Highlighted

Will Adobe CC work if I delete the files from Program Files (x86)?

New Here ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve have a subscription with Adobe for my personal computer through my employer. I had to ‘re-up’ today and this time to Adobe CC. (Was CS6.) I followed the instructions, downloaded the Adobe CC desktop application, and when it finished installing I updated select tools including Photoshop and InDesign. When I tried to open Photoshop, it wouldn’t: a notice appeared saying my hard dive was too full and that I needed to clear space. I checked and, with the new Adobe download and updates, I’ve crossed a line I must have been close to - I only have 5.2GB of free space now. Adobe takes up a lot of hard drive space and I noticed that it exists both in Program Files and in Program Files (x86.) I've read that the Program Files (x86) folder is needed for backward compatibility for Windows 32-bit versions. I love my PC, but have little understanding of what makes it tick. Can I delete the Adobe folder in Program Files (x86) and still be able to open and view pdfs that were created or saved on a 32 bit system? Thanks very much.

Topics

Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Will Adobe CC work if I delete the files from Program Files (x86)?

New Here ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve have a subscription with Adobe for my personal computer through my employer. I had to ‘re-up’ today and this time to Adobe CC. (Was CS6.) I followed the instructions, downloaded the Adobe CC desktop application, and when it finished installing I updated select tools including Photoshop and InDesign. When I tried to open Photoshop, it wouldn’t: a notice appeared saying my hard dive was too full and that I needed to clear space. I checked and, with the new Adobe download and updates, I’ve crossed a line I must have been close to - I only have 5.2GB of free space now. Adobe takes up a lot of hard drive space and I noticed that it exists both in Program Files and in Program Files (x86.) I've read that the Program Files (x86) folder is needed for backward compatibility for Windows 32-bit versions. I love my PC, but have little understanding of what makes it tick. Can I delete the Adobe folder in Program Files (x86) and still be able to open and view pdfs that were created or saved on a 32 bit system? Thanks very much.

Topics

Account management, Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't delete folders, you UN-install the programs you don't need

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements to run Creative Cloud + all other apps you intend to use.  Requirements vary by product so check all of them.
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Do not delete files from Program files (x86) or Program Files.

OPTION 1:  Get a bigger computer with more primary hard disk space.

OPTION 2: Free-up the primary drive by uninstalling all non-essential programs.  Move work files to externals.  Use Windows Disk Utilities to Defragment your primary drive.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the replies.

I've been moving files to externals and to Drive and used the defragment tool. I've picked up some space, going from 5.3GB free space to 15.2GB.  I'll keep going, though, because I just received the same message. 

Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crucial to set up the Photoshop scratch disk to one with free space. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines