Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat crash / Indesign saving PDFs / Disconnects from server

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope that someone can help me with a recent persistent issue I have with saving PDFs from InDesign/Acrobat Pro DC:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)

3.3 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

OS Mojave 10.14.1

With a QNAP(AFP)  Windows based server.

Acrobat Pro DC (latest)

InDesign CC 2019 (latest)

This has only happened with recent updates of Acrobat.

1. I export a PDF from InDesign from my mac to our shared drive (QNAP)

2. (Not every time) the above action crashes InDesign (Spinning Wheel of Death)

3. The PDF is saved, but I have to force quite Acrobat to regain control of InDesign

4. This also causes my computer to disconnect from the shared drive so I can't then save the open InDesign document on the shared drive.

5. My 'Favourites' in my side bar change. It puts previous (and since deleted) favourites back. These are not consistent with each crash.

It's really disrupting my workflow as I save PDFs on a very regular basis. If anyone can help would be very much appreciated. I should note that I do not have a technical knowledge of our shared drive (QNAP).

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi'

How did you solve this problem?

We nearly have the same setup and the same problem - and only when working via AFP from a QNAP'

This is happening randomly'
Also having problems when opening .pdf files from the AFP-server.
Acrobat crashed - randomly 😕

Is getting this message in the log:
Network mount: (afpfs) has been unresponsive for »XX«s

This is not a problem when running Mac OS 10.12.6 - only when running 10.13.6 or newer'.

We have tried the Acrobat Cleaning tool and reinstall - without any luck'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MadsDaniel,

Sorry for the delay in response.

As you have mentioned above the Acrobat applicaiton crashes when randomly when opening the PDFs from the server.

Please provide more details about the issue as asked below:

- What is the Acrobat version installed on the machine?

- Does the Acrobat crash only when opening the files from the server?

- Did you check if the applicaiton crashes if you save that particular file on the machine locally and open it? If not, please try.

- Is it an issue on a specific machine or on multiple machines?

- Would it be possible to share any sample PDF on which the issue occurs? To share a file, refer to the steps provided here How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

It would be helpful if you can share the exact workflow and the screenshot of the error message you receive.

To share the screenshot, use the steps provided below:

- Click on the insert icon provided in the reply window as shown below:

Capture screenshot.PNG

- An Insert Image window will appear.

- Then click on Insert Image and browse the location where you have saved the screenshot file.

- Select the file and click on Open > Insert Image.

Let us know if you need any help or have any questions.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi' - That's OKAY

- Acrobat 9.012.20034

- Yep, only when opening from a AFP fileshare - QNAP
- This is random on totally different files

- This happens on multiple machines with Mac OS 10.13.6

It's happening when opening a file - and then Acrobat »is not responding«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MadsDaniel,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Please try once the troubleshooting steps provided here Troubleshoot Mac OS 10.x system errors, freezes | Adobe software

Check if that helps.

Can you share any sample PDF on which the issue occurs with us?

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Rejoining this conversation after nearly a year. Couldnt find a solution to this, tried troubleshooting with the link that was posted but seem to be still having the same issue. MadsDaniel, did you have any luck getting the bottom of this, it drives me a bit crackers! I save PDFs ALLLL the time. Hope someone can help with this.

I recreated it just now by:

1. Opening and saving a new InDesign document

2. Exporting a PDF (I did this about 7 times, including new versions of the file and also over the top of the saved PDFs until it crashed on the 7th time.

3. This crashed both Indesign and Acrobat

4. I then force quit acrobat

5. This allowed me to return to my InDesign document.

Often the file crashes on the 1st time that I export it. (Crash report attached)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also having this same problem. ID 17.3, macOS 12.2.1. Trying to save to a NAS Drobo using AFP. The workaround was to turn off "View PDF after Exporting" in the export dialogue. Super annoying though because we really like to see the PDF after exporting! As others have mentioned, there is no pattern for determining which files will cause the crash. It's random and unexpected. Would love to see an answer from Adobe on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem, on 2 different Macs, in Mac OS 12.6.3, when saving to a Synology NAS. This can happen dozens of times a day, causing the Finder to crash and the Mac to restart. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having the same problem as well, using a synology Server. Almost every time i open a PDF file directly from server, with Indesign open and active, Finder, Acrobat Pro and Indesign crash. Sometimes i even have to shut down and restart the MAC. I'm using a M1 Minimac and i have the latest version of each software installed. This is making working with the server almost impossible. I'm using MacOS Monterey version 12.6.3 (21G419)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines