Acrobat Pro DC installer removing Reader DC

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several uers that require both Acrobat Pro DC for editing documents and Reader DC for viewing documents. Reader is required by antoher application that launches it by looking for AcroRd32.exe.

This seems to be a recent problem, but running the installer for Acrobat Pro DC removes an already existing install of Reader DC. Trying to run the installtion for Reader DC afterwards (to re-isntall it) fails every time.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution? I wonder if there is an installation option for Acrobat Pro DC that will prevent it from uninstallting Reader DC.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

The 64-bit application is a unified application for Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC. If you have installed Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit and you purchase an Acrobat DC subscription, the Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit application will upgrade to become a fully functional Acrobat DC 64-bit application.

For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/about-acrobat-reader-dc-migration-to-64-bit.html

Regards

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

The 64-bit application is a unified application for Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC. If you have installed Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit and you purchase an Acrobat DC subscription, the Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit application will upgrade to become a fully functional Acrobat DC 64-bit application.

For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/about-acrobat-reader-dc-migration-to-64-bit.html

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not receive an option to install the 32-bit version of Acrobat Pro DC. The Adobe Creative Cloud application just selected what it wanted, I guess. If I can find a way to install it, can both 32-bit Acrobat Pro DC and 32-bit Reader DC exist together?

I'm not concerned about or interested in a unified application. I have a 3rd party application that is hard coded to look for the 32-bit version of Reader DC in the default installation path on a Windows system. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to install both anyhow? We set the default PDF view as Reader with protected mode on and decreased trust but leave some of those settings in Pro. After upgrading, our users' Acrobat Reader was uninstalled and the security settings reverted to a more permissive setting like we had with Pro. I found I can install the 32-bit version, but then it doesn't work right with 64-bit Office. Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

There isn't much that we can do. Please check out the help page shared above and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior is so boring. It definitely should be possible to have installed BOTH.

There are many reasons for it

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dang, this stinks! Just spent 2 hours with IT trying to figure out what's wrong, just to learn Adobe is silently removing this function. 

I get why Adobe wants to unify them by default, but there should be an option to override it so they're treated as two totally separate applications just like in 32-bit.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines