculous. I have 732 items in my password manager. Let's say that only half of those are actual passwords for sites (its more than that), and let's say that a quarter of those support 2-factor authentication (again it's more than that), then that would be I would need 183 apps to authenticate to each site. That is just plain ridiculous and unsustainable. Adobe should be using industry standards, like the other major tech companies do, instead of creating their own app. This is such a nuicance. Even worse, they refer to the ability to be able to use such apps in the above two links I referenced, but then don't give you the ability to actually enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RojmaE, i think we all agree.

but these are user-to-user forums.  make your feelings known to adobe.

for applicable apps, use https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

for others, use https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there are no Adobe representatives that monitor these forums? This is just user based held? I love how Adobe farms off their support to the user community. Thanks for the tips though. I will make sure I let my feedback known to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes.  but none that have any more sway than you regarding this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have totp 2 factor on my account at the moment. Out of curiosity I set up a dummy account and noticed the totp option is missing from security preferences. Given the documents you referenced it appears to be a feature Adobe is trying to phase out - but I can't understand why! I haven't had any notification towelling me to use SMS or Adobe Access and hope this doesn't change anytime soon, if ever!

as already posted by others, feeding back direct to Adobe might be the only way to get this issue even close to being addressed. Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael27748411un2m 

i'm aware of no chage to 2fa  but a number of people have complained about needing to use another authenticator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added totp to my Adobe account in September 2018 and this is a screen shot of my account settings. Verify with SMS is offscreen and further down. On other accounts I believe there are only the options to use Adobe access, email or sms. 

on one hand you are correct, I have experienced no change in my login experience regarding 2FA however it is clear something did change in regards to accounts that hadn't set up totp before a certain date.

FFC1A29B-D105-4D66-B174-BFFFA5BE1553.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't see anything about totp.  and my account looks about the same considering the different setting.

ss.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I explained I set it up in 2018. Adobe clearly offered this as an option previously. The option isn't missing due to a technical limitation, or one could assume it would have been patched for users to use again. Given they have Adobe Access as an option, my guess would be they are pushing that as their software token of choice, whilst still offering email and SMS. The only reason I must still have it is because I enabled it before they removed totp as an option.

The main reason I wanted to reply here was to inform everyone that totp was certainly available at one point in time, and not that Adobe had never supported totp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-desktop-ideas/third-party-authenticator-apps/idc-p/143...

Remember to tag me when responding to me in case I'm not subscribed to the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is a little older but still an issue.  I just got a new phone.  I was using a 3rd-party Authenticator with my Adobe CC account then.  When I went into security, I saw no way to update or change it, so I thought it might be hidden behind the on/off toggle.  So I toggled "off", then the whole 3rd-party row in that section vanished.  It left only the Adobe Auth app as the option.  Not cool, Adobe.  Please turn the option to use 3rd-party authentication apps back on.  You can do it.  We know you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you were using a different (from adobe's) authenticator on your previous phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-desktop-ideas/third-party-authenticator-apps/idc-p/143... elaborates.

Remember to tag me when responding to me in case I'm not subscribed to the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same experience. I've been migrating all my accounts away from Authy to an alternative authenticator app, and every other website has allowed me to remove the existing authenticator app from the security settings and then add a new one. But with Adobe, after removing Authy (which I had set up successfully a few years ago), it now offers no option other than their own Adobe Account Access app.

This is undoubtedly nothing but a blatant attempt to get their app on your phone so that they can violate your privacy by harvesting unnecessary personal data for their own purposes! (...just like all Meta apps)

Dear Adobe, some of us have worked in the IT industry for decades - we're not THAT clueless! Your app is NEVER going on my phone - I'd prefer to completely delete my Adobe account!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this is 2023 and Adobe uses their own 2FA app. My 32GB iPhone doesn’t like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my iphone has no problem with adobe's 2fa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're making the point that on a phone with little storage, the more saved, the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines