• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat crashes after opening or loading a PDF

Explorer ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Acrobat DC on Windows 10. It has been updated to the latest version as has creative cloud desktop (file version 21.1.20155.39962). Just starting the Acrobat DC without loading a file results in a crash within 2-3 seconds. If I load a PDF, there is a chance it won't crash, but if it's a PDF that ahs been shared with someone over CC, then it insta-crashes. I suspect this may be some authentication issue with a login server maybe? I have a annually prepaid Creative Cloud All Apps plan.

What I have tried and that hasn't worked:

- uninstall + reinstall of Acrobat DC

- rebooting my pc

- Creating a registry entry for  bDisableFrequentSignInWorkflow  in  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Policies\Adobe\ that I saw on another support ticket

- running the app as an administrator

Need urgent help please!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

SOLVED!

I am posting this to help anyone who may have similar problems. After talking with level 1 tech support, they escalated to level 2 and they found that my user preferences were corrupted. They created a new account on my PC and everything worked fine with the new account. So they closed the ticket, leaving me to figure out if I will migrate everything to the new account or call Microsoft (I wish they would have gone the extra mile and applied the fix I did).

So after getting off the call,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the trouble.

As you are experiencing the crash issue on a Windows machine, please try the troubleshooting steps suggested in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-crashes-on-windows-os.html.

Also, try to recreate the application preferences using the steps provided in the following community thread: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-default/td-p/4792... 

Check if that helps.

If the issue still occurs, try removing the application using the Creative Cloud Cleaner tool (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html). Then reboot the machine and install Acrobat directly from this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/acrobat-downloads.html

Let us know if the issue still persists.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first 2 links were tried before I posted, and the second link doesn't work to get a file dump. the app insta-crashes without any screens post-crash. The registry edits don't work sadly.

The 3rd link for the Cleaner Tool doesn't show an option for Acrobat DC... no acrobat options are shown for CC options.

Still need help, Acrobat isn't working at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up using AcroCleaner (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html) to ensure that the installation was cleaned. Then I attempted to reinstall the Acrobat, and after failing to install 3 times (failing during the install process), the 4th try succeeded. then launching it, I got past the "take a tour" pop-up and then it insta crashed again.

\

Before the clean uninstall I collected the logs, but they are 300 megs, too much to upload to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!

I am posting this to help anyone who may have similar problems. After talking with level 1 tech support, they escalated to level 2 and they found that my user preferences were corrupted. They created a new account on my PC and everything worked fine with the new account. So they closed the ticket, leaving me to figure out if I will migrate everything to the new account or call Microsoft (I wish they would have gone the extra mile and applied the fix I did).

So after getting off the call, I googled "corrupted user preferences acrobat" and it turns out you simply need to rename the folders that are:

• C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
  • C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe

well I renamed the subfolders named "Acrobat" and voila - everything WORKS! Funny thing is I did this step already, so I'm guessing that a fresh install that they did and a repair contributed to the eventual fix. They also did a repair on all Microsoft C++ libraries. Anyhow, back to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know the issue is resolved.

Thank you for updating us and sharing the steps that helped. it may help others in the community with similar issues.

Let us know if we can be of any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This isn't to be negative, but Acrobat is still the worst piece of software I have ever owned in 40+ years. It works for a few days after a fresh install, and then exponentially slows down and turns into a turd having me looking for another PDF editor within weeks. Why does everything else work by Adobe, but Acrobat is such a dumpster fire???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines