• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro - Are forms fully functionally in MS PDF Viewer

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a form in Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro.  I want to give people the opportunity to attach files to the form.  I have created an "Attach File" Button based on Java Script.  However, in tests, it does not appear to work with Microsoft PDF Viewer.  I don't know if this is the script or if it is a limitation of the MS software when it is used with an Adobe form.  Suggestions?  Thanks/

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft PDF viewer isn't a product name. But there are many, many different PDF viewers in common use. Acrobat Reader will let you attach files, on Windows and Mac only. Other viewers, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Apple Preview, Safari, Acrobat Reader on iPhone, iPad and Android etc. etc. typically won't let you have working forms. My opinion is that PDF forms have been pretty much killed by the success of PDF - and the failure of anyone else to make the forms work properly. And indeed, the failure of Adobe to bother on mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably mean MS PDF Reader. If so, the answer is no. It has a lot of known issues.

[Edited: Incorrect link removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a PDF Reader but it isn't called MS PDF Reader and isn't made by Microsoft. It's just sold in the Microsoft Store, like hundreds of thousands of other apps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, the link is wrong, but there is an MS PDF reader app called Reader:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/reader/9wzdncrfhwg5#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I believe it comes built-in with Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, I had forgotten. There WAS an app called Microsoft Reader, for PDF and other files. It was introduced in Windows 8. Although largely forgotten, it's probably the main reason that Acrobat Reader is largely irrelevant to the normal user. As that page notes, the Microsoft Reader app was phased out around 2017 when Microsoft made Edge the default PDF reader in Windows. Since Mac users had Preview and Safari, nobody really feels the need to download Reader any more - unless a form creator insists that they do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  What I am hoping to create is a PDF form to which files can be attached and that be easily accessed online.  The individual users would fill out the form and then attach their files.  Acrobat Pro is perfect for creating this form but, from what I am gathering, the ability of users who do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader to access this form AND upload files is fairly limited.  Perhaps I should be looking somewhere else, other than Adobe Acrobat and Reader?   I guess that is my question at this point.  Thanks for any help out there.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I am getting discouraged.  Adobe PDF forms seemed such a good solution.  Are there any other programs out there that do basically what you can with Adobe, but without the translational issues when the user does not have access to Adobe Acrobat Pro (as even the Reader seems to be hitting some snags)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issues are not with Adobe Reader, but with third-party PDF reader applications.

If you want to ensure a similar experience for all users use HTML forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be discouraged. I urge you to look into HTML forms - as even Adobe do, today. PDF forms were a solution to a problem which much of the world feels no longer exists.

The worst thing about PDF forms is that they encourage people to think that "submitting" a form means emailing it. This is a very dangerous think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks.  I will do.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines