Highlighted

What happens to my work when I cancel my subscription?

Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I have subscribed to Creative Cloud for some years, and some circumstance leads me to cancel my subscription, what happens to my work after cancellation. How do I open these native files (.indd, .ai, .psd) ?

If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?

If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

Please refer the below FAQ and it will answer most of your queries:

http://www.adobe.com/in/products/creativecloud/faq.html

-Harshit yadav

TOPICS
Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

What happens to my work when I cancel my subscription?

Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I have subscribed to Creative Cloud for some years, and some circumstance leads me to cancel my subscription, what happens to my work after cancellation. How do I open these native files (.indd, .ai, .psd) ?

If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?

If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.

-Harshit yadav

TOPICS
Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 07, 2013 3
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Harshit yadav

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 1
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you have understood my question, and it is not answered in the FAQ. If I cancel my subscription, I lose my work. I won't be able to open the files, because I no longer have any software that can open them.

Is this correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 4
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's correct, but you have paid the same amount of money as you would pay for a non-time-limited version. That's a really consumer-friendly distribution way. Sorry for my bad english, im german, and do my very best.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pauls,

Once you cancel your subscription, the product installed on your system would work fine for the consecutive 30 days as a trial version. Once those 30 days are up , your files and softwares would still be there but the software would then be giving you a pop up window requesting you to purchase the subscription . Without doing that , the product wouldnt work .

"If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?"

For the above mentioned question,Yes ! you are able to share your files (your projects) with another user who has CS6.

i hope this helps.

Kartikay Sharma

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect.

• As of right now (with Creative Cloud running CS6 apps) most of your files are compatible, but any Cloud-only features you have used in your work are of course not supported in the perpetually-licensed version.
  • When the new version (CC) ships, only some of the applications will include support for saving files into CS6-compatible formats. CS6 will officially become a legacy version at that time.

Kartikay_Sharma wrote:

"If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?"

For the above mentioned question,Yes ! you are able to share your files (your projects) with another user who has CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 1
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kartikay, the FAQ says:

"New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application."

So I expect this collaboration would be fairly limited between a CS user and a CC subscriber.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 0
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kartikay_Sharma wrote:

Hi Pauls,

Once you cancel your subscription, the product installed on your system would work fine for the consecutive 30 days as a trial version. Once those 30 days are up , your files and softwares would still be there but the software would then be giving you a pop up window requesting you to purchase the subscription . Without doing that , the product wouldnt work .

Yep unlike a magazine subscription which leaves you with the magazine when the subscription expires. Your software will be ripped from your hands with no recourse. I would be fine if there was an option to keep using the software at it's curret state with no cloud or update benefits. I would even be ok if this option had certian subscriptiuon lenght requirements. If not I maybe using my CS6 for a long time saving in tiff and looking elswere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 10
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A magazine 'subscription' is not a valid comparison. With Creative Cloud you are buying a temporary license to use something for a month/year but ownership of the product is never transfered - you should compare it with renting a car; which of course is not yours to keep.

Even with a boxed copy and a perpetual license you are purchasing only the license to use the software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 1
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a legal interpretation which overlooks the practical impications. The perpetual licence gives you effective access to your own work, (native files) in perpertuity. Effectively this would be as long as you can maintain a system that can run the software that created your own work.

Creative Cloud now throws the spectre of temporary access to your own work. This is new to me, and I can't make a decision to even try Creative Cloud because that will deem my native files temporary.

The rental analogies floating around these discussions don't apply because whatever you create with/in a rental is still accessible after you finish with the rental. With Creative Cloud, the work created is interdependant with the software rental and can't be accessed after the rental has been discontinued.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 7
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. It´s not only a rental method for software.

It´s like rental your own files and work.

Absolutely unacceptable without a Buy-out solution!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 14
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note everyone who subscribes to the Creative Cloud will have CS6 to fall back on. For them, they will be left high and dry if they quit their subscription.

While some files are easily converted to other formats, or read by other software, some formats are not -- particularly InDesign.

I will use CS6 until it stops working on newer OS versions, and then I'll look for alternatives.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 2
Explorer ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People will have CS6 to fall back on....unless Adobe puts in some 'feature' into all their programs, and shock of shocks, that feature isn't backwards compatible and sorry, doesn't work. Will they? who knows, could they? sure.

Just like the common response to 'i'll lose access to my work, won't i" and adobe responds 'as long as you save your work in a non-propriatary format, you'll have access'....ok, who puts in the ability to save to a non-propriatary format???? The very same folks that want you to continue to pay a monthly sub to access your files.

Honestly, if someone wants long term access to their files then they should never use CC7. Because you'll never know what obstacles have been written into the code until it's too late.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 3
Explorer ,
May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save your work to your machine, don't store it on the cloud unless you need to work on it remotely.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

convert them to jpegs save to hard drive and no

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 16, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm trying to figure out... So there's no "buy" option anymore?? I'd much rather drop a few hundred dollars and have a static version of the software than have a hostage situation if I can't afford to keep the subscription down the road. I already own an older version of Photoshop, and I was hoping to buy an updated version, but this new business model doesn't sit well with me. Thinking I just need to look elsewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Extended is by subscription only.

However, Photoshop Elements can be purchased.

Frequently Asked Questions | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 31, 2018 0
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link no longer works...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2016 0
Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're referring to the FAQ link on the first page, it works for me.

Try: Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 26, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But am I still able to use the software installed on my computer without a subscription? Like, can I just save my work onto my computer like the good ol' days?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2018 0
Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you may not use rented software when you stop paying the rent

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2018 0
Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But yes, you can still save all your work onto your local disk drive, just like always... The newer CC releases are still desktop tools that run on your computer and not in the cloud, just like the old CS versions.

See:

The 10 Most Common Myths About Adobe’s Creative Cloud (CC)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2018 0
Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<But am I still able to use the software installed on my computer without a subscription?>

Yes.  However Creative Cloud software often contain new features that do not exist in legacy CS versions.  With that in mind, you may find that some new projects are not backwards compatible with older software. 

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2018 0
Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy's right, and some apps are more backwards compatible than others. For more details, check out this guide with a tool-by-tool breakdown and suggestions:

Are Adobe Creative Cloud (CC) Files & Projects Backwards Compatible?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2018 1
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You convert them to standardized formats before you cancel, if you don't have other software that can understand them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 1
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Victoria, but if I have a large body of work, conversion would be a huge undertaking. Also converting to these standardised formats you speak of, I assume I would lose content if the features aren't suppoorted, eg 3D objects in Illustrator or Photoshop files, Illustrator raster brushes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are these formats you mean in case of InDesign or AfterEffects?
How will I be able to work with my work after end of subscribtion?
THERE ARE NO SUCH FORMATS - THAT´S IT!!!
Hiring into cloud is hiring your own work!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And remember that everyone who wants to cooperate, has to have a subscription too (or a free trial version).

There is a lot of misconception about the 'cloud', your files don't have to be saved in the cloud, the only internet-connection happens once in 30 days to check your subscription.

But the fact that your created files cannot be accessed without the CC software is pretty scary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, that i can keep my files. But only having a look on the nice finder icons is not making me happy.

There are no formats for InDesign, AE etc. which I can use after I end subscription. And so these files are lost for me.

Great plan Adobe! That´s the way of catching clients.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 0
Participant ,
May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I haven't seen a serious response from Adobe staff or advocates of Creative Cloud for people who are concerned about retaining access to their work (ability to open native files) after a subscription expires.

I can't even work out if they think this is a non-issue, they can't understand why this is an issue for many, they haven't thought about it, or they expect us to subscribe for life.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 08, 2013 3
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pauls Sloss the following information is available within the Creative Cloud FAQ - http://www.adobe.com/in/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Many of the Creative Cloud desktop applications provide the ability to export files to the Creative Suite 6 version of that same application. This allows you to export your work to Creative Suite 6, which is available via a perpetual software license.

Adobe plans to continue to support the ability to export to Creative Suite 6 in applications where it is available when it ships.

New features added to the desktop applications after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application.

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 versions of the application:

• Photoshop
  • InDesign®
  • Illustrator
  • Flash® Professional
  • Dreamweaver®

Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.

New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application.

You will continue to have access to free Creative Cloud member benefits, and if you saved your work to your computer you will continue to have access to those files. You will no longer have access to the Creative Cloud desktop applications or most of the services that are components of a Creative Cloud membership.

If you purchased an annual individual membership plan and you cancel after the first 30 days but before meeting the 12-month commitment date, you will be charged 50% of the remaining amount left on your contract.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, those that decide to quit their subscription must buy CS6, (for how long will that product be supported on more advanced hardware/software?), to be able to access files, although newer functionality won't be included.

And when you say "if you saved your work to your computer, you will continue to have access to those files" -- do you just mean that we can continue to store them on our disks, but without the means to view, edit or print them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely unacceptable!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's completely unacceptable!
Not only you "rent" me the software instead of selling it, you rent me my work too O__o

You make my work useless after CS6 will inevitably die.

And to gain what?
To pay for upgrades when YOU decide?

Nice business plan. You are already searching for a new employe right? Because Cassandra says: 2-3 years and Adobe will be dead by his own decisions. Good bye!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 3
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benwiggy the files will still be available on your computer.  The Creative Cloud Connection FAQ states the following:

When files are moved in the local Creative Cloud Files folder do they still exist locally? Are they available when disconnected?

Yes. When you move files in the local Creative Cloud Files folder and Creative Cloud Connection app is running, they automatically sync with to the Creative Cloud. When you look at these files in the Finder or Explorer, you can see their status. Files currently syncing have blue arrows, and the files sync'd to the cloud have a green check mark.

If you don't have an Internet connection, syncing automatically pauses and resumes when the connection is restored. While you are disconnected, you have complete access to these files for editing. The menu and tray icons change status to let you know when you are disconnected/connected and if sync is active.

You can find more details at Creative Cloud Connection FAQ - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-connection-faq.html#id_70488.

Please see the Creative Cloud FAQ document, referenced in message #1 and #20 regarding your questions for opening and working with the files.  I believe the relevant elements can be found in the first two questions answered in message #20.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesnt fit completely: It only answers, that the files are stored local.

It doesnt say the ugl truth: No after end of subscripton you have no longer any software to edit your files - which was the second part of the question.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rainschub the German version of the Creative Cloud FAQ can be found at http://www.adobe.com/de/products/creativecloud/faq.html.  The elements which I would recommend reviewing are as follows:

• Unterstützen die neuen CC-Applikationen den Export von Dateien zur Weiterbearbeitung mit CS6-Programmen?
  • Welche CC-Applikationen unterstützen den Export nach CS6?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already read this.

And is like I say: At this point (today) the files are (nearly) the same and can be opened. But from that moment on, CC is moving on, new features will build in. It´s no longer compatibel. There is NO WRITTEN GUARANTY from Adobe, that this behaviour will be the same in future. There is also the formulation "Many of the applications..." (not all - and that´s only for the moment).

By the way I talked with German support and they told me... Yes, when the Software evolution of CC goes on, I will not be able to open files with the (then) older CS6.

InDesign was never compatible with the version only one step below.

And in the List of Apps which can be opened with CS6 for the moment (let´s see what happens in june, when new features are build in to fix on new customers) After Effects and Premiere are missing - They are the first which can not be opened after you quit your subscription.

My panic of Adobes Act is not without substance.

And the DAX says -7% till monday.

PS.: There is also a warning at the end of the description you referenced, that future versions "may be" (Adobe Slang... Translation is: "are not") not compatible to CS6.

So. Where is the Guaranty, that I can open nad print my own files after the subscription end.

If you give me your word, thet I can open and print all CC 7, 8, 9... files with my Adobe Master Collection CS6 i will subscripe.

You definately know: IT ISN´T!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, I'm not questioning the physical location of the data: I'm questioning the utility of the data.

When you end the subscription, what can you do with the files (once CS6 has become redundant)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benwiggy and Rainschub I don't have any additional information to provide beyond the information already offered within this discussion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see, Jeff A Wright told me to have a look on the specification.

For the moment some (not all) Applications of CC can export files, which CS6 can open and work with.

PS, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash Prof., Dreamweaver are in the list here on the german product side.

All the others not (eG AE, Premiere).

In the future, when new features are added, the Apps (Adobe descripes it) "may not be compatible any longer".

With other words: There is absolutely no written guaranty from Adobe, that you can use your future CC files with CS6.

Only for the moment these 5 Apps will be able to export compatible files. No guaranty for the future.

If you then quit CC you have the risk that you can´t use your own files any longer (can´t open, can´t print, etc.) without reactivating CC. It´s like selling your soul to the dvil.

Drugs are forbidden. Adobe not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 1
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, he didn´t negate it - I´m absolute shure it´s true what I say.

If you are in the US:
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Can the new CC application export to CS6?

Which CC applications support export to CS6?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 0
Participant ,
May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff A Wright wrote:

Pauls Sloss the following information is available within the Creative Cloud FAQ - http://www.adobe.com/in/products/creativecloud/faq.html

Yes I already read it and Dave Merchant has already stated the options for file compatibilty. But this file compatibility solution glosses over what are significant downsides.

The following applications support the ability to export to the CS6 versions of the application:

• Photoshop
  • InDesign®
  • Illustrator
  • Flash® Professional
  • Dreamweaver®

Applications not listed here may not support exporting to Creative Suite 6, and may not do so in future releases.

New features added to the above list after Creative Suite 6 may not be supported in the exported file, or supported by the Creative Suite 6 application.

I have highlighted this, because it looks like a small thing, but it is a big thing if you have a prolific abmount of work, or very complicated files. This means you will lose content when you downsave to CS6. I can't stress how much of a backward step this is. This is not a substitute to the original files.

I already have plenty of experience working with interchange files and downsaved files, and in many cases weren't worth the effort to bring them up to scratch compared to starting over.
When Adobe bought Macromedia and killed Freehand I was able to keep a copy of the last version of Freehand I had and can still open 10 years worth of my work in it's original state. I have needed this ability over the last years since it was discontinued and I still continue to open Freehand to access these files, for reprints with edits, for creating digital folio items, for exporting content to be create new templates in Illustrator and Indesign, for looking at previous techniques I have used to solve a problem.
I generate thousands of CS native files annually. Do I now have to keep downsaved copies of all my work in the event that I cannot continue my subscription? And then open them in Creative Suite 6, compare them to a flattened pdf or pixel image (assuming I have also remembered to make one) to see what has been lost and then recreate the missing bits. Seems like a complicated solution.
I can think of a simpler solution. Restore the perpetual licence ... or provide an ability to buy out of my subscription with my subscription deducted from the buyout cost for the version I have last downloaded.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 09, 2013 2
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So. Where is the Guaranty, that I can open nad print my own files after the subscription end."

This is the main point. Adobe just screwed the whole industry. All trust in this company is shattered by now.

As soon as the CC becomes industry standard, Adobe can (and probably will) skrew us again as they see fit for their own profit. Drastic price raises, stronger limitiation to your own files.. who knows.

Subcribing to CC means putting yourself and your work in the hands of a company that showed us already they do anything for their own good without considering their customer base.

And: Who knows if Adobe decides to discontinue CC and years or decades of work become inaccessable?
Or (and that is also quite possible) Adobe goes bankrupt. Bam. Years of work locked up.

The solution stays: The industry must not adopt this prison-like solution, the majority has to use CS6 and not pay another cent to Adobe until they sell us software again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 2
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are profit orientated, which is wonderful, but they are not client orientated anymore, which is not.

This saddens me because I have been an Adobe user since the beginning, but not allowing us to purchase our latest version in perpetuity is unacceptable in my opinion.

I used the products professionally for years, but now I use them less frequently, and some products I may use a couple of times a year.

So owning CS6 is fine for me as an occasional user, but paying for CC with such limited use is crazy and I wish there were an alternative solution for people like me.  I have already transitioned to other great products, but I would have loved to stay in the Adobe family because I do love the apps...  Adobe has made their products inaccessible to me, and others in my same position because of our usage requirements.

Why not let someone purchase a perpetual license for the version they last subscribed to??  This way if we didn't use the product for a year, we could at least use it if we ran across a one-off project without worrying if CS6 was still functional.

I am teaching more than producing right now, and if I got back into production I would gladly pay the subscription, but why can't Adobe consider a solution for us occasional users?

Adobe use to be client oriented, now I feel they're elitists  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2017 1
New Here ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by standardized format? are you referring to IDML?

I really think that this is a terrible move by Adobe, most people I speak to are saying that they will stick with CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 0
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What i would really like to see is the data at which Adobe is basing it's arrogant claim that "the majority of our customers are really happy with this subscription model". It seems to be either a blatant lie or a questionnaire seriously rigged towards making creative cloud look better than it is. Adobe stock owners should hold those that lied about this accountable and they probably will when the stock price goes south.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 5
Participant ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shinytom2 wrote:

What do you mean by standardized format? are you referring to IDML?

The faq's a reasonably vague about stadardised formats. Terry White (Adobe evangelist)  has added a myths page: http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

Here is an exerpt:

# 4 “If I decide to leave Creative Cloud I won’t be able to access the files I’ve created.

... If you decide to no longer be a Creative Cloud member then you won’t have access to your Creative Cloud applications anymore, but if you’ve got previous CS App versions, you’ll be able to open your files provided that you’ve saved them down to compatible formats with your older applications or other 3rd party Applications. If you ever decided to re-join Creative Cloud you’ll have access to the latest Creative Apps again and you’ll be able to continue working on YOUR files."

Nowhere does he mention that these downsaved formats won't be the same as the original files. There will be content missing or proxies substituted to deal with features that aren't suppoerted in earlier versions.

Ther are major downsides to a Creative Cloud only offering, but Adobe won't speak plainly or acknowledge the downsides, and would rather label them as myths.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 3
Participant ,
May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we will either see CC a great success, or we will see a standard CS7 offered in a month or so. This just may end up being the biggest corporate stumble of 2013, and some top exec will lose their job over this. Is it ever a smart idea to piss off so many long time paying customers?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I think Adobe has already calculated in that they will lose customers. Economic wise this is a smart decision, as they are now assured of a certain stable membership platform. Since CS5 came out, lesser people have updated, because of costs, no need and such. That, and the declining satisfaction and distrust, especially outside the US, where they ask up to 60% more for the same software, have transformed a well-liked company into a arrogant big brother.

Membership and/or subscription is coming for more and more things, as the current crisis and the fully saturated market are a big thorn in the sides of a lot of companies.

What will happen in my humble opinion; after one year, Adobe will declare CC a big success, most other people will continue to work with CS6, the piracy will grow substantially, and several other companies, like Corel, Quark en perhaps some others, will get some new clients.

Nothing we will do or say, will change the mind of Adobe, as long as the EU (for instance) will not warn them for monopolizing the market and forcing clients to use their subscription system.

I do think that Adobe can get more subscribers if they: allow clients to choose their own apps (just like the Standard, Web packages and so on) for a reasonable price, not 80 Dollars like it is in NL; and most important, after a minimum of two years give customers the option to stop the subscription, BUT let them keep the APPS, so they can continue to work with them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2013 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can see that there will be a few legal challenges to this as well, so Adobe must have taken that into account also. I should imagine that they have various scenarios mapped out if they have been sensible, I mean, they will have been sensible won't they?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2013 0
Mentor ,
May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another must read for people found in a recent previous thread;

Adobe Creative Cloud:  Lopsided Legal Agreement. It is not pretty:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agree ment.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2013 1
Contributor ,
May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone should see this as a problem.

I have files I go back to from time to time and open them in old applications.

Sometimes applications I haven't used in years.

Adobe is now saying to everyone, who participates in this outrageous abomination of continuous rental fees, that your old files will be useless to you the moment you stop subscribing.

Adobe....Are you guys f#$cking kidding me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2013 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with the entire discussion.

Adobe is in fact creating a situation where they can keep our work hostage.

Eventually the difference in file formats between CS6 and CC will be so big there's no point in trying to get them "across" anymore.

At that point their will be a couple possible scenario's when 2 parties need to work together where only one party has a CC subscription:

- Either the other one gets a subscription as well

- They migrate to different software

I have to admit that I jumped on the CC bandwagon initially just because it is very nice to have all the adobe products handy, but reading this discussion I think I will cancel the subscription as soon as my discount is up.

A small note though: Since you are free to cancel the subscription at any time, you could just sign up for a month again when you encounter files you can't access anymore.

It's a broken way to get things done, but in the end you get to your data which is the point. And you make Adobe happy again because you spent more money.

I think these SaaS in the long run are doomed if they don't create something with a perpetual license to fall back on for people not wanting this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 06, 2014 0
Participant ,
May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's replies, but my chief worry hasn't been addressed, and maybe I have been too brief.

I am very worried that the digital work I produce with a Creative Cloud subscription is tied to the subscription. In fact I seem to be paying not only for access to software, but also access to my own work. My worry is not about the near term, but over a longer term that for whatever reason I cannot continue to subscribe to CC services, I will also lose access to my work. The solution being that I convert/flatten the files prior to leaving, losing the original art.

When I shifted from Quark Xpress to Indesign, I was able to keep a copy of Quark going so I could open, edit and publish old documents. When Freehand was discontinued, I was still able to keep a copy and open, edit & publish old documents without any conversion issues.

This is the first time I've had to face this prospect in my life as a digital artist/designer. My choice is either to subscribe to CC and risk losing all my original work at some later date, or stay with CS6 and risk being able to collaborate with other designers.

Do other people think this isn't a real issue, or do they expect to subscribe for life, or do they have some other long term strategy for their files?

I would really like some help here, or for Adobe to at least acknowledge this issue clearly and tell me "tough luck". I have no issue with the features or the price.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2013 22
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is this. YOU still have the files, you just can't do anything with them. LOL

YES, they are holding YOUR ARTWORK HOSTAGE.

This is why Adobe reps won't tell you. They just give you legel talk.

What a slap in the face of long time users.

Adobe is worse than the cable company now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 8
Explorer ,
May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point in time, upgrading to CC7 is a one way street to perpetual monthly payments to access any and all files. There is no safety net, no way back. ANd, as has been suggested above, even keeping CS6 as a backup is temporary and a non-reliable backup at best due to the incompatibility of new features with the older version.

It all boils down to users either accepting that they need to pay a montly fee to access their files, or they refuse the update and let the numbers speak for themselves. (and that's all the execs will care about, if the sales don't hit their projections and the company can't hit its profit margin)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2013 2
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your clear comments. I refuse to rent in perpetuity. I have a house (now paid for) instead of an apartment for the same reason.  I use CS 5; I might get CS 6. I don't know if there are enough people like me that can defy Adobe's model and have them serve our group of consumers. Is there an "owners" forum I can join?

Maybe there will be some company that can reverse engineer InDesign, or create a new publishing suite. I wonder what's available from China.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. That is one of the ways Adobe ensures you will continue to subscribe/rent their softwar. A very undiginified move in my opinion. I am not that happy with the prices and I do not like subscription/rental payments for software.

I currently pay for my mobile phone. The handset and the service. In May I finish paying for my handset and it's mine to keep. Optus or Apple do not come and take it back again.

It might make Adobe a ton of money over the short term but as other companies begin to create software that is equal to Adobe I think many people will jump ship. Americans are more used to subscriptions than other countries and many are unhappy for a number of reasons including yours. You are basically paying to be held hostage to their software, like a kid given drugs for free until he's hooked and then becomes a lifelong customer. Dirty tactics that reflect the lack core values within the company. Such a shame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2017 2
Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

taniah23942217  wrote

I currently pay for my mobile phone. The handset and the service. In May I finish paying for my handset and it's mine to keep. Optus or Apple do not come and take it back again.

A very bad comparison. 

Does Apple give you a free new phone when the next model comes out?

No.

Does Adobe give you free updates & upgrades on all your CC products for as long as you remain a member?  Yes.  That's what your subscription buys.  It's called peace of mind  so when your OS receives updates, you're not left out in the cold with incompatible software like you were under the old perpetual license system.

You may not like the subscription model but given how often Windows & Apple roll out OS updates, the old system was impractical.  It had to go.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, ACP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 02, 2017 2
Participant ,
May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea​​, you're right. It's a bad comparison ... and so is yours. Adobe doesn't give us free updates & free upgrades. That's what we are paying for with the subscription and it's a pretty high price for a hobbyist like me. I've loved the CC subscription model because it gave me (most of) the whole arsenal of Adobe tools. Now that I'm retired I have a choice to make, keep paying the subscription or give up the ability to make new art or change any of my many years of work.

Which would you choose?

I think there might be a reasonable middle ground. Adobe might let their loyal customers keep using the last version of the tools when their subscription ended. As you say, they will become obsolete soon enough. Is that too much to ask?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2017 3
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't rent my car or software. I don't need convincing on why I should pay an eternal monthly fee. I am not counting on Adobe to address this segment of the market. For the work I do, I am happy with the older CS 5 that I OWN and the money for the Design Premium upgrade is in the bank. I stand with Rob Shaver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2017 1
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when your model of car is no longer made and yours has an issue that can only be fixed by replacing a part that only comes with that model, how will you manage this when these pieces are no longer made?

It's the same with Adobe, say someone has a version that isn't compatible with OSs past Windows XP, XP is no longer updated by Microsoft so then you run into a glitch with the version you have, now what do you do?

What does CS5 get you? A perpetual licence... and that's it. CC gets you a subscription with constant updates to keep in track with Apple & Microsoft updates. Free cloud storage (with the option to upgrade), free fonts, a free portfolio website, & free stock.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2017 0
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rob+Shaver  wrote

@https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea , you're right. It's a bad comparison ... and so is yours. Adobe doesn't give us free updates & free upgrades. That's what we are paying for with the subscription and it's a pretty high price for a hobbyist like me. I've loved the CC subscription model because it gave me (most of) the whole arsenal of Adobe tools. Now that I'm retired I have a choice to make, keep paying the subscription or give up the ability to make new art or change any of my many years of work.

Which would you choose?

I think there might be a reasonable middle ground. Adobe might let their loyal customers keep using the last version of the tools when their subscription ended. As you say, they will become obsolete soon enough. Is that too much to ask?

While yes the subscription comes with the updates, the free part is the website, fonts, stock, and storage.

If you are a hobbyist then go use TVPaint or SAI, Adobe is for professionals who either work in or want to work in the field of industry the software caters to. Or better yet, download CS2 which is available for free. If you had a licence before CC came out then go back to that, I believe it is still possible to use them if you have the serial key and DVD etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 19, 2017 0