• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC does not appear to support multiple Desktops in Windows 11

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the best new features in Windows 11 is easy management of multiple Desktops.  I have a Desktop for each of my jobs plus another for my home life.  Most of the apps I use open up in an instance in each Desktop  - for example, I can have Outlook opened to my job #1 calendar in Desktop #1, and open to my job #2 work email in  Desktop #2.  Butr this is not the case with Acrobat DC.  If Acrobat DC is open in Desktop #1, and I open a PDF attachment in Desktop #2, it sends me back to Desktop #1 - ruining the whole experience of using Desktops  (I don't want PDF files from job #2 open in the same instance of Acrobat as job #1) 

Adobe: Is there a way to have multiple instances of Acrobat DC running at the same time?  If not, please make it so I can have multiple instances of Acrobat DC across multiple Desktops.  I'm running Adobe Acrobat DC (21.007.20099)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this exact same scenario and fully support the ability to work in multiple virtual desktops throuh taskview on windows 11.   Looking forward to a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2022 Mar 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same issue. I'm using currently four different (virtual) desktops and it's really annoying when I open a PDF it switches to some other desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, very annoying it pops from one desktop to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maikel,

Thank you for reaching out.

Would you mind elaborating on the issue? Do you mean that the PDF opens on a different desktop than the one it is supposed to? 

Or do you mean to open one PDF on one desktop and one on another?

It would be helpful if you could share a video for better understanding.

Please share the Acrobat in use.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 11 you can use virtual desktops. I was using them to have my personal and work items in different desktops, but I had to give up since Acrobat keeps opening in wrong desktop. 

For example, I have two virtual desktops, one for personal and one for work. I have an acrobat instance open in my personal desktop. Then I'll switch to the work desktop and open a PDF file there. It will open and swith to my private desktop. A better approach and how it should work is to open a new Acrobat instance in work desktop so I don't need to switch between desktops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MeenakshiNegi-

I was going to create a video for you, but I have too much personal info on my computer that I would prefer to keep private.  So here are some step by step instructions that should make the problem perfectly obvious. The root problem is that Adobe Acrobat DC only supports one instance of itself at a time.

1. Make sure you have created at least two virtual desktops.  We'll use desktop #1 and desktop #2 in this example.

2. First, let's see how programs should work on two different desktops using Microsoft Word.  

--> On desktop #1, Open a Microsoft Word document  

--> On desktop #2, Open a different Microsoft Word document.

--> switch back and forth between Desktop #1 and #2.  You will notice two INSTANCES of Microsoft Word, each with a different document open,  Any action in either instance of Microsoft Word has no affect on the other instance.  This is the desired behavior.

3. Now open a PDF document in Adobe Acrobat DC on Desktop #1 

4. Switch to Desktop #2 and open another PDF document in Adobe Acrobat DC

--> No matter how you try (double-click on a PDF or try to open Adobe Acrobat DC directly) you will be switched back to the single instance of Adobe Acrobat on desktop #1.  This is not desired behavior. The desired behavior is for two instances of Adobe Acrobat, one being on desktop #1, and the other on desktop #2.

As stated above, the root problem is Adobe Acrobat DC only supports one INSTANCE (or Window) of itself, whether on one desktop or across several.  For instance, even before virutal desktop became a feature, people familiar with Windows often ran multiple instances of software  in one desktop (try apps like Calculator that are built into Windows). While Windows 10 supports multiple desktops, Windows 11 has made the feature much more user freindly, encouraging users to separate major tasks (like work and play) on two or more seperate virtual desktops, each with their own instance of the apps they use. 

If you are not familiar with Virtual Desktops (or instances of a an app), just do a web search and you will find lots of how-to videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same issue on a daily basis and it's a major problem for me. Reduces my productivity and costs me money. Here's a video of the issue. Please address promptly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I second all these requests to fix this. Really prevents usage of Virtual Desktops almost entirely. Any newly opened file should by default go to the last active window OF THE CURRENT VIRTUAL DESKTOP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Acrobat with the cmdline option /n

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bernd Alheit How do you do that? with the cmdline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. While this works to a certain extent, the following issues remain:

1. To make Adobe Acrobat DC generate multiple instances I had to create a shortcut and add the command line switch /n.  Not at all the same as the 'out of the box' experience such as MS Word and other apps.  

2.  Double-clicking on a PDF document will always open the doc in the last opened instance of Acrobat.  If the last instance resides in a different desktop, then you are automatically switched to that desktop - this is undesired behavior.

--> With MS Word, I can open an instance in desktop #1, switch to desktop #2, double-click on a Word docx file, causing MS Word to automatically open a 2nd instance of itself on desktop #2.  This is desired behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines