Acrobat Pro DC hangs for ~10 seconds upon opening PDF [2017]

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MACHINES:
(1) Desktop, i5-6600k, 256GB SSD, 16gb RAM -- Windows 10

(2) Laptop, i7-5500U, 256GB SSD -- Windows 10

I have been using Acrobat Pro DC since it first came out with no such problems.  The problem started about a week ago, and it is happening both on my desktop and my laptop.  When I click to open a PDF from my hard drive, Acrobat Pro's CPU usage jumps to 100%, and the machine hangs for about 10 seconds.  This problem is also happening on my laptop.

Obviously, my hardware is not the issue.  This never happened with Acrobat until about a week ago.  I just tested opening 15+ consecutive PDF files in Chrome, Edge, and SumatraPDF and they all open instantly, like Acrobat used to.  As part of my job, I am constantly opening and closing PDFs, so adding 10 seconds 100 times per day is completely unacceptable.

I have tried all the online solutions regarding security preferences, making sure my "general" preferences are configured a certain way, and I have tried using the Acrobat Cleaner to completely uninstall and reinstall Acrobat Pro DC.  The only thing that seemed to help was the complete uninstall and reinstall.  Once I did that, I tested Acrobat by opening 15+ consecutive PDF files as fast as I could click and IT WORKED!! I thought I found the solution.  But literally one hour later, the bug is back. Except now, it does NOT hang on the FIRST document opened.  It hangs on all subsequent PDFs, regardless of the time interval between opening, as long as there is already a PDF open in Acrobat.

PLEASE HELP!!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

In case anyone else runs into this problem:

I did fix the problem, but the only solution was to completely reinstall Windows 10.  I recommend doing the "Windows Reset" option where you keep your personal files, so it is not TOO much of a hassle.  It took about 20-25 minutes for the reset, and then another 1.5 hours to reinstall the many programs that I use.  Compared to the time I spent troubleshooting this issue, I recommend anyone else experiencing this problem to just go straight to the reinst

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no reply? Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

I installed Acrobat Reader DC (the free version) and made it my default PDF application. The above-described bug is NOT present with the free reader app.  PDFs all open just like they are supposed to.   However, the minute I switch back to Acrobat PRO DC (the paid version), the bug reappears.

I have used the Adobe Cleaner Utility again and again.  I am able to replicate the same behavior every time: uninstall, restart, reinstall --> pdf's open normally for a few minutes, but then the bug returns.

I went through almost every step of Adobe's troubleshooting guide and none of those steps fixed my pc (I skipped the reinstall windows, for obvious reasons).

I can't believe that I am getting zero responses from Adobe on this issue.  I have been a paying subscriber ever since DC was first released.  For the first time, I'm looking elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone else runs into this problem:

I did fix the problem, but the only solution was to completely reinstall Windows 10.  I recommend doing the "Windows Reset" option where you keep your personal files, so it is not TOO much of a hassle.  It took about 20-25 minutes for the reset, and then another 1.5 hours to reinstall the many programs that I use.  Compared to the time I spent troubleshooting this issue, I recommend anyone else experiencing this problem to just go straight to the reinstall and save yourself the time and hassle of trying every other recommendation on the internet.  Nothing else works, but reinstalling Windows 10 did.  Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not a solution, adobe is bloated with extra stuff that is not needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling Windows just to work around a bug in Acrobat DC? I am amzed... That is not a solution. Reinstalling windiws would take days fro me to get it back in the shape I want it. Even the 25 minutes it takes repairing Acrobat DC is way to much of Adobe to ask of the users!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The same thing is happening on Mac computers (macbook pro with M2 chip).  It was not happening with my older Macbook, but I bought a new one 2 weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines