Why am I being charged a cancellation fee for cancelling my Adobe software

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have cancelled my Creative Cloud Photography plan after using it for a few months - as I wasn't using it enough to justify the price. After cancelling - I received this notice that I will be charged over $100 USD for cancelling - I am completely outraged!  How does Adobe get away with this?

• The US$101.66 cancellation fee will be charged to your card. Your invoice will post shortly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018
Terri_Stevens LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018
I'm afraid you should have read the small print when you entered into the contract. Adobe makes it's subscription software available in a number of waysa) you pay yearly in advance (12 months)b) you pay monthly and agree to remain a subscriber to the software for a year (12 payments)c) you pay monthly and are free to cancel at anytime. Case a) is self explaining. Case c) sounds like case b) except the subscription is far higher. In the case of Photoshop if you subscribe and  wish to cancel at an...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you should have read the small print when you entered into the contract. Adobe makes it's subscription software available in a number of ways

a) you pay yearly in advance (12 months)

b) you pay monthly and agree to remain a subscriber to the software for a year (12 payments)

c) you pay monthly and are free to cancel at anytime.

Case a) is self explaining. Case c) sounds like case b) except the subscription is far higher. In the case of Photoshop if you subscribe and  wish to cancel at anytime the cost is around $20 per month. You chose case b which committed you to 12 monthly payments in exchange for a lower subscription price of $10/month, when you cancelled early you triggered a penalty clause that requires you to pay 50% of your outstanding subscription for the year.

For example:

If you subscribe to the photographic plan at $10/month you are agreeing to pay Adobe 10x12=$120. Now if you cancel after 4 months you still have 8 months of your contract period to run or 8x10=$80 of payments. The contract requires you to pay 50% of the outstanding contract or $40

How much are you paying per month as a $100 penalty sounds to much for the regular Photographic plan?

If you kept it just 1 month you would have had 11 more payments to make or $110 at $10/month , the penalty for leaving the plan early should have been therefore $55

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had canceled before the trial period ended. Once I saw a charge the very next day I was infuriated. Normally a company will work with you especially if missed by one day. These actions of Adobe not putting the customer first, especially if the product was not being used, proves that Adobe is a dishonest company. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I know why im being charged to cancel. It just a method to lock people into a contract. Mostly optics for the share holders and so they can budget etc. But the overall point is this. They dont need to charge us. This not leasing a car, or renting a flat, or buying a holiday. It ticking a box. That updates a database that flags the account has cancelled that month.

Its fair thing to do. Netflix do it. Amazon do it. Plugin Allience does. Even rent to own retailers do it. Adobe doesnt do it as, well they just dont want to. Not yet anyway. Not until like Wacom customers leave in droves when the competion just offers a fair deal. They charge as if they are still the industry standard. Truth is less so every year. Its a shame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• The US$101.66 cancellation fee will be charged to your card.

Are you certain you're cancelling a Photography Plan? As Terri suggests, a $100 cancellation fee is too much for that.

It sounds more like 4 months remaining on a Cloud All Apps Plan. In that case, your cancellation fee would be (4 x $50) / 2 = $100.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did was transfer all the money from my card to a different account so they wouldn't be able to rob me of this stupid charge 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

david, did they charge you any late payment fees or chase you up through 3rd party?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi david! im wondering if they ended up charging you once you put money in your accoutn again ahah

thanks 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I pay for annual subscription with misleading market tactics I should be able to sue adobe. First off it's an annual subscription that means 365 days so it should work exactly the way it says. First for every second I am on the software the count down starts. If I am not on the software then the count does not start. You can not charge me if I do not use the application so corrupt. The 365 count should start when I am using the app only not charging me for nothing. I hate adobe with it's misleading tactics. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user support forum, you are not addressing Adobe on here. If you want to clarify this matter - or sue Adobe - you need to contact Adobe directly, we can't help you with this dispute.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they did the same thing to me. i never use the program and forgot to cancel at the 14day cutoff...now they wanna charge me for a program i dont use. no understanding from their customer service either... another way a multi-billion dollar company steals money from every-day consumers who are struggling to make a living....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Weston,

Here are the subscription and cancellation terms you agreed to when you signed up for your annual plan with Adobe:

https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane - I would be curious if you yourself read the fine print. Hardly anyone reads the fine print, and it shouldn't be an expectation of the consumer. I should not be expected to read and understand 20 pages of legalese every time I sign up for a service.

At least most companies have the decency to allow you to turn off auto renew or cancel without an early cancellation fee. In my view, this is a despicable practice. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like it or not, in the US when you sign a contract, which is what happened when you agreed to the terms and conditions on the payment page, you are bound by the contract's terms and conditions whether you read them or not (see also, "ignorance of the law is no excuse"). It is the consumer's responsibility to be aware of what they are agreeing to, and Adobe's "fine print" is written in clear English on the Subscription and Cancellation Terms page which is linked to from the payment page. That last should be a big clue that things will happen if you cancel the subscription.

adobe terms.png

Adobe has a cancellation fee because they offer a lower monthly payment when you agree to a one-year contract and this is how they recoup the anticipated revenue that is lost when you cancel early. 

Mind you, I think that charging a cancellation fee is a bit of sharp practice on their part, but it is legal and enforceable when you agree to the contract terms. I also think that Adobe should allow users to opt-IN to the auto-renewal instead of making that the default and providing no way to opt-OUT, but they do at least email you to let you know when the subscription is close to running out. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand about contract but why do other companies help. I have went passed my trial offer before and called the next day immediately and without even asking the customer service representative will normally states, "you won't be charged & you will be reimbursed for any charges incurred". 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a choice whether or not you read the terms or take the risk. However you surely cannot say you did not see the plain English  'Annual plan paid monthly' which you clicked on when you chose the plan. That is neither hidden or hard to understand is it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a nutshell, Adobe offers 3 types of payment options:

• Annual paid monthly,
  • Annual paid yearly, 
  • Month-to-Month. 

The latter costs more per month but allows you to cancel anytime you wish. The former is a 12 month commitment at a lower price but if you cancel early you incur a 50% penalty fee.  You have choices so be informed & choose wisely. 

BTW, it takes less than 2 minutes to read the Terms.  If that's too onerous, I urge you to ask a parent, teacher or guardian to help you.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web Design & Publishing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a "defense of Adobe" (quite a few of us think the auto-renewal is pretty damned annoying). It is a statement of facts:

• You agreed to the terms by purchasing the subscription.
  • It's a legally enforceable contract.
  • It is your responsibility to be aware of what you are agreeing to.
  • The law does not recognize "no one ever reads the fine print" as a legally valid defense. Thank the Consumer Protection Agency that the terms are at least written in plain English instead of confusing (to non-contract lawyers) legal terms.

You aren't the first person to make this complaint. You're not even the first person to make the complaint today.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate to pile on ad nauseam, but it's rather strange to me. I won't be trying to sue Adobe, that's pretty absurd. I'm aware it's fully legal and technically my responsibility. However, the law doesn't necessarily dictate ethics, and it's the ethics of Adobe that concern me.

It's not just the fact that they have us auto renew, it's the lack of opting OUT of auto renew that makes it a step above other companies in terms of shiesty tactics. It's now another item on my already crowded calendar I have to add to. This is on top of a cancellation fee for a monthy payment for a yearly subscription? Why not just make it a monthy subscription?

Like I said, I won't be trying to lawyer up on the terms and conditions. Adobe did a great job with that, I'm certain. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why my comment was deleted, it was perfectly respectful despite a rather condescending remark from Nancy. Shoutout to my parents, teachers, and guardians for teaching me the importance of an oxford comma. Perhaps it was a link I provided to a third party site - an article that described how it would take several hundred hours (days, in fact) to read all the terms and conditions you've agreed to over a lifetime. I sincerely doubt most people take the time to read the average EULA. 

My point was that it's not about whether it's LEGAL or not. It's more that it's unethical, because of the fee for cancelling early and not providing an option for opting out of auto renew. Very strange that people are lawyering up on behalf of Adobe, trying to justify the way they operate based on the terms and conditions of all things.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow you must be proud of taking poor peoples money Karen...real Proud...hope you are a believer in Karma!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who is Karen? 

It has been made clear this is a user Forum and while some Adobe employees participate occasionally I noticed none of the posters here being one so what are you talking about exactly?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Who is Karen?"

@c.pfaffenbichler : "Karen" is a meme for women who feel privileged.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(pejorative)

@Omie5o5E6E : For billing issues, contact Adobe Customer Care: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html
Click the chat icon in the lower right and type "agent". As volunteers we cannot assist with billing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. 

Well, your restraint and conduct seem commendable. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. There are also a lot of spoofs on "Karen" that are super funny. It's not a name you'd want to actually have right now though. 😊

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines