• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Subscription Scam

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is supposed to be one of those companies that we look up to because they provide some of the best software for creatives.

So I subscribed to the Adobe Photography package for a year which is paid every month. I needed it only for 10 months, and when I tried to cancel it they asked for the remainder of the payment as "cancellation fee". So I let it go and thought I would cancel during the last month of the subscription which was in June 2020.

But because of the COVID-19 situation that we are in I forgot about it and was in the midst of dealing with some family matters. So when I tried to cancel it today Adobe wants to charge me for the remainder of the period as "cancellation fee" because somehow I opted in for the one-year renewal plan. 

So naturally, I tried contacting their customer service and was connected to someone named Sahil. The guy is horrible. This is one of the worst customer care experiences I've had ever. So this is how it went down;

1. First, he keeps me waiting for a long time to get back and reply. But I thought it's understandable because they might be working with reduced staff because of the COVID situation. That's understandable. But then he sends me some random stuff like this below;

abhayanv_0-1593756256597.png

I can still understand that it was some mistake and he might be dealing with multiple people at once.

2. But then we finally get to the matter at hand, which is to find a way to cancel my personal subscription. But he says that he can offer me 3 months free deal which would mean I would save some money in this plan. 

abhayanv_1-1593756408049.png

So I tell him that that's not what I want and I just want to cancel the subscription. I don't want to be paying 9 months for a service that I don't need just because they are going to sugar-coat the scam (I cannot find any other words to define this) with some free months. If they can give three free months, they can surely find ways for a customer to cancel a service that they don't want. 

3. And then the passive-aggressive "suggestion" kicks in - to take three months free and keep paying for the remaining 9 months for a service that I don't require any more. So that means if I forget to cancel next year at the same time Adobe will keep charging me more for the same unrequired service. 

abhayanv_2-1593756450802.png

I am shocked and saddened by Adobe's policy which is a borderline (if not actual) scam to pry money off the hands of innocent paying customers. That we didn't see a small line while signing up that suggests cancellation fee is not an excuse. Adobe is a creative services company that should be held to the highest moral and ethical standards. If not there is no difference between this and any other scam that's being perpetrated across the world. Shame on Adobe for this disgusting malpractice. And shame on them for creating a customer service that is inherently based on deception and duping people into paying for things that they don't need. 

Also, shame on them for continuing this during one of the worst pandemics and at a time when people are out of money and can't even fend for themselves. Adobe is, during this pandemic, living off people who can't find ways to support themselves, their families, and friends. What a terrible company for a terrible time.

I am sick to my core about this. Sorry for the long rant.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You opted in as part of your original license. Each year it auto renews for another year, so the cancellation charge applies to the remaining portion of the current year. I don't say this is good, but this is how it is.

"That we didn't see a small line while signing up that suggests cancellation fee is not an excuse. "

Or, perhaps, failing to carefully read before subscribing is no excuse. Such terms are very common, so I suggest reading all those small lines in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you 'click to agree' to the subscription terms while buying a subscription, that means that you really do need to read BEFORE you buy a subscription... https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html
-LOTS of screen pics of the terms https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Creative-Cloud-One-Years-Subcription-help/td-p/10379854 in reply #4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines