• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC Compression

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years I've resisted changing over from XI to DC, and for good reasons.  Finally, I got tired of fending off cloud update.  After changing over it's been a terrible experience and has affected efficient work flow.  Most changes to functions were a simple learning obstacle and could/can be overcome.  But the latest is method of reducing file size.  The optimization tools in DC do not compress adequately.  I put a lot of pictures in my files, which even small picture files can add up quickly.  The resolution in the finished product doesn't have to be high quality, so I reduce file size on the finished product to be compatible with email.  A 12-15MB file can be challenging to some email servers.  XI would reduce file size to <1MB.  DC may to 10MB.  Then I have to use online compression tools an adobe site to get it down to 1-2MB.  Irritating!  Why doesn't DC compress as much as online tools?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you have a specific workflow it might be better to optimise your PDF rather than compress.

BarlaeDC_0-1630943986867.png

this then opens a panel that allows you to control what happens ( I believe this was available in XI too).

But it gives you a lot more options, particularly when it comes to images

BarlaeDC_1-1630944044774.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my standard process in XI, but it doesn't do the same job in DC.  That's the problem.  DC has a lot of paths to get to the optimization panel, but none substantially reduce the file size like it did in XI.  Hence why I get forced into compression online.  I've tried changing the settings in the optimization panel.  But even with loussy low res picture settings I end up with a file over 10MB when starting with 13MB.  Compression takes it down to around 1-2 MB.  Hence the reason for this post.  There has got to be a setting in the panel to get as low as the online utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Well that is not great, sorry I couldn't be more help, I  foolishly assumed it would just be the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ecoplin

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

++ Adding to the discussion

Acrobat reduces the size of a PDF file without compromising quality. The Acrobat PDF compression tool balances an optimized file size against the expected quality of images, fonts, and other file content.

PDF Optimizer provides many settings for reducing the size of PDF files. Some of the PDF Optimizer settings are comparable to the settings that are available when you create a PDF file using Distiller. Whether you use all of these settings or only a few depends on how you intend to use the files and on the essential properties a file must have.

In most cases, the default settings are appropriate for maximum efficiency—saving space by removing embedded fonts, compressing images, and removing items from the file that are no longer needed. Before you optimize a file, it’s a good idea to audit the file’s space usage. The space audit results may give you ideas about where best to reduce file size. You can also reduce the size of your PDF by using the Reduce File Size command.

For more information, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/optimizing-pdfs-acrobat-pro.html

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that doesn't provide any useful information for a response.  It's the standard info found in other standard how to pages on the adobe website.  Cut and paste isn't useful in this discussion.  I know what optimization does, but not why it doesn't do the same as it did in XI or why I have to use an online tool that used to be available in the acrobat software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path is the same.

Options are the same.

Features are the same.

The true is elsewhere…

Acrobat Pro XI :

Capture_094.png

Capture_097.png

Acrobat Pro DC :

Capture_095.png

Capture_098.png

(We can note on the last capture that the management of the Dark Grey theme of Acrobat DC still leaves something to be desired...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.  But the "true" is eluding me.  Here's an example of settings that doesn't reduce a 12.8MB file any at all, where as the online tool took it down to 1MB:

ecoplin_1-1630951229065.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I have found where the truth is hidden, try to untick this option (Optimize images only…) :

Capture_63.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried it.  No affect.  Truth is still eluding us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines