Trapped in an annual subscription - Don't fall for this scam

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the rundown:

Last month I needed to use lightroom to edit a few photos. I don't use lightroom often, I haven't touched it in a few years. But, I needed it for these photos so I ended up purchasing what I thought was a monthly subscription with the intention of cancelling later. It's marketted on their website as a "monthly payment," right beside the annual payment option. "Perfect!" I thought, "I don't need a full year, I only need the software for these photos I'll buy it for a month and cancel once I'm done, I won't be using it past that."

Boy was I suprised when I realized it wasn't a monthly subscription at all. Hiden inside pages of fine print is a $25.98 cancelation fee for ending a yearly subscription. WHAT??

I didn't want a yearly subscription! I never did! I only wanted this product for a few photos thats why I selected a monthly payment. This intentionally misleading and a total scam. 

What's even more ridiculous is that there is no was to contact customer support!

There's literally a button on their support page that says:

"Contact us. Real Help from Real People"

When you press the button it just takes you back to the default support page. No phone number, no email, even when you try doing the online chat it just bounces you back to the default page. They've now billed me for another month of a plan I don't want and are trying to charge me even more money to get out.

I can't believe a company like adobe would rely on hidden fees and misleading advertising to try and milk it's customers for an extra few dollars. I am truly disgusted.

I want my money back and I want out of this ridiculous plan!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOME programs are available Monthly https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Being-charged-for-a-full-year-when-i-m-on-month-to-month/... - links and pictures

-the special Photography Plan is ONLY available on an annual plan, with monthly or 1 annual payment
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/manage-cc-individual-membership.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're missing the point entirely.

There are pages and pages of info on different plans, prices and products that adobe offers. As a new customer (someone who is not familiar with adobe plans and payment structures) I shouldn't be expected to dig through dozens of pages and forums to figure out what I'm buying and where I'll be hammered on hidden fees. This information should be clear and transparent from the beginning and it isn't.

When I registered for adobe I got an email with a "more info" link that said the following:

"Cancellation details:
Cancel your annual subscription before Oct. 25 to get a full refund and avoid a fee.

You can cancel your subscription anytime via your Adobe Account page or by contacting Customer Support."

Avoid a fee? I wonder what that's all about? I'm guessing they're talking about cancelling before next months bill? Let me double check the "more info" link to see if there is a cancellation fee I missed somewhere during the checkout.

When I click the "more info" link right underneath the cancellation policy it takes me to this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html#

There is something incredibly devious about this page. Something that I expect most users won't notice but I did.

I clicked that link the day I registered for adobe looking specifically for anything that mentioned a cancellation fee. There was NOTHING. Not one word mentioning any form of cancellation fee. There is a section titled "Cancellation Fee and Refund" but says absolutely nothing about a cancellation fee, only talks vaguely about a 14 day refund.

I was quite suprised when I went to the same link this afternoon and noticed a new section that explains the cancelation fee: 50% of the remaining balance of the contract. What?? How can this be? I read that entire page a few weeks ago and I could have sworn it wasn't there before??

I figured out why. The section explaining the cancellation fees is not visible if you are logged out of your adobe account. When I navigate to the link while logged in: boom there it is plain as day; an entire section at the top of the page explaining the cancellation fees. But when I log out this entire section of the website magically dissapears!!!

This is a disgusting system designed specifically to trick new customers into thinking they can cancel at any time.

GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry about your situation. I can understand that you are unhappy with the cancellation terms, but those are the terms you agreed upon when you finalize the buy. The plan is labled "annual plan, paid monthly", so you really should explain what about annual is misleading.

Also in the terms that you explicitly agree upon, is clearly stated, that you will have to pay a cancellation fee, if you cancel early.1D6379C2-32FE-409A-87A2-F711E8D1F2BC.jpeg

2B65502B-DE10-4470-8875-39B2A0F87E05.jpeg

Again, I can understand that you didn't read all this beforehand, but all the terms and conditions are not that long and are not that fine print. The terms and conditions I agreed upon for my phone service were one full page, written in 8 point font and were really hard to read. 

Now if you want to contact Adobe on this, you can do so, by simply following the instruction hereafter (fyi it works):

Adobe customer care can be contacted by beginning a secure chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen. Pop-up blockers need to be disabled! If the chat window fails to open, or is non-responsive, use a different device to start the interaction.
Support phone numbers may be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html. Please note that phone charges may apply.

(see also here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11875703 or here
https://community.adobe.com/t5/account-payment-plan/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11843852)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines