• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Don't want to cancel. Just want to stop auto renewal.

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me get this straight. I've purchased a subscribiton for a whole year and one year only. I do not wish to renew after one year. I go to my account, and the only option I have is to cancel my account.

Now most other companies, even the most greedy ones out there offer the user to tick out the "autorenewal" button (even if it is on by default and hidden behind a bunch of menu options and" are-you-sure-here-is-a-discount" prompts), but apparently not Adobe. Instead, the cancel option will immedialely terminate your subscription and as well, you will have to pay 50% up front for the remaining months!

So unless you babysit and make an appointment in your calendar for when you should cancel, you either lose out on what you payed for, or your subscribtion keeps rolling.

I really hope you get a civil lawsuit up your photoshopped butts for your awful business practices.

TOPICS
Billing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

you lose access immediately.

End of the month:

Annual subscription (paid monthly)

If you cancel within 14 days of your order, you will receive a full refund.

If you cancel after 14 days, your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period, and you’ll be charged an early termination fee of 50% of your remaining contract obligation. For example, if you have 5 months of your contract left when you cancel and you pay $20/month,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To turn off auto renewal, simply cancel your membership. Your subscription will continu until the next billing date :

Turn off auto-renewal for your Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope.png

Then why does it mention losing access to my desktop apps? And no mention of me being able to use my apps until the end of my subscribtion period?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask Adobe about this mention but it's normal that you keep your access until the end as you paid the full year .To be sure you can contact Adobe and they will cancel the renewal for you .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you paying for the month? You need to cancel the last month. CC will continue to work until the end of month.

Did you prepay for a year? You can cancel now and CC continues to work until the end of the prepaid period.

After the cancel get's active (after the paid period: end of the year or end of the current month), you will loose "access" to the programs coming with CC, with the exception of Bridge and Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom will change into a "light" version and bridge will still allow to browse your data. Other, non Adobe programs are not affected. Your data also stays accessible. When you decide to retake a subscription (even if only for a month), you will be able to edit your files again with Creative Cloud programs.

You can open your files with any third party program that allows you to read the files (like Gimp for Photoshop files). You will, however be limited to what that program can do with your file.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AND, if you have an annual plan, paid monthly, you promised to pay for the year. You cancel early for a penalty but you lose access immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Test+Screen+Name  wrote

you lose access immediately.

End of the month:

Annual subscription (paid monthly)

If you cancel within 14 days of your order, you will receive a full refund.

If you cancel after 14 days, your service will continue until the end of that month’s billing period, and you’ll be charged an early termination fee of 50% of your remaining contract obligation. For example, if you have 5 months of your contract left when you cancel and you pay $20/month, you’d pay 50% of the $100 remaining balance = $50 early termination fee.

How to cancel your Adobe Creative Cloud plan or membership

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the correction. End of the month in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone at Adobe is reading this:

This is against the law in California since 2017. See senate bill 313: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB313

There needs to be an obvious way to stop auto-renewal, or instructions for it must be posted somewhere. I hope this is fixed soon because it would be stupid for Adobe to be fined for such an obvious anti-consumer practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

federicod22120541  wrote

If anyone at Adobe is reading this:

This is against the law in California since 2017.

I think you should read the bill again. It seams to me as a non lawyer or trained in US law, that Adobe is completely in-line with it's policy.

Btw: the bill commenced on July 1, 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it's because I'm not a lawyer, but while this sounds like a Good thing to have in a law, it doesn't seem to say anywhere that there needs to be a way to stop auto renewal without cancelling. Doesn't seem to separate the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the service from Adobe in Germany, and experiencing  the same problem. Having reached online customer contact after "only" waiting  for 20 minutes today, the contact person refused to stop auto-renewal. This is illegal in Germany! If there are other clients  who are suffering from this practice and who feel them selves trapped as a customer , please contact me to start a class action lawsuit  against Adobe on this occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may cancel in the 12th month of service after final payment is processed.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says it is not about cancelling, it is about auto-renewal. Every recurring contract in Germany, either paid monthly or  yearly can be cancelled anytime for renewal. It is very annoying and uncomfortable from clients' perspective that there is not  any button to cancel auto-renewal !  Even contacting the customer service does not help! I do not see any benefit of Adobe doing this, but losing reputation and their clients.  What is the reason of insisting on that??

I am not a lawyer, but I am almost sure it is mandatory in Germany to have the  option for canceling  auto-renewal  of memberships. I 'll chase the issue to learn if I could file  an official complaint to the authorities here in Germany, and if so will do that. If anyone else wants to join and support me in doing this, s/he is welcome.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may err, but I do not remember such a consumer law. You should ask that a German consumer protection agency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow that, really did it for me. Why don't you ask adobe why they wont allow it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why dont you try and see for yourself the amount of hoops you have to jump through in order to get a straight answer? They keep evading the question and instead send you bull marketing shpiels instead of simply answering the questions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just illegal in Germany. It's falls under unfair-contract-terms as defined by the EU. When these things are passed in the EU parlament they are ratified by all member states into national law. Therefore most EU decisions are binding to all member states.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im in if you want to start a class action lawsuit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same. But class action across the EU is still difficult. It's better we launch 28 cases in each member state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it similarly. It's against European Consumer Rights protection:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/unfair-treatment/unfair-contract-terms/index_de.htm

I was only interested in puchasing the contract for one year and having missed the cancelation period I am now stuck with the contract for another year. I'm going to contact my lawyer. This could have been avoided if the auto renew could be turned of. But from my understanding this can be classified as unfair contract terms. Unfortunately class action across the EU is not yet possible. But we could launch national class action suits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines