Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add tags to long PDF file using ACROBAT READER PRO

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have an issue that i want to share with you.

I have a PDF file with 180 pages and i need to add tags to all the elements in the file. 

The tags tree working very slow and makes it's very hard for me to use the tags options,

I have two questions please:

1. Can I autotag only 10 pages in the document and after that autotag more 10 and so on... (not all the pages one time) 

2. When I tried to choose the option - Find Tag For selection, It's doesn't work for <P> element at all - I tried everyting 😞

If someone can help me to find a solution for this things I WILL Be GRATEFUL! 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sound slike the file might be pretty large in size and is causing Acrobat to utilize a lot of resources. I'd try extracting the first 10 pages into its own file and trying to tag there. If you see an improvement, wheat you could do is break the document into multiple smaller files, tag them, then merge them back together using the Organize Pages tool in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chad, surely you can't tag in pieces and just bring them backtogether. Tags don't seem to merge in the way expected.  Is there a trick I missed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my testing it does work. Using the Organzie Pages tool. Combine PDF command may not work. It's been a while since I've used this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot can become mis-tagged or unusable in the tag tree when separate PDFs are merged.

Lists and tables that cross over pages become separate 2 or more lists or tables, rather than 1.

Same with TOCs.

And hyperlinks within the larger PDF are lost, too.

If you use an assistive technology, you might want to use Abbyy Fine Reader. Designed for those who use assistive technologies, it can autotag some PDFs faster and more accurately than Adobe Acrobat Pro.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohh So I understand that acrobat reader don't have a solution for big files? 

I Will try Abbyy Fine Reader.

Do you have another tools or programs that can help me to tag pdf? I need only to add tags (without edit the pdf or another tools). 

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be worth just mentioning that you cannot add tags with Acrobat Reader, and there is no such product as "Acrobat Reader Pro". The product you are using is, I imagine, Acrobat Pro.

Adobe have no other app for tagging existing PDF, though if it is an option it is almost always better to tag the source document and use a tool to create tagged PDF. InDesign and FrameMaker can make tagged PDF using document structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the replay.

Yes, I'm working with Acrobat pro.

I don't have the source document, I only get the PDF file..

any other ideas?

Thank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need only to add tags (without edit the pdf or another tools). 

By @defaultxr4nl90c2f2q

Yes, but they must be the right tag for the type of text/content, and you must control the reading orders  -- the Tag RO and the Architectural RO, aka "The Order Panel" (as if there's only 1 reading order in a PDF!).

Your options:

• Adobe Acrobat Pro has an Autotag utility that can add tags, but you'll need to edit and clean up the tag tree (which takes time and training).
  • Abbyy Fine Reader has a tagging utility, but you'll also need to edit and clean up the tag tree (which takes time and training).
  • CommonLook PDF from CommonLook https://commonlook.com/, has a tagging utility, but you'll also need to edit and clean up the tag tree.

As you can see, any of these tools requires training and $$ for software.

There is no magic wand in accessible PDF, especially a free magic wand. None whatsoever.

And get some training in how to make accessible PDFs. It is not intuitive!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the explanation. 

Do you know any guide or online course for adding tags to pdf?

I found a lot of video on youtube but all of them talking about small and easy structures files,

Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines