• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Standard DC "Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition serves."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my version of Acrobat Standard DC to continuous release version (which currently shows version 2020.006.20034 is installed).  While it updated without incident, I am no longer able to run text recognition on any document, getting the error "Acrobat could not access the recognition service because: Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service.  Your installation may be corrupt."

I have tried the workaround located here (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-could-access-recognition-service.html).  I have tried a repair installation.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and I have tried uninstalling, running the Acrobat cleaner tool (every version, starting with the DC version and working backwards) and then reinstalling.  I have tried all of these steps several times, using every variation that I have found in this forum or online, but nothing fixes the problem.

Under Help>About Adobe Plug-ins, it shows that PaperCapture version 20.6.20034.366983 is loaded and certified.

I am out of ideas.  Does anyone else know how to fix this?  I only have it for it's OCR abilities, this is killing me.

Thanks.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

I finally got the problem solved.  While I was waiting for feedback on how our software licenses worked with VMs, I decided to try on more route. I'm sure this wasn't the most efficient route to the solution and a lot of the step probably were not even necessary, but I wanted to post it in case it could benefit someone else searching for the same solution.

First, I started out by searching my hard drive for some of the files that were in the PaperCapture folder (under plugins). It found almost al

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

we are sorry to hear that.  As the issue still persists even after updating the application to the new version.

Please try the troubleshooting steps provided in the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-could-access-recognition-service.html

If it still doesn't work, please create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012) and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue with adobe acrobat pro dc on windows. Any advice on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

As I mentioned in my first post, I've tried the steps in the knowledge base article many times, and continue to try it ever each reinstall that fails to fix the problem.  That seems to be Adobe's answer for this issue going back a few versions, so the advice is easy to find.

Rather than just publishing "workarounds" for the problem, I wish Adobe would just fix it (that is one of the purposes of a "continuous release" after all.  That way, repair installations would serve there purpose and fix the problem.  The value of the time spent trying to correct this issue dwarfs the cost of the software at this point.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Amal mentioned above, it maybe an User Profile issue. Try creating a test user profile with full administrator rights and then try in that user account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

after experiencing the same error on a fresh install of Acrobat Pro 2017 and reading all the explanations and "Trial and Error" solutions, I digged a little deeper...

My results:

Acrobat is searching the files (idrsasian215.dll, idrskrn15.dll, idrslex15, idrsocr15.dll, idrsprepro15.dll) in the wrong location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\< Adobe product e.g. 'Acrobat 2017'>\Acrobat\plug_ins) and this is presumably a software bug!

It then continues to search for the files like everywhere, one of it, it found in my HP printer directories, but finally Acrobat fails.

There are registry entries for some of the needed&searched for files, pointing to the correct location of the dll files, but they seem to be ignored (Acrobat never looks there).

You can check for yourself using a tool like Process Monitor provided by Microsoft for free. You should set the filter to

"Path begins with C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\< Adobe product e.g. 'Acrobat 2017'>\Acrobat\plug_ins"

and monitor the "File Access" only (the icon with the magnifying glass), otherwise you really get a lot of log entries.

You will find something like this (second entry, first is just for comparison):

11:43:10,0464469	Acrobat.exe	8376	CloseFile	C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\OCRLibraryInf.dll	SUCCESS	
11:43:10,0467578	Acrobat.exe	8376	CreateFile	C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 2017\Acrobat\idrskrn15.dll	NAME NOT FOUND	Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a

After copying all the "not found dll files" from their correct loaction to the "wrong", but used location, your Acrobat will work (at least in my case ;-).
Be aware that the problem is, that Acrobat (if there will ever be an update for the not cloud Acrobat version - they are not so in favor these days), will most likely update the files in the wrong place :-D.
Maybe you can get around by making hardlinks to the files in the original place (yes, Windows can also do this), but most likely this will break the Adobe update process (this "update process", which drove me crazy with my previous Acrobat XI version).

Kind regards

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom's recommendation for setting the path filter in Process Monitor is a great tip, and helps to narrow things down a lot faster.

Unfortunately, he is also correct to beware of updates.  After my previous solution, everything ran great for about two months, then the OCR stopped working and the error reappeared.  Since I hadn't updated or installed any other softwere since the previous fix, I immediately suspected Abobe DC updates.  Sure enough,  the 9 "idrs" dll files from the Paper Capture plugin folder were newer than those I had copied before to the Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat folder.  After copying these once again, OCR began functioning.

Prior to this, I did check for updates and ran a "Repair Installation" in Acrobat with no luck.  While researching the issue, I found that it seems to have existed for at least the past few versions.  Over all these years, I am amazed that Adobe hasn't fixed the core issue -- they have just posted an overly simple "work around" that was insuffient in my case.  I expect better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem after clean install of most recent Acrobat Pro DC  v2020.012.20043 on Windows 10-Pro.  I copied all the irds*.dll files from C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\PaperCapture\iDRS15  into C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\ 

And it just worked.  Thank you SO much.   Adobe should fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked.  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all here for, albeit temporary, solutions to this problem.  You all saved my hieny today. I appreciate you all but have to say pretty sick of having to spend an inordinate amount of time to fix a recurring problem that Adobe can't or won't fix.  Even using Adobe's help/fix requires me to uninstall, reinstall, and move files around (that are re-entered in the wrong place again as soon as there's an update) and repair their damage.  Searching for a new PDF editor that doesn't charge me to continually fix their problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines