• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat not allowing me to create a new TOC tag or rename existing tags to TOC

Participant ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat has been acting up, not allowing me to create new TOC tags or rename existing tags to TOC, which is detrimental to my job (and accessibility).  I installed and reinstalled Acrobat and that did not help.

I searched for ways to reset Acrobat preferences and it seems that the instructions listed in this thread do not apply to me. (The steps listed in this thread to reset the preferences for Acrobat on a mac do not work for me. Not all of the files listed are available to me to move/delete. The file path is not the same either. I have to access preferences this way: Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences as there are no Library or Preferences folders under my User > [Username].)

Suggestions?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you make changes to other tags in the tag tree, other than TOC?

Can you insert a new tag from the Tag Panel's options menu?

Is the PDF file locked?

And last, what version of Mac OS are you on? Is that on a new M1 processor chip?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bev!

I cannot create a new TOC tag or change an existing tag to a TOC. I can create other kinds of new tags and change other tags in the tree to other tags.

The PDF file is not locked. I have access to the native InDesign file, but did not have time to rebuild the original TOC within ID properly as it's very complex and I was hired for a serious rush job to remediate a 110-page annual report-like document (starting with major work in ID). I figured it was easier to leave to the TOC for last and to remediate directly in Acrobat, which back-fired, as Acrobat was and still, is not working properly.

I am running Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1. I have the latest Acrobat DC installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bev. Wondering if you have any insights for me? I did reset Acrobat and it didn't solve the TOC tag issue. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost never quicker to fix anything in Acrobat, if you have the original document, made in an app capable of doing the joh.  By the way, in the reset instructions, are you sure you're looking in the invisisble ~/Library folder rather than the visible but useless /Library folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would totally be quicker to tag this particular TOC in Acrobat than to redesign it in ID.

And, yes, I am accessing the invisible Library available to me by opening Macintosh HD and pressing Command + Shift + . (period) to make the hidden files appear. But, I run into the file path issue as I outlined in my original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a reboot, I am able to access the proper paths. However, the reset did not fix the TOC tagging issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I still have not found any answers as to why Acrobat will not let me create new TOC tags or rename existing tags to TOC. I reinstalled Acrobat and reset my preferences to default. No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines