Acrobat [DC] Pro keeps hanging on advanced search

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large repository of PDF ifles I want to search using the Advanced Search feature. When I run it it consistently hangs and never complete. I have tried running it in Safe mode as well as normal mode. I want to report this to Adobe support but have found no way to do this. Attaching spindump.txt and Sample of Acrobat Pro DC.txt generated per instructions.

[Subject edited by moderator as per clarification in later posts. Was "Acrobat Reader Pro keeps hanging on advanced search".]

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Can you confirm the exact version of your operating system and software.

Also, can you indicate where are the files stored. It is possible that files stored on a network drive, server or other location other that local drive storage might cause some searching issues.

You can report technical bugs and suggestions for new features at Share your feedback on Acrobat DC (uservoice.com)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Eric. More details:

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

Architecture: x86_64, Processor: Apple M1 Pro, Build: 22.1.20112.0, AGM: 4.30.116, CoolType: 6.2.0, JP2K: 2.0.4.50016

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)

Original report related to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 (Build 21E258)

Just upgraded to macOSMonterey 12.4, which did not change anything. 

Files are on the local SSD and the issue recurred in safe mode.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this forum is for Acrobat DC - 

Acrobat Reader has its own forum, you should have put your question there.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated, it is Acrobat Pro DC, not Reader, which I did not mention. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaniFl wrote:

As stated, it is Acrobat Pro DC, not Reader, which I did not mention. 

Your subject line says, "Acrobat Reader Pro keeps hanging on advanced search". I'll edit it for you.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It would be nice if I could edit my own post.

Can you point me to instructions for generating spindump.txt and "Sample of Acrobat Pro DC.txt". Can't seem to find it again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaniFl wrote:

Can you point me to instructions for generating spindump.txt and "Sample of Acrobat Pro DC.txt".

Hi Dani,

You're welcome, and you can ask a moderator to make edits for you when needed.

I had never heard of "spindump.txt" before, so I did a Google search and found out it's part of macOS. I found directions for creating the file on a Zoom Help page.

I noticed in your spindump that you are using Monterey. Are you on an M1?

I had one other thought and I don't know if it will help you or not. A long time ago, creating an Index was required before searching; then it became optional; now it's rarely used. It reduces the time because it searches the index and may possibly help you.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/creating-pdf-indexes.html

Jane

Forum volunteer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two files were stated as required to submit an issue and the instructions for generating them were on the Adobe site. Found one example here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/how-to-get-a-process-sample-or-spindump.html.

I am trying to change my screen name (automatically generated) in the account settings. Did it three times and it keeps revering back to the original one. Can you change it to DaniFl? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaniFl wrote:

I am trying to change my screen name (automatically generated) in the account settings. Did it three times and it keeps revering back to the original one. Can you change it to DaniFl? 

Only Staff can change your screen name. I'll report it to the proper person. Monday is a federal holiday, so it's possible that she won't see it until Tuesday. 

To confirm, you tried it here, is that correct?

https://account.adobe.com/profile

5CE0CD25-81DF-4BDF-8E24-3168BF212F1D.jpeg

If it doesn't happen by Tuesday or Wednesday, tag me by typing the @ symbol first.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes. There. Several times. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines