• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Standard DC "Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition serves."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my version of Acrobat Standard DC to continuous release version (which currently shows version 2020.006.20034 is installed).  While it updated without incident, I am no longer able to run text recognition on any document, getting the error "Acrobat could not access the recognition service because: Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service.  Your installation may be corrupt."

I have tried the workaround located here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-could-access-recognition-service.html).  I have tried a repair installation.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have tried uninstalling, running the Acrobat cleaner tool (every version, starting with the DC version and working backwards) and then reinstalling.  I have tried all of these steps several times, using every variation that I have found in this forum or online, but nothing fixes the problem.

Under Help>About Adobe Plug-ins, it shows that PaperCapture version 20.6.20034.366983 is loaded and certified.

I am out of ideas.  Does anyone else know how to fix this?  I only have it for it's OCR abilities, this is killing me.

Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

I finally got the problem solved.  While I was waiting for feedback on how our software licenses worked with VMs, I decided to try on more route. I'm sure this wasn't the most efficient route to the solution and a lot of the step probably were not even necessary, but I wanted to post it in case it could benefit someone else searching for the same solution.

First, I started out by searching my hard drive for some of the files that were in the PaperCapture folder (under plugins). It found almost al

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mcbrock,

We are sorry for the trouble. As you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and still the issue remains unresolved. 

A new version of the Acrobat / Reader DC got released today version 20.006.20042. Please update the application to the new version available. Go to Help > Check for Updates. Also, check for any missing updates for printer/scanner drivers and firmware and see if that helps.

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012) and try using the application there and check.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Acrobat Standard DC seems to have updated to version 20.006.20042 automatically, but the same error persists.  The PaperCapture plugin still shows version 20.6.20034.36698 however -- just an observation -- I assume the plugin version was supposed to stay the same.  It does not find any more updates when I manually tell it to search for them.  I tried having it do a repair installation again as well, which completes successfully, but the same OCR error remains.

I did find a couple of old printers still installed and had Windows remove them and their underlying files, but that made no difference.  There don't appear to be any driver errors with the other printers, and nothing has changed since Acrobot OCR last worked correctly.

My current account has Admin rights to my machine, but that took a lot of effort to get and it is unlikely that I'd ever be able to get a second "test account" with the same.  Most of my IT department is in self-quarantine due to one of them testing positive for Coronavirus, so it is likely that I won't have any of their assistance for a couple of weeks at least.

Do you know if it save log files somewhere -- either for the installation or for the OCR process?  That would be helpful.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do these steps:

1. Close all Adobe and Creative Cloud processes in Task Manager

2. Uninstall Adobe Acrobat and Creative cloud.

3. Go to C:\Program Files and delete Adobe Folder if its still there.

4. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files and delete Adobe Folder if its still there.

5. Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete Adobe Folder if its still there.

6. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files and delete Adobe Folder if its still there.

7. Enable hidden files https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4028316/windows-view-hidden-files-and-folders-in-windows-10

8. Go to C:\ProgramData and delete Adobe Folder if its still there.

9. Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData and delete all Adobe folders in Local, LocalLow and Roaming

10. Empty Recycle Bin

11. Reinstall Acrobat and try again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had high hopes for your solutions since I hadn't (and probably never would have) thought of deleting Adobe folders in that many locations, but even after all that, I get the exact same error message.

In searching for solutions, basically the same issue seems to exist through many different versions.  Why can't Adobe fix the installation so this doesn't happen?  It is so frustrating, especially given that it used to work fine on the same machine and nothing else seems to have changed.

I appreciate your suggestion -- I really thought that was going to fix it.  Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, I also hoped it would fix it. Could you please go to Control Panel/Programs and Features and check if any other OCR software is installed? If yes, then uninstall it. 

If not then try this. Use DISM and SFC to fix corrupted dll files in windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Let me know how it goes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No other scanner software is, or ever has been, installed.  I've been using Acrobat for this task since version 7, spanning a few different computers.  I've had my share of issues with it over the years, but none as stubborn as this one.

I ran DISM (which took forever) and SFC.  No errors where found.  All the other software installed runs fine.

Still no luck.  I started searching the registry between my last uninstall/reinstall attempt.  Found some "Acrobat 2015" keys and removed them (after backing them up).  That didn't help, but the next time I might search for references to PaperCapture. I figure that somewhere on the computer, there has to be something pointing to the wrong place for the ini or dll files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update.  I tried uninstalling using Revouninstaller portable in advanced mode.  While it found a bunch of files and registry entries that the standard uninstaller missed, after reinstalling the Creative Cloud and Acrobat Standard DC once again (I've lost count of how many times I have done this now), the issue still remains.  Not a big Adobe fan right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bit complex but since you don't have access to a other profiles, try installing a VM and run the application inside it. See if you get the same error. 

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-set-up-a-virtual-machine-for-free-1828969527

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got the problem solved.  While I was waiting for feedback on how our software licenses worked with VMs, I decided to try on more route. I'm sure this wasn't the most efficient route to the solution and a lot of the step probably were not even necessary, but I wanted to post it in case it could benefit someone else searching for the same solution.

First, I started out by searching my hard drive for some of the files that were in the PaperCapture folder (under plugins). It found almost all of them in C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\68AB67CA3301FFFF7706C0F070E41400.  I deleted the folder and searched the registry for "68AB67CA3301FFFF7706C0F070E41400" and deleted every item that it found. The above search also found outdated copies of idrskrn15.dll, idrsocr15.dll and idrsprepro15.dll in the Windows SysWOW64 and System32 directories.  I overwrote these with the current versions found in the Adobe folder under Program Files.

My intent was to try a repair installation at this point, but I apparently wiped out the files it used, so it failed.  The standard uninstall also failed, so I turned again to RevoUninstaller Portable (free) once again in advanced mode.  After that was done, I reinstalled Acrobat DC once again (to save time, I skipped reinstalling Creative Cloud this time).  It finished, but OCR was still failing, so I tried using MS Process Monitor to watch Adobe.exe while I was trying to run OCR and noticed a "NAME NOT FOUND" error for C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\idrskrn.dll.  I copied the 9 "idrs" dll files from the Paper Capture plugin folder to that folder (just like I'd done a couple dozen times before), tried again, and it FINALLY ran text recognition correctly.

Like I said, I'm not sure what combination of the above made copying the dll files over finally work, but hopefully someone smarter than I can figure it out. Now I just have to cross my fingers that Adobe's next update doesn't break it again.

Props and thanks to ProlificUser whose advice got me on the right path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was some outstanding research work. I will make sure to refer to this post in case someone else has this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was some outstanding research work. I will make sure to refer to this post if someone else has this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are glad to hear that the issue got fixed.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal:

Since many people are paying for the service why is there not an update to correct the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfekte Lösung innerhalb von 2 Minuten:   ALLE " dll - Dateien" aus Ordner " iDRs15l" kopieren und in den "plug ins" Ordner des selben Pfades, wieder einfügen: ( Programme(86)>Adobe>Acrobat DC>Acrobat>plug ins>Paper capture>iDRs15) ----------------- Habe zuvor nach Vorgabe des  tel. Adobe Supports, 3 Tage lang deinstalliert und installiert. Angeblich wäre  windows defekt.  Der schlechteste Support ever !  Die o.g. Lösung habe ich dann selbst über google aus 2018 gefunden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In meiner  o.g. Antwort wird der Ordner:    " p aper  caputre"    falsch übersetzt als ( Papiererfassung) !

Bitte beachten !

Textwiederholung:

Perfekte Lösung innerhalb von 2 Minuten:   ALLE " dll - Dateien" aus Ordner " iDRs15l" kopieren und in den "plug ins" Ordner des selben Pfades, wieder einfügen: ( Programme(86) > Adobe > Acrobat DC > Acrobat > plug ins > p aper capture > iDRs15) ----------------- Habe zuvor nach Vorgabe des  tel. Adobe Supports, 3 Tage lang deinstalliert und installiert. Angeblich wäre  windows defekt.  Der schlechteste Support ever !  Die o.g. Lösung habe ich dann selbst über google aus 2018 gefunden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! I had this same problem and just fixed it. All I did was open this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\iDRS15 and copied all the "idrs" dll files to this folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat and it works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent answer, this worked perfectly.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU. I am not a computer dude, so I was much too scared to try most of these solutions.

Yours, however, worked perfectly. You're my hero, and I owe ya one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well! Thanks spruett for the clear and concise resolution! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2022 Jun 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Copying the dlls worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. HP software inluded I.R.I.S. OCR. I uninstalled it and was able to proceed without the error. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines