Acrobat Pro 2017 scans then shuts down

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reloaded Acrobat Pro 2017 on a new PC due to crash.  Now when I do a scan it just shuts down at the end of the scan.  Anyone have a fix?  I use this version because I can't afford the monthly fee.    

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @whanenburg,

Hope you are doing well. I am sorry for the trouble.

You may refer to the link to check for the possible steps: Resolve Acrobat DC intermittent crashes on Windows (adobe.com)

Also, would you mind sharing a screen recording of the event to better understand? A few pieces of information would help too:

1. The Operating system and its version;

2. Does it crash only after a scan or other events?

I would also like to inform you that Acrobat Pro 2017 is now an End-of-Life application, and the steps may or may not work as intended. You may learn more from End of support for Adobe Acrobat 2017 Classic and Acrobat Reader 2017 Classic.

Hope this helps.

-Souvik.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Whanenburg,

Look, I'm a Mac user so I have no idea how to fix what's going on with your system.

However, I'm sure you are aware that Acrobat, by itself, cannot scan. What it's doing is using a piece of software called TWAIN to link to your scanning software. If Acrobat is giving you problems with your current approach, you may wish to just bypass that whole issue and just use the scanning software that came with the scanner.

As a Mac user, I've been doing this forever because on the Mac, I have to use Apple's "Image Capture," a dreadful piece of scanning software. I use SilverFast, a top-notch scanning software, but anything you use is better than having the application quit on you.

However, a tip: scan to save as TIF. The files will be fairly large but then you can drag them onto the Acrobat icon, and they will automatically be converted into PDFs and will also be converted into searchable documents. If you save as a PNG or JPG, you have to tell Acrobat to do the OCR process. On my system, an 8-bit full-page TIF is about 8 MB, but the pdf after OCRing is about 100-180 kb, depending on the amount of text on the page.

On the other hand, if your scanning software quits during scanning, then you need to update your drivers. If so, then you might be able to go back to Acrobat for scanning.

Good luck!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines