What happens to my work when I cancel my subscription?

Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I have subscribed to Creative Cloud for some years, and some circumstance leads me to cancel my subscription, what happens to my work after cancellation. How do I open these native files (.indd, .ai, .psd) ?

If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?

TOPICS
Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013
If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.Please refer the below FAQ and it will...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 01, 2015 Jan 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnallanstudio wrote:

My solution (I'm a professional fashion photographer formally using primarily Lightroom and Photoshop), was to stop using Adobe products for which there is a viable option. So, I dropped Lightroom in favor of Capture One Pro (which is a best-of-breed alternative).

Hi John, you may not have heard but Adobe recently made a change with Lightroom:

What happens to Lightroom after my membership ends?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly satisfactory.  If you compare the current solution to the one we had three years ago, perpetual license model allowed us to continue to access the work done, including effects, layers, print profiles, scripts, etc etc etc, ALL WORK CREATED BY THE CUSTOMER USING THE TOOLS PAID FOR, for the life of the product.  Now, we no longer have that access, and are relegated to flattened generic "versions" with destructive editing-only.  That's not the work I created, but a mere photocopy of it.  This is a horrible situation.  I filed a complaint with the FTC today. - FTC Complaint Assistant

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can save a PS file as TIFF for example which can be opened by a zillion programs. As for losing layers, you can save with layers or save the layers individually, no big deal. As far as exported renderings etc. go, you can still use them forever, how is this hard to understand? Now people run around saying they want to sue Adobe because they couldn't read before buying the product - I guess it worked for that moron who purchased a hot coffee at McDonalds too, huh? 

How some can argue you should be able to use it "for eternity at the latest working state before cancelling the subscription" how would that practically work?! Is it fair to subscribe for two months and then cancel and expect the software which used to be $2500 to now be functioning forever? Come one, be a bit realistic and learn to read the terms and conditions, we're adults here, so I assume it is not too much to ask.

No one forces anyone to go with the subscription model, for my part/business, I find it highly useful, as if you are at all using new features and formats every now and then, one would upgrade to "at least" every second version anyway, and thereby the only difference being that you have two large investments bi-annually instead of a rather small one on a monthly basis. I have a mobile phone contract which effectively makes my iPhone6 usable, and it's not that much less than the Adobe subscription which I find gives me more to be honest. I for one do not want to be stuck with a Photoshop CS5 version. In fact, I probably still have some in the garage - along with Apple Final Cut Studio 6. Any takers?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really didn't care for Adobe CC as I use Lightroom even though it's inferior for certain types of raw files for Fuji and other cameras. I don't use Photoshop a lot either but I own a retail version of CS6 and used it before my annual sub to Creative Cloud.

Now that my subscription has come due to renew for another year I canceled. I reinstalled Photoshop CS6 and registration went thru.I already had it installed but after I canceled by CC sub it would crash when opening.

I need to be able to use my version of CS6 and tech support was as useless as sweeping a sidewalk in a Boston blizzard.

Any others have this issue?

L

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No good for use folks on dialup. No good for folks who practice the golden rule of Never Connect your Bread & Butter workstation to the virusnet. No good if you're a believer in owning over renting.

I'll be staying with CS6, my final and last version of Adobe software.

Meanwhile, to handle newer 4K CODECs, I'm using DaVinci Resolve and have had some success rewrapping XAVC with FFMPEG, allowing me to edit in CS6.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this issue. I'm beginning to see why no one is ever again going to be "debt-free". Microsoft, Adobe, Phone, etc. The subscription model has taken off, and that is fine if you are generating income from it. But if you combine all the subscriptions I was having to pay for working, they came to a staggering $355 per month, with no end in site. The subscription model worked fine when my business was focused on using those tools heavily. But when the business model changed and I did not need to use all these tools on a daily, weekly, or even monthly basis, I had to make some hard decisions.

Subscription models are fine, but there should always be a reasonable alternative. I see no reasonable alternatives here. Say I use Illustrator for 2-3 projects a year and InDesign for another few... it just doesn't work, no matter how you slice it. Doing a "per application" model would be far more for 3 apps versus all of them, of which I only use 3 anyway.

It was a hard decision, but I had to shut down all my subscriptions, the costs were no longer financially viable. I have since found 3 tools to replace the Adobe products I was using, without the price tag of $600 - $900 per year. It is too bad the options are now so limited. I prefer the model of not restricting half my income every month. In the event of a major life change (income) you have nothing to fall back on with the new subscription model everyone is now using. I much prefer the old way, or at least the option, you want something, save, or wait till you can afford it, buy it and own it. Things happen, and to watch your ability to produce or even access your work during those times is sad for the industry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I brought this up with a rep today and she genuinely didn't get it. This disconnect between management and clients is the real problem- if they're refusing to listen to client feedback then they can't actually improve, making their "updates" useless. Support Adobe, pay attention to us if you want us to pay

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what i think the person is saying ..is if you use photoshop/ LR CC as part of the creative cloud and you say convert your photos to dng or catalogue them . and then cancel the service , you loose the catalog ? correct ...

now my question is since i currently have standalone LR 5 , if i choose to go with the creative cloud , and cancel is that catalogue transferrable back to my LR 5 ? IF So how difficult is it to do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In each successive major version of Lightroom (e.g., 4, 5, 6, 7/Classic), the catalog format changes/evolves and improves, so it is not possible to take a catalog from a newer release of Lightroom and use it on an older release.

However, even if you stop your subscription, you can continue to use the most recent Lightroom Classic CC desktop version – except for the Develop and Map modules:

What happens to Lightroom after my membership ends?

Rather than the whole catalog, if you have specific photos/adjustments that you want to move back from a newer Lightroom release to an older one, then this article may help:

How to Roll Back / Revert to an Old Version of Lightroom

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2019 Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you cancel your membership nothing will happen to your work. You will still have your work and still be able to access it. Depending on the plan you had will determined if you can edit PDF's and other factors. 

Arianne Johnson

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines