Exit

Old Adobe ID not recognized

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe support team,

I wonder if you can help me.

I have an old version of Illustrator CS 5.1 used on a Windows 7 laptop, that I don't use any more, and now I would like to use that AI CS 5.1 on a new Windows 10 laptop.

During the setup I am asked for the Adobe ID & password that I used at the time when I bought that licence. And that was some years ago; winter 2011-2012.

I know the Adobe ID from that time but I don't find the password anymore. I've tried to use "password forgotten" but in the Adobe login screen my old ID (email) is not recognized anymore.

Can you find please that old password from that old ID in your old database ?

I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

Virgil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

you need to (properly) removed previously installed files from your computer. ie, you once install adobe cc on your computer.

to do that:

if any cc apps are on your computer, uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

properly (using the uninstallers) uninstall everything adobe pre cc that's on your computer

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-messaging

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

oops, i just noticed you installed the cc desktop app with dreamweaver.  so you'll need to properly uninstall that too.

but before you start any uninstalls, answer the questions in my previous post, or IF you already have your acrobat xi install file and serial number secured, and you already cancelled your dreamweaver trial (and make sure it was cancelled, or you will be charged for a subscription):

uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't need those.

you need the installation file to install and you need your serial number to activate.

do you have both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum, not support

Adobe does NOT do support by email, so beware of answering anyone who sends you a private message
-click for more information about scammers https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Registration of CS5 is irrelevant now that it's discontinued & unsupported.  So no need for your old Adobe log-in details.

As others have said, you need your installation disks that you received at purchase, a compatible OS and a valid serial number to activate the software. 

It's unclear how much longer CS5 activation will be possible.  Pre-CS5 products can no longer be activated.  So start saving for modern software that will perform well with modern equipment & OSs. Illustrator has changed a lot in 12+ years. 🙂

Creative Cloud All Apps (51 + apps & services) and Single App Plans
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers. I see what you mean, all of you.

I use AI CS5 occasionally, I'm not a professional.

Yes, I have the serial number. That is ok. After the serial number comes the screen with Adobe ID (email+password) (see the image below).

Even if the support for CS5 is discontinued, I see that the setup procedure asks for the Adobe ID. 

How can I skip it ?

Is there any special installing procedure that doesn't ask for this ID ?

Any ideeas ?

Thank you.

vima91_0-1671614348129.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to (properly) removed previously installed files from your computer. ie, you once install adobe cc on your computer.

to do that:

if any cc apps are on your computer, uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

properly (using the uninstallers) uninstall everything adobe pre cc that's on your computer

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of all adobe files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

restart your computer (don't skip this)

restart your cs5.1 install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for these detailed instructions. I will try that.

As a matter of fact, I had a look at Dreamweaver, so it is installed together with CC app.

But I also have installed an old Acrobat Pro XI that I use regularly and I'd like to keep it.

Is it included in the "uninstall everything adobe pre cc" ? 

Thank you for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

everything includes dreamweaver cc of any version and acrobat xi 

RE: acrobat xi

you'll need to reinstall it.  for that you'll need the installation file and serial number.  you can recover your serial number BEFORE uninstalling and cleaning and you can probably still get the installation file.  do you need help with either of those BEFORE uninstalling and cleaning?

RE: any cc app including dreamweaver.  if you're still on your trial period, you can wait to do all this or let me know what your dreamweaver situation is. eg, trial or subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. Your information is really of great help.

Dreamweaver trial is finished and I don't intend to use it. Meanwhile I have unisntalled all CC (DW and CC desktop) with the uninstallers, following your instructions. So far, so good.

Normally, I should be able to handle the whole procedure you described.

I'm asking you for further details in order not to comit the irreparable. I wouldn't like to lose Acrobat, that I use far more often than AI.

So, it remains only the Acrobat Pro XI on my laptop.  I have the installation package and the serial number.

But I remember there was a problem when I installed it on Windows 10 (don't know more details) and I asked for the remote assistance of Adobe support. I don't know what the technician did (it was very rapidly, maybe 1 min) and I could install the Acrobat ok. Than was in 2018, when I bought the new laptop.

Later I tried to install AI as well but, not being very important for me, and confronted with the installation errors I abandoned. Now I try to reinstall AI though is still non essential for me. But some times it helps me.

So, I'm affraid that when reinstalling Acrobat I'll have the same problem. And I don't have the remote support anymore.

What do you think about this ?

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

using the cleaner is risky because we should uinstall acrobat xi (before cleaning everything) and while, because the tech repaired whatever problem you were having, we should also be able to repair it, there are no guarantees. and, of course, it's going to be more difficult to fix via forums messages.

so, i would recommend, retrying to install ai cs5.1, at this point and see if you've already done enough with the cc uninstall to remove that prompt for the sign-in.

if so, the install will probably proceed to the prompt for you to enter your ai 5.1 serial number.  then we'll see how that goes (but we'll be done with the sign-in road block and acrobat xi is safe).

if not, ie, if you're again prompted to sign in, cancel the ai install.

run the cleaner BUT select cc only, not everything.  that should (but may not) protect acrobat xi.

after running the cleaner restart your computer.

restart the ai install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, should be yes but maybe no.

I'll think over it, see if it's worthy taking the risk of, at least, spending some time (maybe a lot), with the Acrobat reinstallation.

As AI is not essential for me, maybe I'll keep as it is and use the old laptop when need AI.

If problems, I'll come back with questions.

Thanks again for your enlightening information.

Best wishes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just fyi, I've tried again installation ai. same result. negative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@vima91 

thanks for the follow-up.  and i understand about your choice to leave well enough alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oops, i just noticed you installed the cc desktop app with dreamweaver.  so you'll need to properly uninstall that too.

but before you start any uninstalls, answer the questions in my previous post, or IF you already have your acrobat xi install file and serial number secured, and you already cancelled your dreamweaver trial (and make sure it was cancelled, or you will be charged for a subscription):

uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of all adobe files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

restart your computer (don't skip this)

install acrobat xi and activate with its serial number

install ai 5.1 and activate with its serial number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines