• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat is soon to be national security risk.

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ending support for 32-bit is a National security risk. Adobe SMH

Okay
TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

This must be the reference: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-reader-32-bit-os.html

I'm using MacOS which dropped support for all 32 bit apps in 2019 begining with MacOS 10.15

Adobe Acrobat is dropping security and product updates for 32 bit, but they drop update support for all of their software products, 32 and 64, more than two versions behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does you assume this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Common sense, 35 years of watching government leak, fail, outsource, fall behind, and too divisive to recognize the change. Government will be forced into adopting (what? which country?) software in a rush. Government is in a state of attrition. It doesn't take much to fail. 

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I never thought of that. I'm sure you know best, but since I live in a different country to you, it doesn't bother me very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a statement. Not a question. I mean what I write, not what other's think.

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very interesting. Where can we find out more about this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, in your opinion, makes 64 bit more insecure than 32 bit?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The statement was about Adobe helping with incompetence by discontinuing support 32-bit pdf. It’s very disconcerting that a major software company (Adobe) can just discontinue support for billions of relevant legal documents. Adobe routinely has done this for decades. PDF, the portable document format. Adobe made a substantial standard and is now abandoning that format. That’s wrong. People that read PDFs don’t know how to make them or troubleshoot PDFs. Whenever leadership is abandoned a more insidious leader arises. Happens every time. Cause and effect.

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files have nothing to do with 32bit or 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with  @Bernd Alheit.

32 and 64-bit refer to the operating systems that Acrobat and other brands of PDF-reading/writing software run on. Adobe is no longer the only creator of that type of software.

Nothing to do with the PDF file format itself, which since 2008 has been an open-source file format defined by ISO standard 32000. See https://www.iso.org/standard/51502.html  and https://www.iso.org/standard/75839.html

Adobe does not control the PDF file format, although they are on the international ISO committee that maintains the standard.

Not sure I understand your issue. What makes a 64-bit OS less secure than a 32-bit OS, in your opinion? And why would this affect legacy PDFs made with 32-bit software?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe abandoned support for 32-bit. 
Support is the keyword. I can imagine subcontractor not skilled in e-commerce at all compromising information because one doesn't have support. 

Okay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This must be the reference: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-of-support-acrobat-reader-32-bit-os.html

I'm using MacOS which dropped support for all 32 bit apps in 2019 begining with MacOS 10.15

Adobe Acrobat is dropping security and product updates for 32 bit, but they drop update support for all of their software products, 32 and 64, more than two versions behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines