• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Charging a fee for unused portions of software seems unethical, unfair and unjustifiable

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not realise that there was a fee for cancelling an annual subscription that is paid monthly.  Perhaps I should have read the "fine-print " better - "buyer beware"!!!! 

Although that does not take away from the fact that I do not believe it is ethical or fair for Adobe to do so. In my country we would call your company <profanity removed> but in the USA, clearly unethical/criminal corporate behaviour appears to be accepted as normal. I will certainly not recommend your company to anyone.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

When you 'click to agree' to the subscription terms while buying a subscription, that means that you really do need to read BEFORE you buy a subscription... https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you 'click to agree' to the subscription terms while buying a subscription, that means that you really do need to read BEFORE you buy a subscription... https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John T Smith.  I recognise that nobody held a gun to my head as I signed up and did not read all of the terms and conditions completely........ "buyer beware".  It is my opinion (and clearly some people do not share this opinion - as is their right) that corporations have an obligation to their customers - especially in on-line transactions where there is no "SME or sales assistant to help to provide better, more customer friendly support it is also my opinion that Adobe should not charge for unused portions of subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl,  "John T. Smith" has had his account since 2006 and has 79,000 posts.  He's not a "fellow user", he's an Adobe employee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had an Adobe account since January 2002 and my early messages from that time were lost when Adobe moved to new forum software (which is rented from another company, Adobe did not write the software used for this forum) or my count would be even higher

An Adobe employee has a white A inside a red box next to their name, and they are clearly identified as an Adobe Employee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least they're putting a short version of the subscription terms on the purchase page now and are providing the cancel by date, too, which is a very useful thing to know.

new billing page info.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you LinSims.  I recognise that nobody held a gun to my head as I signed up and did not read all of the terms and conditions completely........ "buyer beware".  It is my opinion (and clearly some people do not share this opinion - as is their right) that corporations have an obligation to their customers - especially in on-line transactions where there is no "SME or sales assistant to help to provide better, more customer friendly support it is also my opinion that Adobe should not charge for unused portions of subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe do provide a monthly plan (at least for all apps, around $80/year). You signed up for the annual plan (paid monthly) for a very large discount over that (around $50/year), so it is natural that they can't allow you to freely cancel: that would be an insult to the people who did pay more for the monthly plan and the right to cancel at any time.  These kinds of plans are extrememely common for software, and outside the computer world, for utilities like electricity, apartment rental, car leasing, cellphones, etc. etc. so "reading the small print" can save you a lot of expense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello no-name.  Thank you for your comment. I respectfully disagree with your logic. It implies that the way things are is the way things have to be. I signed up to try the product and I tried to cancel one day after the deadline.  Adobe would like to charge me 50% of the annual fee as a penalty.  I do not thing that is fair or reasonable - I think it is gouging.

In my country, insurance companies refund unused portions of insurance and banks are not allowed to charge penalties for refinancing home loans - these are just two examples of how business can be done with a service that is provided. I am sure you must think that my country is backward or crazy for wanting to take care of its customers but in some societies it is expected.  Good luck to you, your country and your extrememely (sic) backward ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carl, It seems that Adobe is using 3rd party companies to respond here in the forum on any customer that has a complaint.  A very shady way to do business, but an easy cheap solution to make customers "go away".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe is using 3rd party companies to respond here in the forum on any customer that has a complaint.

Absolutely untrue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines