• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving CC to new PC

Contributor ,
Apr 02, 2022 Apr 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I buy a new PC and clone my entire Win10 OS to a new C: drive, would my subscription recognise the hardware change and be invalid, or stay running as is?

TOPICS
Account management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new PC probably won't be able to boot from a drive cloned from another computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh... I thought that was the point of software like 'Macrium Reflect'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Macreium Reflect,  Acronis, and EaseUS  Todo.

The main purpose of cloning is to be able to restore to the same computer.

Restoring to a different computer, no matter what the software claims, is hit or miss.  It doesn't always work as advertised. 

It would be best to do a clean installation of Windows and then install the proper drivers and software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I see what you mean; it's cloning not just my stack of software, but the drivers for the hardware I put it on, and that's not going to match the new chassis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a problem and used my full backup to go to a new computer with the same brand & model motherboard... and everything had to be re-activated since each motherboard has a hardware coded identifier... and once Win10 was reactivated all the programs did the same

For my situation it was quicker than doing fresh installs, but still not really a seamless operation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines