What happens to my work when I cancel my subscription?

Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming I have subscribed to Creative Cloud for some years, and some circumstance leads me to cancel my subscription, what happens to my work after cancellation. How do I open these native files (.indd, .ai, .psd) ?

If I am a subscriber to Creative Cloud, can I share native files with someone who has CS 6 or will the files be incompatible?

TOPICS
Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013
If you cancel your paid membership you will still have access to the free level of membership, which provides 2GB of storage. You will have a 90-day grace period to download your files to your local machine, and delete online files to get your cloud storage down to 2GB (or to purchase additional storage separately if you choose). If you leave more than 2GB of files in your cloud storage for more than 90 days, you may lose access to some or all of your files.Please refer the below FAQ and it will...

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I can see that there will be a few legal challenges to this as well, so Adobe must have taken that into account also. I should imagine that they have various scenarios mapped out if they have been sensible, I mean, they will have been sensible won't they?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another must read for people found in a recent previous thread;

Adobe Creative Cloud:  Lopsided Legal Agreement. It is not pretty:

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agree ment.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone should see this as a problem.

I have files I go back to from time to time and open them in old applications.

Sometimes applications I haven't used in years.

Adobe is now saying to everyone, who participates in this outrageous abomination of continuous rental fees, that your old files will be useless to you the moment you stop subscribing.

Adobe....Are you guys f#$cking kidding me?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with the entire discussion.

Adobe is in fact creating a situation where they can keep our work hostage.

Eventually the difference in file formats between CS6 and CC will be so big there's no point in trying to get them "across" anymore.

At that point their will be a couple possible scenario's when 2 parties need to work together where only one party has a CC subscription:

- Either the other one gets a subscription as well

- They migrate to different software

I have to admit that I jumped on the CC bandwagon initially just because it is very nice to have all the adobe products handy, but reading this discussion I think I will cancel the subscription as soon as my discount is up.

A small note though: Since you are free to cancel the subscription at any time, you could just sign up for a month again when you encounter files you can't access anymore.

It's a broken way to get things done, but in the end you get to your data which is the point. And you make Adobe happy again because you spent more money.

I think these SaaS in the long run are doomed if they don't create something with a perpetual license to fall back on for people not wanting this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for everyone's replies, but my chief worry hasn't been addressed, and maybe I have been too brief.

I am very worried that the digital work I produce with a Creative Cloud subscription is tied to the subscription. In fact I seem to be paying not only for access to software, but also access to my own work. My worry is not about the near term, but over a longer term that for whatever reason I cannot continue to subscribe to CC services, I will also lose access to my work. The solution being that I convert/flatten the files prior to leaving, losing the original art.

When I shifted from Quark Xpress to Indesign, I was able to keep a copy of Quark going so I could open, edit and publish old documents. When Freehand was discontinued, I was still able to keep a copy and open, edit & publish old documents without any conversion issues.

This is the first time I've had to face this prospect in my life as a digital artist/designer. My choice is either to subscribe to CC and risk losing all my original work at some later date, or stay with CS6 and risk being able to collaborate with other designers.

Do other people think this isn't a real issue, or do they expect to subscribe for life, or do they have some other long term strategy for their files?

I would really like some help here, or for Adobe to at least acknowledge this issue clearly and tell me "tough luck". I have no issue with the features or the price.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is this. YOU still have the files, you just can't do anything with them. LOL

YES, they are holding YOUR ARTWORK HOSTAGE.

This is why Adobe reps won't tell you. They just give you legel talk.

What a slap in the face of long time users.

Adobe is worse than the cable company now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2013 May 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point in time, upgrading to CC7 is a one way street to perpetual monthly payments to access any and all files. There is no safety net, no way back. ANd, as has been suggested above, even keeping CS6 as a backup is temporary and a non-reliable backup at best due to the incompatibility of new features with the older version.

It all boils down to users either accepting that they need to pay a montly fee to access their files, or they refuse the update and let the numbers speak for themselves. (and that's all the execs will care about, if the sales don't hit their projections and the company can't hit its profit margin)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your clear comments. I refuse to rent in perpetuity. I have a house (now paid for) instead of an apartment for the same reason.  I use CS 5; I might get CS 6. I don't know if there are enough people like me that can defy Adobe's model and have them serve our group of consumers. Is there an "owners" forum I can join?

Maybe there will be some company that can reverse engineer InDesign, or create a new publishing suite. I wonder what's available from China.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. That is one of the ways Adobe ensures you will continue to subscribe/rent their softwar. A very undiginified move in my opinion. I am not that happy with the prices and I do not like subscription/rental payments for software.

I currently pay for my mobile phone. The handset and the service. In May I finish paying for my handset and it's mine to keep. Optus or Apple do not come and take it back again.

It might make Adobe a ton of money over the short term but as other companies begin to create software that is equal to Adobe I think many people will jump ship. Americans are more used to subscriptions than other countries and many are unhappy for a number of reasons including yours. You are basically paying to be held hostage to their software, like a kid given drugs for free until he's hooked and then becomes a lifelong customer. Dirty tactics that reflect the lack core values within the company. Such a shame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

taniah23942217  wrote

I currently pay for my mobile phone. The handset and the service. In May I finish paying for my handset and it's mine to keep. Optus or Apple do not come and take it back again.

A very bad comparison. 

Does Apple give you a free new phone when the next model comes out?

No.

Does Adobe give you free updates & upgrades on all your CC products for as long as you remain a member?  Yes.  That's what your subscription buys.  It's called peace of mind  so when your OS receives updates, you're not left out in the cold with incompatible software like you were under the old perpetual license system.

You may not like the subscription model but given how often Windows & Apple roll out OS updates, the old system was impractical.  It had to go.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea​​, you're right. It's a bad comparison ... and so is yours. Adobe doesn't give us free updates & free upgrades. That's what we are paying for with the subscription and it's a pretty high price for a hobbyist like me. I've loved the CC subscription model because it gave me (most of) the whole arsenal of Adobe tools. Now that I'm retired I have a choice to make, keep paying the subscription or give up the ability to make new art or change any of my many years of work.

Which would you choose?

I think there might be a reasonable middle ground. Adobe might let their loyal customers keep using the last version of the tools when their subscription ended. As you say, they will become obsolete soon enough. Is that too much to ask?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Rob+Shaver  wrote

@https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea , you're right. It's a bad comparison ... and so is yours. Adobe doesn't give us free updates & free upgrades. That's what we are paying for with the subscription and it's a pretty high price for a hobbyist like me. I've loved the CC subscription model because it gave me (most of) the whole arsenal of Adobe tools. Now that I'm retired I have a choice to make, keep paying the subscription or give up the ability to make new art or change any of my many years of work.

Which would you choose?

I think there might be a reasonable middle ground. Adobe might let their loyal customers keep using the last version of the tools when their subscription ended. As you say, they will become obsolete soon enough. Is that too much to ask?

While yes the subscription comes with the updates, the free part is the website, fonts, stock, and storage.

If you are a hobbyist then go use TVPaint or SAI, Adobe is for professionals who either work in or want to work in the field of industry the software caters to. Or better yet, download CS2 which is available for free. If you had a licence before CC came out then go back to that, I believe it is still possible to use them if you have the serial key and DVD etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nexahs1138 , Thanks for your comment. All voices are welcome and your suggestions are interesting. (Is Adobe stock free/included? I haven't looked closely because I assumed I'd have to pay for each stock item.)

In any case, I see you are near the beginning of your career. Bravo, I envy your coming adventure. Me, I'm much nearer the end. My career as a hardware/software engineer is done and now I'm enjoying my "golden years" with hobbies such as building little electronics projects, writing and making videos.

Having had to leave all my edited projects behind when Apple abandoned it's customers with an aging Final Cut Pro 7. I switched back to Windows and put all my eggs into a new basket, owned by Adobe. I am very happy with having the full Adobe suite of creative tools at my fingertips, so no objection to that. But I can see a time in my future that is not as distant as it used to be, when I will become much less active in all my hobbies. I would like that ramp down to be gradual, not a cliff.

I think it would be even harder for an animator. I'm not sure what tools you use, but I"m guessing that the really pro apps for animation are not in the Adobe arsenal. It is true that I have many options for editing software that are quite good and totally free right now. But I also have a body of work that would be very difficult to move to another platform for the same reason that I was not able to move my work over from Final Cut Pro 7.

So let me turn your suggestion around. Do you think a time will come when you would still like to do your work but be willing to abandon all your previous work to move to a new set of tools? Wouldn't it be nice if you could take past projects and reuse them at least for your own gratification?

Best of luck in your adventure.

Peace,

Rob:-]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get 10 free assets and then you purchase more if you want, there's a huge variety to them though.

For animation and VFX I use Photoshop, After Effects (AME), Premiere, and Flash. But having CC I've started using Illustrator, Project Felix, and Audition as well, I likely won't be using any other apps though. I also use Autodesk Maya, the Foundrys Nuke and Mari, as well as Toon Boom Harmony and storyboard pro.

You do have the option to only pay when you want to, you could subscribe for 2 months and then leave it for a while.

Animators and VFX artists don't really have a choice, if a software comes along that is better than what is currently being used then we have to move onto that. We had to move from pencil and paper to tablet and pen.

I would use past projects, atm I have the student licence, which even at that is still a lot for me to pay the annual plan but I'll always scrape enough to keep it going. I pay €16 a month for toon boom, and I haven't opened either of them in over a year, I'm in too deep to cancel.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't rent my car or software. I don't need convincing on why I should pay an eternal monthly fee. I am not counting on Adobe to address this segment of the market. For the work I do, I am happy with the older CS 5 that I OWN and the money for the Design Premium upgrade is in the bank. I stand with Rob Shaver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So when your model of car is no longer made and yours has an issue that can only be fixed by replacing a part that only comes with that model, how will you manage this when these pieces are no longer made?

It's the same with Adobe, say someone has a version that isn't compatible with OSs past Windows XP, XP is no longer updated by Microsoft so then you run into a glitch with the version you have, now what do you do?

What does CS5 get you? A perpetual licence... and that's it. CC gets you a subscription with constant updates to keep in track with Apple & Microsoft updates. Free cloud storage (with the option to upgrade), free fonts, a free portfolio website, & free stock.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best car analogy is buying a car with a service plan (maybe it’s built into the price upfront; maybe you pay it in installments – the point is you are paying for service for a fixed duration.

It is wrong to equate the thing with car rental – you are putting your own investment into the product in the form of content you create, which is your property, so it is more like paying for a car that you will eventually own if you pay off the capital cost (not exactly because the car manufacturer does not retain an interest in the product).

When the service plan expires, you have the choice of getting another one, getting a new car or going off-plan and figuring out another option for service.

The Adobe CC approach locks you into exactly one variant.

In my scenario, as an academic, every few years I have a chunk of unspent research budget I could spend on a new version of this kind of software. I am not earning a regular cash flow out of it so I can’t justify paying for it every year and I can live with outdated versions for a few years. Adobe’s new model is cutting people like me out. I am looking into cheaper (perpetuity-licensed) PDF editors, for example – even though I prefer to used Adobe in an area where they designed the underlying data representation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My biggest gripe is that you end up with nothing once you stop paying. No software, no way to open your files, etc. If you decide not to renew, maybe Adobe should let you keep what you have as-is at the completion of your contract, obviously with no services, upgrades etc. It would be nice to at least have something to show for putting in thousands of dollars in subscription fees over the years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That´s the point.

Adobe didn´t offer a buy-out solution and so you can pay lifetime if you want to print out your own work.

That´s not hiring software - that´s hiring your own archive!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2014 Aug 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has abruptly lost my brand loyalty because of this subscription policy. If I was getting my first software I would never buy into a subscription. Other designers I've spoken to feel the same. I'm stuck for now due to work but I'm not going to continue with subscription costs for casual or occasional use. Everything I'll want to keep, I'll have to limit to CS6 or the files will be held hostage to yearly subscription fees. I'll now I have to look around for other options.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I subscribed to CC for the first year at the discounted rate and can't afford the continued subscription any longer. Now the only way to use the files in my copy of CS6 Master Collection is to open every file that I have created or edited in the past year and save it back into CS6 before cancelling my subscription. This is serving to be a very time consuming task as I use Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Premiere, Flash and After Effects.

Without doing this I won't have full function on Illustrator Artboards (which are native in CS6, not sure why it's not supported), Indesign Files (well those are just impossible), Photoshop seems to be the only things that doesn't completely screw up the file structure when a CC file is opened in CS6, who really know what the Premiere projects will do or any of the others for that matter once I actually cancel my subscription. I have tried to open many files that ERROR with "The file is damaged" when I try to open in in CS6 before back saving.

Only subscribe to CC if you plan on ALWAYS maintaining your subscription otherwise you WILL lose functions and full file access. If you do not have any previous licensed copy of the Adobe software you will lose editing access to your files period.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fluid,

It definitely doesn't work always or perfectly, and some apps are more backwards compatible than others, but did you try the techniques outlined in this guide?

Can You Open/Use/Export/Save Adobe CC Files on CS6 – and Vice Versa?

We hope that Adobe will provide a long-term solution that allows continued opening of CC-created files under any circumstances, perhaps via read-only versions of the CC apps (similar to how Microsoft is now doing it with Office).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refuse to get locked into a utility bill from Adobe for the reset of my life to access my creative work.

All one has to do is look at the price of cable now days compared to some years ago - Adobe's fees will continue to escalate without conscious, because they have CC users by the throat.

My solution (I'm a professional fashion photographer formally using primarily Lightroom and Photoshop), was to stop using Adobe products for which there is a viable option. So, I dropped Lightroom in favor of Capture One Pro (which is a best-of-breed alternative).

I'm still using Photoshop CS5 and will continue to use it until a non-Adobe best-of-breed option comes along.

I've lost all faith in Adobe for fairness or any good faith conduct.

Shame on you Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the things not mentioned in this long thread is that for potential new subscribers such as myself who have never had (and no longer have) the opportunity to purchase CS6, we love EVERYTHING if we subscribe, create work, then unsubscribe.  That is unacceptable and has clinched my decision.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 30, 2014 Dec 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS6 can be purchased from Adobe Store still:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/suites-help.html

Refer to FAQ | Adobe Creative Suite

Regards

Rajshree

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines