• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC crashing after opening - error 205

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had my CC apps on this particular Windows 10 system since last November and have used Acrobat DC numerous times without trouble, including just a few days ago. Suddenly yesterday, it now crashes seconds after opening with the message.

"Sorry, Acrobat DC has encountered an error and needs to close.

You will not be able to use Acrobat DC at this time. Please contact Customer Support and use the reference code 205 for more information on how to resolve this issue."

Uninstalling and reinstalling did nothing. The installation on my older laptop still works fine. So exactly what kind of event could have caused this to happen literally overnight?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Today, Acrobat DC simply started working again with no action on my part. As mentioned in my last post, the main thing I noticed in the couple available seconds before the crash is that it was not logged into my account, while all my other Adobe apps were. So, while everything is fine now, there are still no answers. If it happens again, I'll try your last suggestion. Otherwise, I have a hard time being content with the fact that it works now as it could stop again at anytime with no obvious cau

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Hi! I finally resolved my issue with the code 205 by installing the following Windows update:

June 2, 2022-KB5013887 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2, Windows Server, version 20H2, Windows 10 Version 21H1, and Windows 10 Version 21H2

All started to work again after the reboot...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Would you mind sharing the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 22.1.20117 (Win) installed. Go to help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also, try to repair the installation from the help menu and reboot the computer again and check.

You may also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win and try using the application there and check.

Also please go through the help pages listed below and see if that works:

https://helpx.adobe.com/mt/creative-cloud/kb/troubleshoot-download-install-logs.html#error205

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have the same error since this morning.  I did try everything siggested, but to no avail.  On the other side all is working whan I use the web application.  All of my other Adobe software work well also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now it's happening with Media Encoder, which is far more important. Every app is always up-to date. This is becoming extremely frustrating! Same error 205. None of the Acrobat DC suggestions worked. With both apps it started out of the blue when it worked fine the day before. What is going on?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, the Media Encoder issue cleared up shortly after, though I did open it several times with the same error before it eventually worked. Therefore, this was not a one-time fluke. Acrobate DC however still crashes! What exactly is behind error 205, especially in light of this brief Media Encoder incident?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing an issue with Acrobat crashing due to "error 205" as soon as it opens. All my apps and my operating system are up-to-date. It keeps happening after restarting and attempting to reinstall.

I hope a solution can be found soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

We have the same problem in our company since yesterday. Can´t open any pdfs anymore. It´s frustrating. Nothing changed since the day before: no updates and nothing. Please fix this error ASAP Adobe Team. We need to edit our invoices with Acrobat DC - so no income without Acrobat...that can´t be!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that.

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html reboot the computer and reinstall the application using the link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and check

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I note your advice above but reading the instructions  before launching the tool it says that it is only for a stand alone product note part of Creative Cloud installation. Mine is part of a Creative Cloud subsciption so what should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You may continue with the Acrobat cleaner tool as it is used to remove the application from the system and then follow the steps shared above.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried cleaner twice, no luck! I've noticed for the couple seconds Acrobat DC is open before crashing that it is not logged into my account, but there is no time to attempt a login before the crash. Opening as administrator doesn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem as well. I believe I was able to resolve it by running the program as an administrator. Right-click the Acrobat DC icon on the desktop and select "run as administrator" in the resulting context-sensitive menu. I only had to do this once. Acrobat has opened normally since. I have no idea how or even if this worked but it's worth a try. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps you detailed above but when I came to reinstall DC the installation program put it on the wrong drive as I have my Adobe apps on my D drive but DC was put back on my C drive. When I launched the program I had the same error. However, I tried Stephen's workaround, detailed above, and it did work so wish I had seen it first. I could not leave the program on the C drive as Creative Cloud app does not see it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling from Creative Cloud but that now gives me a 136 error so where do I go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to fix the issue by renaming the old DC folder. Even though it appeared empty it was clearly upsetting the installation. A few settings lost but at least it is working again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also randomly just started getting this error about a day ago with similarly no updates or changes.  I have Adobe Creative Cloud and have had no issues for several years now and then this one out of the blue.  I can't read any PDF's anymore in Adobe Acrobat DC.

-> I uninstalled and reinstalled.  Same problem

-> Ran program as administrato. Same problem.

This is unacceptable and the lack of information from Adobe in helping with this error is non-existent. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please try to sign out of the Creative Cloud desktop application and reboot the computer once and re-login with the same Adobe ID and check if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, Acrobat DC simply started working again with no action on my part. As mentioned in my last post, the main thing I noticed in the couple available seconds before the crash is that it was not logged into my account, while all my other Adobe apps were. So, while everything is fine now, there are still no answers. If it happens again, I'll try your last suggestion. Otherwise, I have a hard time being content with the fact that it works now as it could stop again at anytime with no obvious cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I finally resolved my issue with the code 205 by installing the following Windows update:

June 2, 2022-KB5013887 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10, version 20H2, Windows Server, version 20H2, Windows 10 Version 21H1, and Windows 10 Version 21H2

All started to work again after the reboot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, today Photoshop started doing it! There was a pending Photoshop update, but that didn't help. So I tried your suggestion of logging out of the Creative Cloud desktop app, rebooting and logging back in and it worked! So, I would say that along with LeBuzz's remedy are the first things worth trying. Regarding Windows updates, is anyone running on Windows 11? I've been intentionally holding back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2022 Jun 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously I had this problem with Adobe Acrobat, and like you, it spontaneously corrected itself.  Just today though I opened photoshop and the same thing happened.  I am running Windows 11 and I update frequently.  Pretty sad you can have a paid product, not be able to use it, and get very little support from that company.  I find it frustrating to be slapped with a numbered error (205) yet you can't find any information on what the heck that error means or how to fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its working for me! I had the same problem. When i sign out, reboot win10 and i sign in again the problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have the same problem: 

"Sorry, Adobe Acrobat has encountered an error and needs to close.
You will not be able to use Adobe Acrobat at this time. Please contact Customer Support and use the reference code 205 for more information on how to resolve this issue."

I uninsttalled/reinstalled Acrobat and restarted my Mac. I uninsttalled/reinstalled Creative Cloud and Acrobat restarted my Mac. I threw away my preferences, uninsttalled/reinstalled Creative Cloud and Acrobat restarted my Mac. I've pretty much done everything but Acrobat still malfunctions.

I'm runing an M1 Macbook with OS 12.6. I have an enterprise account through my university. What's the fix? I need this to work immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downlaoded the free Reader version. It opens up and I can read the "wescome" pdf, but I can't open any pdfs on my computer. I'm very upset. I need to be able to use the pdfs on my computer always and immediately for work purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Just launched Lightroom and other Adobe apps, no problem. It's just Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone watching this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines