Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC: Unable to select text when print from browser

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup: Windows 10 Pro x64

Acrobat DC (installed via Adobe Creative Cloud)

Issue:

• when I print a webpage from my browser and then try to select text (via the Selection tool, the arrow titled to the top left) it selects a chunk of text (rather than a single line). Note that the underlying text is there, it is not an issue of it printing an image. The example here uses Chrome but I have similar results with Firefox
  • when I print the same webpage via Adobe Acrobat (via Create > PDF from webpage) the resulting file allows me to select the text
  • for reference I include files from each of the approaches as well as an image showing the problem of selecting text when I print from the browser: I only can attach one filer per post so I will include them in follow-up posts

There is clearly a setting I am missing which is not correct. Fonts are not the issue: see two posts downI have noticed that the fonts are different in the two cases (in Acrobat: File > Properties > Fonts),

• when I print from the browser I get some Type 3 font
  • when I print from Acrobat I get (more familiat) TrueType fonts

I had tried forcing TrueType fonts by going to Windows Settings > Printers> Adobe PDF > Manage > Printer Properties > Preferences > Paper Quality > Advanced > Graphic: True Type Font > select "Download as Softfont" but this did not change things.

If anyone has suggestions on how to proceed I would greatly appreciate it!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Hello Robert,

Thanks for reporting.

The issue is not from Adobe's end but instead from Chrome/Firefox's.

The file generated by Chrome (sometimes FireFox as well) when printing to Adobe PDF contains outlines for the text elements and hence in the generated PDF we will have corresponding outlines (vectors) instead of live text and therefore, text can not be selected.

Whereas, the file generated by IE (internet explorer) contains vector outlines instead of actual text and hence in the PDF generat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

If I open the file with problems (SamplePrint_Chrome.pdf) and then  print again from Acrobat DC the resulting file allows me to select text in the usual fashion. I see that the fonts are still not  TrueType so that must not have been the issue. Again any suggestions are most welcome.

Re-printed PDF (after print from browser): gofile.io link  

Re-printed PDF (after print from browser): file.io link 

1April 2020 update: this workaround actually does not work. See my response to Swapnil below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get only HTML error 404.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I have not been able to attach files here. I reuploaded to another file sharing site. Let me know if you have issues now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to check in to see if anyone had thoughts on this? Very frustrating since I essentially can not copy the upderlying text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue. I have been trying to come up with a solution since support for IE is going away. We print hundreds of files a week and we have to "highlight" certain information on each file for the next person to be able to view and find it quickly. The only browser this works on is IE. It's quite frustrating and I have been looking for a solutions for months and just come across your post. Did you ever find a solution? 
We do not have time to save and then re-save and export and all that jazz as we have deadlines and need to work efficiently. When we try to select or highlight text, it highlights in strange splotchy spots and does not highlight the spots we've attempted to select. 
we have tried chrome, Edge and Firefox. Highlighting only works in IE. 
thisnis our only solution as we "suddenly" had to work from home during Covid. 
any help would be great! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print to Adobe PDF in Firefox and it will work. Looks like a problem of Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd but see above: I have the same issue with Firefox.

It is some setting for how browser printing is processed because like I said if I reprint it from within Acrobat it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the issue with Firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK but I do! Do you have this issue with Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the issue with Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh interesting and thanks Bernd. Just to confirm you get this blue blotchy shape when you try to copy/edit text from a printing job in Chrome? I want to confirm you have the exact same problem as me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no issue with printing from chrome. It opens fine in Acrobat when done so. I am unable to download Firefox at this time, so can't test it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thanks. Perhaps we can keep the comments germane to my querstion. I am still waitinig to see if somoeone can confirm they have the same pritning issue I do (from all browsers) and more importantly if there is a setting which avoids this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to bump but anyone else seeing this problem? I have yet to specifically hear if anyone has the issue with printing from a browser (Bernd may have the issue with Chrome but I am awaiting confirmation).

And again any settings that can be toggled for browser printing would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Robert,

Thanks for reporting.

The issue is not from Adobe's end but instead from Chrome/Firefox's.

The file generated by Chrome (sometimes FireFox as well) when printing to Adobe PDF contains outlines for the text elements and hence in the generated PDF we will have corresponding outlines (vectors) instead of live text and therefore, text can not be selected.

Whereas, the file generated by IE (internet explorer) contains vector outlines instead of actual text and hence in the PDF generated from PS, we see vector outlines instead of text.

As another workaround, customer can use File -> Create PDF from web page from within Acrobat or use IE browser with Adobe PDF Printer.

Regards,
Swapnil Srivastava

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Swapnil I appreciate the details. Understanding the root of the issue is very helpful.

I guess my confusion is that I have not seen others ask about this problem. Is it literally that no tries to copy text from a pdf they print or no one uses acrobat to make a pdf when using Chrome or FF (which I believe is a very large percent of all browsers in use)?

I agree the file create from within acrobat is a good workaround but it will not work on pages like email that require a log-in or pages with dynamic content.

PS For anyone else tracking this thread, my work around solution (print from the browser and then reprint from the pdf within acrobat) is not a good one. If you copy and paste text from the example I posted (https://gofile.io/?c=MhGJSW) you will see that it is not ascii characters but a bunch of gibberish. While you can copy a line, as Swapnil points out all you get are vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As an alternative to this option one may do CTRL-P (Print) and choose Save as PDF instead of all other PDF-printer options available. Seemseventually the easiest solution after spending a lot of time with our ICT Helpdesk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RobertSlappy I happened to be searching this issue and came across your post. My fix is to select "Save as PDF" rather than print as "Adobe PDF" when the printer dialog box pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This trick worked!  I've had the same problem with Chrome and Edge and kept Internet Explorer because it was the only browser that still printed correctly.

I tried "Save As" instead of "Print" in Chrome and the text came out correctly as searchable/selectable text.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thuink I have this same issue. I have a pdf document created by printing a web page from chome with destination set to Adobe PDF. The resulting PDF looks normal. WHen I try to select text I see blue boxes all over the page contining text but these are not orgabnized in any logical manner. I am not able to select just the text I want. If I do a copy and paste into powerpoint for example, i get gibberish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just tried printing from within the adobe app and that has solved the poblem, not in an elegant manner, but I'll take it and be happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines