Accessibility: Images marked as "Decorative Images" still demanding alt text

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I work on a lot of accessibility projects including remediating PDFs that need to meed ADA compliance.  When I go through and add alternative text to images, several of them do not require alt text, as they are purely decorative images. Naturally I check the "decorative image" box which marks them as a background artifact.

However, these same images pop back up in the accessibility checker which demands they still be given alt text. Why?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, has anyone found a fix for this?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With enough time and experience, I think I've answered my own question. Typically this problem resides in the tag structure. Open you tab panel and locate where the image tag is in the hierarchy tree. Pay attention to the type of tag that is being used and if there is more thatn one item inside the tag or not.

If the tag is labelled as an "artifact" it should not be requiring alt text. (This is for decorative images)

If the tag is labelled as a "figure" it will require artifact.

If the tag is artifact but it is still seems to want alt text, check to make sure it is not accidentally nested inside a figure tag. If so move it outside of the image tag. In almost all cases, check the tagging structure. When image (figure) tags are on their own and not nested inside another tag, the seem to work better as expected. I hope this help a little. Let me know if you have more questions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines