• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Reader adds file extension

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Reader (version 2022.001.20169) with a M1 Macbook.

Reader adds .pdf extension to every filename despite having turned off this option in Finder (I have unchecked the "Show all filename extensions" option in Finder).  

I have tried to turn on and turn off the Reader option in Preferences > Documents "Always use filename as title".  This also makes no difference as the .pdf extension is added automatically when creating a new pdf file, or editing an existing one.  

Any suggestions? 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you enter the file name into the Save As dialog, don't add ".pdf" to it. It's added automatically.
If you do add it, the file will be saved as "X.pdf.pdf", which is probably why you're seeing it in Finder, even though the extension is hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your response.  However, this does not seem to work.  Here is what I do:

1.  I download a fillable form from a site and make sure that its name does not have an extension.

2.  I open with with Reader and fill in the blanks.  I save it as "form" and not "form.pdf"

3.  In Finder, the file name is "form.pdf" (no double .pdf)

This is also true when I open a previously saved pdf file and worked on with Reader.  More specifically:

1.  I save the file with Reader and it automaticlaly adds the extension.  

2.  I then rename it in Finder without the extension.  

3.  I reopen the file with Reader, make changes and save again.

4.  In Finder, the pdf extension is added to the filename again.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines