• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro X combine context menu is present, it's just blank.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right-click context menu to combine files was available two days ago at the latest.  When I tried to use it today, the placeholder is there, but there is no text.  The entry still functions as intended, it's just annoying.  See the pic.

Any thoughts? <edit> I've done an uninstall/reinstall, manually registered the .dll, and done inverted jumping jacks, all to no avail.

Wherediditgo.png

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Hi,

I have/had this issue too, so I thought I'd share my experience with it.

In my case, it seemed to be related to the Google Drive client for Windows. The issue showed up after I installed it and would go away if I uninstalled it. However, with Google Drive installed, the issue wasn't always present.

So I've still got Google Drive installed and seemed to have rid myself of the problem. Well, it's been fine for a about a week so far since I took the following steps below.

• I used CCleaner to view t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 03, 2013 Apr 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same behavior on a Windows 7 64bit Dell machine and had tried all the suggestions posted here with no results.  Oddly enough the entries are back in my context menu today!??!?!?

I don't recall any notification that there was an update available...  anyone check theirs again?

running Acrobat Pro 9.5.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mine is back too! Yea!

That is odd. No updates to my knowledge. Still shows as Acrobat X version 10.1.6. Also no Windows updates occured last night according to my logs.

Weird, but I'm glad it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me. I'm still having the same problem. I wonder what changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the issue here.. maybe a reboot is required? this is very strange that this issue is coming and going like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the suggested methods with regards to registery and permissions and all that, but the problem is still there and its so annoying. I also tried uninstall/reinstall, repair and everything you can imagine, it only happens on my win7 enterprise at work, my home computer, win 7 pro. is fine, same version, same update and everything, but nothing goes wrong at home, its just the work one that I need the most. any idea? btw, I have checked for win updates, nothing has happened recently except for adobe update in feb.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it's annoying, but you can still use the combining feature. It's just that the right-click menu shows a blank instead of "Combine supported files in Acrobat. If you click the blank spot (where the text should be) it still will perform the command just like it always has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is not back. Is someone from ADOBE reading these forums? It's amazing that nobody there took a moment to at least answer since so many people have this problem.

This is a bug that has been going on for year, Google is full of it, back to 2009!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2013 Apr 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The disappearing content menu I think is the bug to which you are referring but this is a different beast. Closely related though however the fixes for the disappearing context menu do not solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is back too after a reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well mine is gone again. It was back for a few days, but was blank when I tried it this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2013 Apr 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still blank here. Even after reboots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm inthe same boat. Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Acrobat X (10.1.6)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using Adobe's online chat help, but they said they can't provide support because Acrobat X is not the latest version. When I asked how to get support for this issue the tech directed me to their forums (even though I had already provided him with a link to this thread) After that point nothing I typed would go through, so apparently their chat system has as many bugs as Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had this problem, the following link solved it for me (though with 9.0 and not 64bit)
http://acrobatninja.blogspot.com/2011/03/missing-convert-to-adobe-pdf-context.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that solution in mentionned all over this discussion. For a lot of us it simply doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look here and check the permissions on the mentioned registry entry:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1026276?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I had read this post and tried it; it did not work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2013 Apr 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok guys. Here's the story. I too have tried all the previously suggested ideas with no luck. (including this one with the changing permissions in the registry.)

However, I must have not followed the instructions EXACTLY the last time I tried it, and figured I'll give it one more shot. And it WORKED!! Make sure to change the permissions for BOTH paths/keys (whatever its called) listed in the instuctions. 

This hopefully seems to finally have fixed it for me... nothing else was done other than this...no updates or programs were installed/uninstalled.

The instructions are not hard at all, and most of you sound like you know your way around the registry, but for those who don't... just be careful. Messing up your registry can cause more issues than just a "blank Acrobat context menu".

One other thing I did after changing the registry permissions was to right click on My Computer> Manage> Local Users and Groups>Users> RIGHT CLICK on your user>Properties> click the "Member of" tab and I removed it from all groups and then added it again just to the "Administrators" group.

Everything started working after I made these changes. I'm sorry if my instructions were a bit unclear, but I'm sure someone can explain it better if anyone is having trouble following them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah those instructions are pretty bad.. can you at least provide a step by step as to what you did from the beginning?

thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... just reading it over now and you're right. They are horrible.

Sorry!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to write up the long version right now (I've got two huge exams tomorrow), but I was hoping you could figure out what I was talking about based upon the comment I was replying to.

Anyway, try starting off by following the instructions to change the registry permissions that are at http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/error-1402-error-1406-acrobat.html#main_Vista_and_Win_7 (link is for Windows 7/Vista, but just scroll down if you need XP instructions).

The instructions on there are not the clearest (which is why I didn't do it right the first time around), but if you follow them carefully, you should be ok.

I don't have the time to write up the second part now either, but can you first try changing the registry permissions and then we'll go from there?

Can someone try this and let me know if it helped you too? If so, can you possibly write up a step-by-step explaining it clearer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awsome, Worked like a charm, Thank you so much, you are a life saver , I cant thank you enough , a big Kudo

Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold your horses for one more second...

Did you try rebooting your computer and checking to see if the issue remains fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you were right, it came back , but I figured that if I remove google drive it fixes it. I happend to know it by accident, cuz I didnt have this issue at home and once I installed google drive app, it reproduced the problem, went back to my office next day, uninstall the google drive app, repeated the solution offered above, it fixed it permanently, even now after couple of weeks still working fine.

sorry for my horses though, lol

hope it helps

cheers

Ali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution doesn't work !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2013 Apr 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it may not be the recommended way, but it's the way that worked for me.  DISCLAIMER:  THIS IS WHAT FIXED IT FOR ME on a Win7-64 system with Acrobat X (10.1.6).  Your results my vary, including, but not limited to: broken windows, broken acrobats, & meteor strikes.

First of all, if you don't feel comfortable futzing with your registry, DO NOT attempt.

1. Use REGEDT32 and navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pdf\]

2. EXPORT this key and save it somewhere safe (you know, just in case)

3. DELETE [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.pdf\ShellEx]

4. Exit REGEDT32

The change should be immediate, and from approximately 60 reboots, it appears to remain persistant.  Total function seems to be restored.

Please mark this answer as helpful if it worked for you.  If this fix does not work for you, you can easily restore the key that you deleted by opening up the saved *.reg from your earlier export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines