Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pop Up

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a pop up this morning that says:

“com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper” would like to access files on a removable volume.

What is this? Why did I get it? Do I select Don't Allow or OK?

Thanks

TOPICS
Account management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheermadness, what Adobe application are you using when this error occurs?  What operating system is installed on the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My operating system is Catalina 10.15.1. I wasn't using any Adobe application that I am aware of when this popped up unless it was something going on in the background. I think I was in Outlook looking at email but could have been texting, not really sure. 

A few days ago I was on a webpage that said I needed Adobe Flash Player for the page to work. I did look into getting it but kept seeing there really isn't any reason to have it now so I gave up on it. Not sure if that incident could have precipitated this pop up or not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I am sorry, Sheermadness, but I am not familiar with the error you posted.  You may want to run a full scan with anti-virus software to verify there is nothing unexpected on the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_A_Wright -- I just got this message, too. This happened overnight, while I was away from my keyboard, so is there any chance that:

1. Somehow this could be triggered by a Time Machine backup on the mac?
  2. Adobe Reader or some other program could be scanning drives to catalog things (e.g., PDF files, ebooks)?

When I look at the Activity Monitor (this is also Catalina), and search for "adobe" I see:

com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper
com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator

...both running as root.

When I display them hierarchically, they are started by launchd.  If you can tell me how to figure out how these jobs were registered with launchd, I will look for further information.

I keep getting a Backup Failed from Time Machine, which is what makes me suspect that this might be related, but it's possible that this is just tying up the external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe reader does not scan anything when you are not using it. Service programs may do unattended scans. This can be standard activity and the message is triggered because you or the system changed some security settings. It can also be, as suggested by Jeff, illicit activity.

com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper

looks like being a helper process to update Acrobat reader. In general Adobe programs when installed tend to use a bunch of background programs. If you do not have Adobe programs installed, this could be a leftover from a former install.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so, can we trust this file?

yes or no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just recieved the same message; “com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper” would like to access files on a removable volume while not using my computer over night.

I find it worrying and a even scary that Adobe software contain so many applications and processes that not even Adobe know about them all. Not only are they eating up system resources big time, but also making your system less secure. Because basically any malware just need to use adobe in the name, and you will ignore it because there are a thousand others, and Adobe themselves (apparently) cannot tell you whether or not they're legit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines