• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

a problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab

New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a unique situation that when I open a PDF, which is defaulted to open in Microsoft Edge, and click a link in the pdf to take me to another webpage, I get the error "a problem with this webpage caused Internet Explorer to close and reopen the tab."

From what I can see it looks like this is a plugin issue.  I am not sure why it is calling Internet Explorer since this is within edge, but hey MS and Adobe...

Some troubleshooting:

In event viewer I can see an error related to the event:

Faulting application name: IEXPLORE.EXE, version: 11.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xd19ec57a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1466, time stamp: 0x9012d056
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00087271
Faulting process id: 0x1bf40
Faulting application start time: 0x01d845d245c35e51
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: ddf50787-febf-42c2-a80d-34e27725b620
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Some limitations:

I cannot change my default PDF viewer to open in acrobat or reader since this document goes outside of my organization and I cannot control clients' defaults.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Hi Rudy

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. 

Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF content and they are not Adobe dependent. The ideal way is to download the document to your computer locally and open it with the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC application.

Please ask the users to download the document to their computer locally and open it with the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC application and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Thank you everyone for the replies.  This looks like it was only internal to our org and not to clients.

The issue was that there was a compatability site list for edge that was forcing IE11 compatability for the PDF page.  We added an exception to the hosting site and this forced Edge compatability and the links work now.

This does not change the fact IE compatability for pdfs in Edge are crashing IE but it is nice to find the cause of concern for our HR department and fix it.

we have a enterpr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rudy

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. 

Web browsers use their own PDF mechanism to render and display the PDF content and they are not Adobe dependent. The ideal way is to download the document to your computer locally and open it with the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC application.

Please ask the users to download the document to their computer locally and open it with the Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC application and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some limitations:

I cannot change my default PDF viewer to open in acrobat or reader since this document goes outside of my organization and I cannot control clients' defaults.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

By @Rudy23856052rjv1

As you cannot control the program the user uses to view the file, can you control the PDF creation?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for the replies.  This looks like it was only internal to our org and not to clients.

The issue was that there was a compatability site list for edge that was forcing IE11 compatability for the PDF page.  We added an exception to the hosting site and this forced Edge compatability and the links work now.

This does not change the fact IE compatability for pdfs in Edge are crashing IE but it is nice to find the cause of concern for our HR department and fix it.

we have a enterprisemodesitelist.xml that was forcing the site into IE11 compatability mode.  we editted the xml to exclude the specific site for pdf hosting and ensured the change reflected in edge://compat.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since Internet Explorer is on the decline, I wouldn't worry about that. Compatibility should only be enforced if certain Explorer-specific features need to be used. But that should be limited today.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines