• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there no option to turn off auto renewal?

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be illegal for companies to enable auto renewal by default, but its a whole nother thing to not even have an option to turn it off! I bought an anual plan, payed monthly ($10 a month), and thats essntially $120 a year. I only use photoshop occasionaly, and next year I may decide I dont need it anymore, and as I am a fairly forgetful person, I am not going to remember to cancel it on the exact day. So today I looked online to figure out a way to turn off auto renewal, and I was amazed to find that there isn't, besides from canceling your entire subscription and paying a cancelation fee. On the Adobe help website it says "To turn off auto renewal, simply cancel your membership." But if I do that then I have to pay the cancelation fee! 

I also contacted support via the "contact us" chat box. After stating my question to the bot many times, it finaly patched me through to an actual person, and after stating my question again, I waited for around ten minutes and got no reply. 

So how do I even go about canceling my plan after the year I agreed to pay is over, without paying the cancelation fee? In other words, when does the "early cancelation fee" no longer apply?

TOPICS
Account management , Billing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to cancel: https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-subscription.html

p.s. if canceling early there's an early cancellation fee = 1/2 the cost of the remaining subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im guessing this question gets brought up a lot, and you just coppied and pasted this message (which is fine), but I already know of that solution and the cancelation fee. That doesnt really answer any of my questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it answers how to cancel your subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A subscription auto renews until you cancel https://www.adobe.com/legal/subscription-terms.html

So it is up to YOU to keep track and cancel before your auto renewal date

I use a paper calendar, but there are programs (I think some are free) you can use to have a message pop up at a time of your choosing... which I would advise to be 2 weeks and again 1 week before your renewal

To Cancel https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/cancel-creative-cloud-subscription.html
-or Chat link https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/support.html

-click the chat icon at the bottom right of the page to open a chat session
-the chat icon looks like '3 dots inside a circle' at the lower right
-type AGENT into the chat window to connect directly to a person rather than the AI
Do be aware that Adobe's staffing is impacted by the virus, so wait times are long
Also: beware of answering anyone who sends you a private message
-click for more information about scammers https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop Elements is available for a one-time fee. If you use it so rarely, that might be a better choice for you.

Yes, it is very annoying that Adobe is not opt-out on the autorenewal. If enough people complain they may change that, as they finally updated the sign-up page to tell people about the autorenewal and cancellation fees. My suspicion, though, is that they made it autorenewal without the option to opt-out because customers who didn't remember to renew were complaining about their programs suddenly not working. They can't satisfy everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 To avoid penalty fees, wait until your 12th month of service to cancel.

#2 Your plan details are available 24/7 from you account portal.

https://account.adobe.com/plans

#3 Set a reminder on your cell phone to cancel Photography Plan in the 12th month of service.

Problem solved.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All responses here are correct but one really addresses the basic premise of your question: why can't we turn off auto-renewal?

I can cancel any subscription linked to my Apple ID on my iPhone at any time, months in advance. I guess Adobe enforces auto-renewal with the onus on users to cancel within a specific timeframe, specified by Adobe, because they can.

>>>My suspicion, though, is that they made it autorenewal without the option to opt-out because customers who didn't remember to renew were complaining about their programs suddenly not working.

There's some merit to this but the option to cancel at any time should be available too. I don't believe the onus should be on users to remember to cancel in the 12th month, particularly since Adobe does not send out reminders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines