• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 8 adds extra characters to the running header

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2006 Dec 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat 8 Standard on an XP machine with Office 2003. My documents use running headers and footers. Both headers and footers derive their content from the document properties or the heading level. When I create a PDF using Acrobat 8, it's adding extra characters to the running headers. For example:

0BContents
8BSystem Requirements

Updating the field doesn't help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 101 Replies 101
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2006 Dec 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit more info on the problem. The footers contains fields that reference the document properties. They work fine. The headers have a styleref field that calls Heading 2. I'm guessing the extra characters are some internal reference to the heading.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. We can't use Acrobat 8 unless I can find a fix for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need a sample document to reproduce. Can you post one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can if you tell me how to get the Word doc posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You simply have to post it on a web site. In a company, the IT folks can typically do this for you for a limited amount of time. If you have a separate ISP, those connections typically come with the ability to post to a directory of yours on their system (need FTP to upload). Some ISPs require the web to be setup (maybe an additional fee for setting it up). Not a good answer, but it is the process.

If you at a company, try asking your IT folks to post it and give you the URL. They will likely appreciate knowing when they can remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IT department around here isn't very helpful. I think I've got it working from the site listed below. It's the only file on the site.

I've done some more testing and other fields worked in the header so it does seem to be specific to the styleref field. Unfortunately that's what we use for all our docs here and the bug has turned up in every file I've tested.

http://home.comcast.net/~callieann48103/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that it also related to PDFMaker. Printing to PDF worked fine. Again, we really need PDFMaker because of the features it provides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, looks like a bug. When you un-check the option to generate bookmarks, the problem doesn't occur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, thanks for confirmation Mark.

Now will you actually report this or does this just die here? My boss is not going to be willing to spend money on a tech support call especially since we now have 5 copies of Acrobat 8 that we cannot use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2006 Dec 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been reported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2006 Dec 31, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just encountered this same problem with the trial version and was going to upgrade to Acrobat Version 8, but cannot until this problem is fixed. Does anyone know how to find out if/when this will be corrected? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2007 Jan 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No specific date has been given, just sometime this year.

I'm hoping it makes it into the first patch as this is keeping us from upgrading too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2007 Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know the identification for the bug report that Adobe is working against -- i.e., for the purpose of tracking?

I tried searching for "styleref" in the Adobe Knowledgebase (for all products), and no results occurred.. I would have hoped that if it is a reported bug, this search should have found something in the Knowledgebase (sigh).

Thx,
Gloria Mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2007 Feb 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen any identification number for this issue. MarkATS states in this thread that it's been reported. In another thread on this issue, he repeated that and wrote that it should be corrected in the patch.

Maybe MarkATS will spot this and chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Just wondering if MarkATS can give us an update on when this bug will be fixed/when patch will be coming out for Acrobat 8.

--Gloria Mc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2007 Mar 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Development do not tend to talk to Tech Support in my experience and Adobe are traditionally VERY reluctant to pre-announce releases or patches.

We may just have to wait, although Mark MAY be able to sneak out some kind of estimation as to when 8.01 will come out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2007 Mar 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point, Ian. I did notice this statement in the Adobe TechNote about Office 2007: "In the first half of 2007, we expect to issue a free Acrobat 8 patch that will provide support for Office 2007." Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later, and the Office patch will include the header fix (for pre-2007 Word).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2007 Mar 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm grateful for the postings on this topic. It leaves me, though, with a dilemna. What am I supposed to do now? I have a 100+-page document that, when converted from Word 2003 to a PDF via Acrobat 8 Professional, has extra characters in the running headers. I need the bookmarks, so unchecking that option is not acceptable for this document.

Is there a workaround? Anything I can do while waiting for the bug to be fixed? I need to return this PDF to the client today.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we're in horrible work-around territory, could you make one PDF
with bookmarks, one without, and replace the page contents of one with
the other? It all depends whether the page breaks are the same.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If printing to the Adobe PDF printer gives you the right result (without the bookmarks) produce two versions one as above, one using the buttons in word. Open the one produced from word (with bookmarks and errors) replace all pages with the pages from the other pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies; I will hold onto them. For this time, I moved the Word file to another computer (that has Acrobat 7), converted the file to a PDF, and moved it back to this computer (that has Adobe Creative Suite CS2.3, $$$). Not.Very.Efficient. I'm self-employed, and time is money.

BTW, I replaced the older computer in part because Acrobat was choking on the huge files (50 to 100 MB) I had to convert to PDFs. And I just didn't have time to spend 45+ minutes converting one file. So here I am using the older one again.

Can't wait for the update of Acrobat 8.

Thanks again; I appreciate your suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Hi, Just wondering if MarkATS can give us an update on when this bug will be fixed/when patch will be coming out for Acrobat 8.

No, I can't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2007 Mar 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to us, Mark. We are all waiting with bated breath.

To others, the workaround is a good one - not too timconsuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
we hope to buy Acrobat 8 but this bug is too annoying for our work.

We create technical documentation and all our manuals use the field "refstyle title 1" in their header.

Is the patch coming soon or must we buy the version 7 to avoid this bug ?

thanks.

Régnier Loïc
Air Liquide Welding France

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2007 Jul 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 8.1 update. That should fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines