• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe intend to fine me for cancelling account

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe are actually fining me 43 € for cancelling my annual account (after subscribing for several years) - this is incredible, specially in light of the subscription renewing AUTOMATICALLY. How do you change automatic renewal? - by cancelling your account, what a joke! I wanted to contact Adobe about this, but apparantly there is actually no way to contact customer support - you can only commnicate with a virtual assistant. Fine, Adobe, rob me of 43 euros but I will never pay another cent for your products.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

You see that link in the below picture? If you followed it when you purchased your subscription, you would be taken to this page, where it is very clearly stated that subscriptions automatically renew and provides the information about the cancellation fees. By buying the subscription, you agreed to both.

There is no option to opt out of that automatic renewal; I wish there were, but I consider it unlikely that Adobe will make that possible.

adobe terms.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 09, 2020 Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Get-Started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the site you used to try to contact Adoce customer service? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What form does the fine take? 

If it’s the payment for the rest of a started year then it would not appear to be a fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got a very large discount in exchange for signing up to a year at a time. So, you took the discount but don’t want to pay what you agreed?

(When you are bored with Adobe’s Support robot, type AGENT)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I made this clear in the post - The subscription is automatically renewed and there is no way to remove the automatic renewal..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is absolutely correct. Auto renewal is part of the deal, like subscriptions to many things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of what deal exactly? I agreed to a one-year subscription, I did not agree to have my subscription automatically renewed without the chance to manage the subscription myself. Judging by the amount of threads on this forum raising the very same issue it is absolutely a valid complaint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Manage your Account and cancel the subscription in the last month of the contract, that should prevent the auto-renewal from kicking in (note: I can't test this, my subscription is through my company).

Otherwise, you need to talk to Customer Service. This is a public forum, not Adobe support. Users, including the ACPs and MVPs, can't provide support for account, subscription, billing, download, or product activation issues. Support for those issues requires an Adobe customer service employee.

Click the following to contact Adobe customer support staff for help: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/support.html

You must be signed in with your Adobe ID and allow cookies in your web browser for this to work.

Click the chat icon at the bottom right of the page to open a chat session. Typing AGENT into the chat window should connect you directly to a CSR rather than the AI.

Edited to add: If your subscription is an annual contract with monthly payments, the terms of the contract state that you will pay a penalty of 50% of the remaining amount for the year. Adobe is not alone in charging a fee for an early cancellation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You see that link in the below picture? If you followed it when you purchased your subscription, you would be taken to this page, where it is very clearly stated that subscriptions automatically renew and provides the information about the cancellation fees. By buying the subscription, you agreed to both.

There is no option to opt out of that automatic renewal; I wish there were, but I consider it unlikely that Adobe will make that possible.

adobe terms.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, and I find that absolutely ridiculous. And just because I have, without realizing it, agreed to this doesn't mean that this practice is right and above all criticism.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody says it's above criticism. You are free to criticise. Doesn't make you right. And I am free to disagree with your criticism. Doesn't make me right, either. But this isn't your private platform for venting. Adobe seems to tolerate both of us having our say, so long as we remain civil about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's interesting. If the program DIDN'T auto renew I think we would see a hundredfold the complaints from people who forgot to renew and found themselves locked out of their software until they somehow managed to renew. This seems to be considered a normal and reasonable way to do business: many utilities, and magazine subscriptions work in exactly this way. The terms seem to be pretty much the same (auto payment after trial, auto renewal, no discount if a long term offer is cancelled early) as a subscription to "Which" - well known as the UK's comsumer champion against all unfair practice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What boggles my mind is that people blindly join an annual plan without reading the terms they agreed to.  You want to avoid penalty fees?  Wait until the 12th month to cancel.  Or simply join the higher priced month-to-month plan which allows you to cancel anytime without penalty.  Your choice.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And actually, the month-to-month plan is already priced a whopping 50% higher than the default annual plan paid monthly to begin with. Thus, by the time that the OP were to have canceled, the subscriber with the month-to-month plan might have paid a lot more money overall than if he were to have canceled an annual-plan-paid-monthly early, even with the termination fee. This is why the month-to-month plan is only a decent value for those subscribers who absolutely intend to terminate a subscription no more than five months after the initial sign-up. If this cancellation occurs starting with the sixth month of a month-to-month subscription, then the subscriber will have paid more money in total than if he is to cancel an annual plan paid monthly, even though the latter is subject to the early termination fee (which I included in the total cost comparison between the two).

This is exactly why at the end of my current subscription year (due on November 24 of next year), I will be canceling my current plan between October 24 and November 6, and switching to an annual plan prepaid instead. I will have to pay $600 plus tax upfront for this plan, but if I try to cancel again before that year is up for renewal, my subscription will simply not renew (as in what I will have paid will be nonrefundable, but my subscription will continue until the end of the current subscription plan year).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled my account last month yet they still debited me for a whole month until it expires after 3 days.

something sure does stink here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Onemore, I am still showing that you have an active Acrobat DC membership under the e-mail address you are using to post to this public discussion forum.

If you wish to cancel your membership, then please follow the process listed in http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cancel-membership-subscription.html which will allow you to complete the process yourself in most countries.  If you are unsuccessful, then begin a chat session at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html.

Unfortunately, I am showing no case history under the account you used to post to this public discussion forum.  Our chat team is always available 24 hours a day and seven days a week for account-related issues, but there are no records of you ever contacting us.  If you do receive a message that our chat team is unavailable, then please use a different computer, smartphone, or tablet to begin the interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines