• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro 2020 classic for Mac slow in converting and combining TIFF images to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I convert about fifty pages a day from TIFF format to PDF to OCR it and achieve it. Content is mainly newspapers but can also be magazines.
Since a few days, I use Acrobat Pro 2020 Mac instead of Acrobat Pro 2017 Mac.
To be precise, 2020 Release, version 2020.004.30005 on x86_64 architecture.

What surprises me is that the 2020 Acrobat Pro edition is much slower at converting and combining the same TIFF images to PDF than Acrobat Pro 2017. The extra time to convert a batch of forty something pages is not seconds but minutes on my Mac with SSD disk and 8GB of memory.

I am still using Acrobat on MacOS High Sierra on a MacBook Pro with i7 CPU. The software configuration on my Mac did not change other than Adobe Acrobat that is upgraded to a newer version.

I altered the TIFF to PDF conversion settings in Acrobat Pro to ZIP instead of jpeg to no avail. It still is slow.

- Are others also suffering form this issue?
- Does anyone know this is a known Acrobat Pro 2020 related issue?

- Do I have to contact Adobe directly regarding this issue?

Thank you for reading my post.

Johan

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Please try to reboot the computer once and see if that helps.

Also, please try to reset the Acrobat preferences to default as described in the help page - https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792...

If it still doesn't work please try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

Sorry for my very late response. I follow school holidays and the school was closed the past weeks... I tried what you suggested to reset preferences to default factory. My Mac Pro 2010 is installed just a two months ago and installed from scratch.

I did some research and was preparing a bug report. I did the tests and wrote the bug report after I did reset my preferences as you recommended.

Please allow me to add it here.

# Title bug report

Acrobat Pro Mac 2017 classic: Combined pages got mixed up (sometimes); Bug? - Acrobat Pro 2020 Mac is dead slow.

## Body

We use Acrobat Pro 2017 Classic on MacOS High Sierra. Before the school holidays, we bought a license for Acrobat Pro 2020 Classic that is installed on the same machine.

We mainly use Acrobat to OCR screenshots and combine them into one PDF. Such a PDF contains between 40 and 200 OCRed pages. Sometimes we use TIFF, sometimes we use PNG as source images that need to be "PDFed".

The workflow is this:
1- Combine source images into one PDF in Acrobat Pro
2- Crop borders of each page in Acrobat
3- Export each page to a directory as a separate pdf file (1)
4- Close (and discard) combined PDF
5- Batch OCR each PDF file in source folder and save the OCRed pdf page in another directory
6- Combine OCRed PDF into one PDF
7- Safe PDF

(1) We do this because we discovered that the OCRed results are better when we ask Acrobat to OCR page by page instead of per multi-page document. Next to this Acrobat has a limit of OCRing 500 pages.

Now that we have Acrobat Pro 2020, we noticed that Acrobat Pro 2017 sometimes mixes up page order. Source images normally have a number like IMG_0626.PNG, IMG_0627.PNG, IMG_0628.PNG, etc.

## The error in Acrobat 2017
This mixup error happens in workflow step 1 when source pages are combined into one PDF in Acrobat Pro. It doesn't matter if we import PNG of TIFF files. The error remains.
In the test set of 46 pages, pages 24 and 25 are swapped.

Q: Are the sources pages correctly sorted (so page 24 and page 25 are not swapped)?
A: yes. Page 24 and 25 are NOT swapped in the source directory. They are sorted as expected.

Q: Will the same error happen when I replace the file names of the PNG of TIFF files by a sequence number nnn so we get 001.PNG, 002.PNG, 003.PNG?
A: yes

Q: Will the same error occur when I turn toggle bookmark creation when combining?
A: yes

Q: When you combine the OCRed pages back into one PDF, does the mix up happens there also?
A: no

## Acrobat 2020 is dead slow combining a pdf (compared to Acrobat 2017). Is it caused by a bug?
Importing a 85MB PNG file takes 3 to 4 seconds per page in Acrobat 2017. In Acrobat 2020 it takes 10 to 11 seconds.
Importing that same source file of about 100MB in (uncompressed) TIFF takes 3 to 4 seconds In Acrobat 2017. In Acrobat 2020 it takes 14 to 16 seconds.
Combing PDF files goes fast in both Acrobat Pro releases.
In both cases Acrobat Pro is installed on the same Mac Pro 2010 running High Sierra on a 1TB SSD disk with plenty (+/- 30%) of free storage. I did reset my Adobe preferences as suggested in the Adobe Acrobat forum.

I really hope that a bug is causing Acrobat Pro 2020 Classic for taking its time to combine source images to a PDF.

## OCRing
What seem to go faster is OCRing in Acrobat 2020 compared to Acrobat 2017 when OCRing to editable text and images. OCRing the same set in Acrobat 2017 takes about 32 to 52 seconds. In Acrobat 2020 it takes about 11 to 20 seconds. To be OCRed text language is Dutch.

## Rare crash of Acrobat Pro when OCRing
Another error that result in a crash of Acrobat Pro is that it fails to OCR a page. It simply crashes. My source pages have a border that I crop away before OCRing. In most cases when I keep the border at a page Acrobat Pro crashes, Acrobat Pro is -- in most cases -- able to OCR the page.

This is a rare crash. I did not yet come to a page so I can test it in both Acrobat Pro 2017 and 2020 to see if this is a bug related to one or both versions of Acrobat Pro.

I am happy to provide the support team the test set that I used (compressed to a 173MB ZIP file). Unfortunately it contains copyrighted material so I can't attach it just to this ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry for the delay in response.  Please share the sample TIFF file and the converted PDF files so that we can check it at our end. Also please share the screen recording of the issue for a better understanding.

https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amal,

I'll try to deliver what you ask me to do next week.

Johan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines