• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat form fields with drop down menus disappear after being sent through E-Signature

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an E-Signature PDF form in InDesign with two fields for selecting items from drop down menus. The drop downs work in the exported PDF but after I send the form to be signed the drop downs are gone. Here is the link for the PDF before E-Signature so you can see the working drop down menus: https://healy1.com/_acrobat/E-Sign_TestForm.pdf

TOPICS
Create PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does you use Acrobat Sign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you send the form to be signed?  What is the exact process?

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After exporting from InDesign the PDF form opened in Acrobat. I clicked on the Request E-signatures button shown below

DavidHealy_0-1670352947357.png

I then added the email address of the recipient, being me at a different email address.

Clicked on Specify where to sign. The signature field had an asterik so hit Send. 

When the email arrive I clicked Review and Sign

When the PDF opened I clicked Continue at the bottom. I then click on the signature field and signed on the line:

DavidHealy_1-1670354015943.png

I then clicked Apply and it applied the signature to the form but the drop down menus for District and County are gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are using the Adobe Sign Process. When you click the "Request E-signatures" button, Acrobat converts your regular form to an Adobe Sign form.  Which means all the form fields have to be converted to Adobe Sign Fields. You're form does not contain dropdowns. It has list fields, which are not compatible with Sign forms. Convert these to dropdowns and they'll be preserved in the conversion. 

Just for developing the form, do this process from the "Prepare Form" tools.  Select "Prepare Form for E-Signing" from the "More" tools menu.  This explicit conversion will give you better information about what's happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! When you say, “Convert these to dropdowns...” do you mean, “Combo Box”?:

DavidHealy_0-1670358029256.png

Or should I just create the drop downs in Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, convert to a "Combobox".  This is the same as a dropdown. 

You could also do this in Acrobat, but it's generally better to have a consistent workflow, so if the fields are being created in InDesign, and there is the option to use a combobox, then I think it's best done there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having this same issue; however, I do not have the option to change to a "combobox." Has this since updated to not allow drop-down when preparing for an E-signature? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines