• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Accessible Documents Acrobat and InDesign issue.

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I make a multipage document from InDesign and try to make it accessible I get a Structural Parent Tree Inconsistent Entry Found and have no idea how to fix it.

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bextemp

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described, Everytime you make a multipage document from InDesign and try to make it accessible you get a Structural Parent Tree Inconsistent Entry Found.

This usually is a result of incorrectly threaded story frames, inconsistent use of Paragraph Styles, and basic poor construction methods in InDesign.

Please check out the suggestions and the correct answer marked in the similar discussion https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-fix-an-issue-within-the-structural-parent-tree-for-acc... and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can links causing Structural Parent Tree Inconsistent Entry Found issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sometimes they can.

One common error: not using InDesign's Hyperlinks panel for all hyperlinks. Use it!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other issues it maybe? 

Is there away to share my indesign file for someone to help me try and figure out what's causing this issue I have 5 Structural Parent Tree Inconsistent Entry Found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also how am I supposed to find the issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, my regular "Accessible InDesign + PDF" class is 16 hours, and both my students and I would love to make it 20 hours. <grin>

How could I possibly give you that information here in a free, volunteer user-to-user forum?

You don't really "find the issues;" rather, you instead learn how to not create the issues in the first place, and then how to examine a PDF for compliance and determine then how to correct the errors.

Most corrections need to be made in the source document, in your case the INDD file, and then re-exported to a better, more compliant PDF.

Accessibility is like Photoshop: you will alwasy be learning new things about it for the rest of your career.

There are no magic wands or "easy buttons" to click to make an accessible PDF. You learn to craft your files to maximize accessibility, and that takes time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response and help. Sorry I've been at this for a while. I am narrowing down the issues slowly. But was hoping there was more of a straight forward thing. I want to learn 🙂 where the errors are coming from. 

I wish InDesign was taught better in school probably be looking into some InDesign courses more in depth since I've figured out how these errors are happening. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish InDesign was taught better in school probably be looking into some InDesign courses more in depth since I've figured out how these errors are happening. 🙂 

By @Bec W.

This has been an industry problem for decades. "Those who decide the college curriculum" usually don't have much professional experience in the real world (said as a former adjuct faculty in a graphic design/digital media cirruculum at a major university, and as a former magazine art director). Their reasoning for not teaching these technicalities is that they don't want to impair the students' creativity, and that students will learn these things once on the job.

The problem is that graduates end up in your situation: something's not right and you can't figure out what it is and your job is on the line.

Most design students have a hard time getting jobs right out of school because they don't know the difference between CMYK and RGB, or they don't know how to make an accessible brochure, or they don't know how to make a basic website that's accessible.

Art = create whatever you want, who cares if it's accessible.

Design = Art + Engineering to craft a solution that fulfills the need for accessible, gorgeous, effective communication to everyone.

I can't comment about other training, but we specifically design our master classes to meet the needs of professionals who didn't get everything they need during their original training. We teach what we do — the methods covered are the ones we use in our studio to create our clients' projects, and they export from InDesign nearly perfectly and need only minor tweaks in Acrobat to meet accessibility requirements. Rarely do we get the errors you described. I'm taking a break right now from a 80-page annual report...90%+ accessible right out of InDesign.

I hope you'll consider one of our master classes, I'd love to have you in it. When you're ready, contact me offlist from our website, mention this thread, and I'll see what discount I can give you (and that offer is for anyone else who reads this thread).

You can bet that I won't retire rich doing something like that! But I'm in this field for a personal reason; accessibility affects my family, friends, and colleagues.

I want to change the way we graphic designers design and ensure that everything we create is available to everyone, regardless of whether they have a disability or use this technology versus another. It is possible to have creative, great graphic design and be accessible, too. It's all about the engineering!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi, I am emailing you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Bevi Chagnon - PubCom.com I have emailed you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines