• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2021 Adobe Acrobat DC — Can't No Longer Reduce File Size

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the feature to save a PDF as a reduced file size been removed from the latest version of the program?? Or did it get moved and I just can't find it?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The feature was absolutely not removed and the response of @GEO14 is wrong.

You access the file reduction feature via File=>Reduce File Size
or File=>Save as Other=>Reduced Size PDF.

That having been said, a safer and more flexible approach is to use
File=>Save as Other=>Optimized PDF which allows you to customize the parameters for file size reduction, avoiding some operations that although they reduce file size, may make the resultant file effectively unusable. The Optimized PDF option also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was not removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same thing the other day, how ever I managed to find a workaround.

1. Close the document

2. Open Acrobat DC (do not open the document you want to reduce)

3. Go to File, Save as Other, Reduce Size PDF

4. Drop your files in the "Arrange documents" folder or select Add Files 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature was absolutely not removed and the response of @GEO14 is wrong.

You access the file reduction feature via File=>Reduce File Size
or File=>Save as Other=>Reduced Size PDF.

That having been said, a safer and more flexible approach is to use
File=>Save as Other=>Optimized PDF which allows you to customize the parameters for file size reduction, avoiding some operations that although they reduce file size, may make the resultant file effectively unusable. The Optimized PDF option also has a feature whereby you can “audit” the PDF file to see where the space in the existing PDF file is used, % and bytes used for images, fonts, etc., such that you can properly decide what is really a candidate for PDF file reduction.

Note that one cannot legislate PDF file size. At some point, you simply cannot reduce a PDF file's size without dramatically messing up the visual quality of the content.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone! I discovered there was a new glitch in my account that only allowed me access to DC Reader (which doesn't have the reduced file size function). I just had to call adobe to help me restore access to Acrobat Pro. Phew! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov Isaacs,

I noticed the reduced file feature not available when combining files into a portfolio.

Otherwise your right the feature is still there and works perfectly if you are not using portfolio.

thanks for your response to this,

Geo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov Isaacs,

I noticed the reduced file feature not available when combining files into a portfolio.

Otherwise your right the feature is still there and works perfectly if you are not using portfolio.

thanks for your response to this,

Geo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't reduce the size of a portfolio. You can reduce the size of the seperate documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reduced the file size of the portfolio by using the workaround below:

1. Close the document

2. Open Acrobat DC (do not open the document you want to reduce)

3. Go to File, Save as Other, Reduce Size PDF

4. Drop your files in the "Arrange documents" folder or select Add Files 

thanks

Geo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be found under, "SAVE AS OTHER," and then the Drop-Down Menu shows, "REDUCED FILE SIZE."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see that anymore at all, was it completely removed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does you see at File > Save as Other > ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Leonardo,

Are you using Acrobat Pro or Reader? Please confirm, if using reader it's not available. If using Pro it will be an available option to reduce the file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to "upgrade" from Adobe XI to the Pro DC suite with my new MacBook Pro. The optimizer, accessed as explained by Dov Isaacs, drops out immediately after it starts, and my files remain large after scanning.

There were always some files Adobe had issues with but this is now consistent with every file I open.  Optimizer starts, it's saying it is reducing size, then stops immediately, file has the exact same size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Acrobat Pro - up to date - File compression works episodically, usually not at all. Files end up at 95% to 105% of the original size when saving to Other - Reduce File Size ... except ... occasionally when the reduction is truly amazing (e.g., 15 MB to 800 KB). Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines