Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems updating CC desktop app

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm having troubles with the updates to my CC desktop app. I receive the error message 'Creative Cloud update failed' and error code 198. This happened 2 weeks ago, with a different error code, and at the same time some app updates failed. I was helped by Adobe's online chat support, but had to remove then reinstall the CC desktop app, as well as all my apps.

Now the problem with the CC desktop app update has started again, but with a different error code (198), and there is no information on this error code on the Adobe pages.

Has anybody else been experiencing these issues, or know what the error code means?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Account management

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Bill19, sorry you are encountering error 198 while attempting to update the Creative Cloud desktop app.  Error 198 is rare and only occurs when the installer was unsuccessful with creating a backup in a temporary location, for recovery purposes, during the installation process.

Since this error is so unique, I would recommend you start by reviewing the settings for any installed security or utility software. Any software title which has the ability to modify files or block permission is suspec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Hi Jeff

It looks like it was my Norton Internet Security that was the cause of the problem. It also led to an errot code 146, but updates to the CC Desktop app, and some of my Adobe apps, were successful when i switched off Norton.

Thanks

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us more about your operating system and version, the software and version. Please use EXACT version numbers. "Latest version" does not tell us that you really have the latest version and will no more be true at the next version level.

General advice:

How to fix errors when installing the Creative Cloud desktop app 

Uninstall, use the CC Cleaner app to clean-up the mess and reinstall.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

My computer is running Windows 10 Education.Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763

I have CC Desktop app version 5.1.0.407 installed. 

When I previously encountered this same problem I worked with the Adobe chat support, and the helpful consultant worked with me to uninstall the previous version, to use the CC Cleaner app, and to reinstall. The consultant also advised me to uninstall all the CC apps, and then reinstall.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill19, sorry you are encountering error 198 while attempting to update the Creative Cloud desktop app.  Error 198 is rare and only occurs when the installer was unsuccessful with creating a backup in a temporary location, for recovery purposes, during the installation process.

Since this error is so unique, I would recommend you start by reviewing the settings for any installed security or utility software. Any software title which has the ability to modify files or block permission is suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff

Thanks, your helpful suggestion solved my problem.

I have Norton Internet Security, Malewarebytes, and Acronis True Image (with active protection) installed. When i switched them all off the CC Desktop app successfully updated. Do you know how i can prevent this happening again?

Best wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can reduce security settings in your anti-virus apps.

Consult the help documents for those respective products.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update, Bill!

In addition to Nancy's suggestion, you could also use the process of elimination to determine the software title, causing the error.  Once the title has been identified, I would then recommend contacting the software manufacturer for information on how to update the security/utility software's settings to no longer interfere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much Jeff for the suggestion, I'll do it!

Best wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Bill! Let us know if you have any additional questions.

If you can, please update this discussion thread with your results, Bill. It will aid others who may face similar errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

It looks like it was my Norton Internet Security that was the cause of the problem. It also led to an errot code 146, but updates to the CC Desktop app, and some of my Adobe apps, were successful when i switched off Norton.

Thanks

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update, Bill!  

I use Norton Internet Security on my personal computers and have not yet encountered Error 146.  For your next steps, I would recommend reviewing the settings for Norton, to adjust how it is blocking the installation process.  You may even want to contact Norton directly to see if they have any suggestions.

Alternatively, you may want to try removing and then reinstalling Norton Internet Security.  I have used this step to reset Norton Internet Security settings in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines