Exit

Acrobat (Pro), Android: Creating a form

Engaged ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

is this possible with Adobe PDF Reader on a phone (iOS, Android): 

to create a PDF form which a person can fill out and save it for sending the file to another person who is not allowed to edit the PDF/form, only with read and print permissions?

Edit: and with the option to fill in the form – before saving/printing ; )

Thanks!

mycc

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't create forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create the form in Pro 🙂 for a person who want to use this form probably with its smartphone and a pdf reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the form with Adobe Acrobat on Windows or Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... and the further steps are possible?`That's the main aspect of my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,with  Acrobat Reader you can fill the form fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but probably it will be not possible for this user to save it in Reader AND protect that another person who receives this PDF can't change it, right?

Thanks again and a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be not possible with Acrobat Reader on Android or iOS.

May be possible when you use Adobe Sign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the reference and sadly, the readonly field property is not supported for mobile Reader.  

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Mobile/iosapi/classes/Field.html

So no, this can't be one on Android 😞

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just created a simple example form  (only with one text field) with Acrobat Pro on Windows. I still not have the Adobe Reader app installed on my Android phone. So far I have  therefore tried it with my simple PDF viewer (which can not fill in PDF forms as I had to realize), then with MS Office app. I can type / insert text and save the PDF again – but the last step is missing: make this PDF write protected.

And this last step isn't possible with the Adobe Reader app? – But I will try it later, too.

Thanks you so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The vast majority of PDF viewers for mobile devices are complete crap. Most do not recognize form fields, even the ones that are specifically for form filling. You are wasting your time if you are using any PDF viewer besides the Adobe Mobile Reader.  I know that sounds harsh, but it's true. Mobile 3rd party PDF viewers are ruining the PDF ecosystem. They are like some horrible invasive spieces. I blame Adobe and the PDF Association. They should have been ahead of this, but instead the mostly ignored mobile, while it's the way most of the world operates. They need to create a standardized PDF engine for mobile that is free to everyone, in the same way that the JS engine if free. It keeps everyone on the same page and creates confidence in the users.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow you described, settting fields to Read Only before sending, could be problematic for the mobile Acrobat Reader, because it requires the use of scripts that may not be supported.  Another option for handling PDFs on IOS is PDF Expert from Readdle.  I would suggest testing on both Acrobat Mobile Reader an PDF Expert. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines