• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC shortcut keeps reappearing on desktop.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to turn off this GRUESOMELY ANNOYING reappearing of this shortcut?
It does this at home and at work every so many weeks. At home I can just delete it, but at work I need to ask IT department every time to do this....

Is this just commercial branding?
What is the point of having this shortcut anyway?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on the Desktop. I am glad, that they finally implemented this. I was tired of deleting it with a Scheduled Task:

AdobeAcrobatLnkDeleter.vbs

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim path
path = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Adobe Acrobat.lnk"

if fso.FileExists(path) then
    fso.DeleteFile path
end if

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us, like myself have to use Adobe at work, for work, as it comes with the creative suite. Those of us in this group, have paid lots of money on a yearly basis to have 10-15 licenses for 10-15 different users. This group should have a third option. Complain until it's fixed. I have spoken a couple of time on this. Lighthouse used to do the same thing (leave an icon after updating) but doesn't anymore. It can be fixed. I will continue to advocate for the corrections. Thank you for your input and list of options though. Oh and Firefox also leaves an icon for its browser on the desktop after updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

This is super crumby and invasive user experince.   The worst part is, you've already got my f***ing CC money!  I've converted to a payer...stop bugging me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect turning off auto update might work.

Preferences > Updater > uncheck "Automatically install updates"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

02/18/2023 and this is still happening... I just installed the Foxit, will give a try. I hate so much desktop icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

When Adobe Acrobat runs an automatic update, it creates a shortcut on my desktop. Please add an option to disable this.

This is very annoying, and Adobe Acrobat appears to be the only application that creates desktop shortcuts every time it is updated...

-Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal,

Sunday February 19, 2023. Lightroom and Lightroom classic updated and both left an icon on my desktop and guess who showed up without it being updated? You guessed it, acrobat. Managing updates using creative cloud desktop. I am not sending logs, you guys are aware of this, it is purposely done, your customers want you to stop, please stop it. 

Just to be clear, there were 3 new icon on my desk this morning. This is dumb. Stop it please. 

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping I have finally found a solution. Even after going to System Configuration and disabling the Adobe Update Service, that irritating icon reappeared today. I checked System Configuration and the Update Service was unchecked and it showed disabled on 1/30/23 but the damn thing was RUNNING! Obviously Adobe isn't going to do anything if they've programmed Update to override System Settings. The FIX? Open Task Manager. Select AdobeARMservice. Right click on it. Select Open Services. Under Services (Local) select Adobe Acrobat Update Service. < mine was set to Automatic> Right click on it and select Properties. Under the General tab halfway down find Start Up Type and select Disabled from the drop down menu. Click Apply. Click OK.

In a couple weeks we'll see if that worked or if Adobe somehow manages to override Windows. Already have Foxit installed so if I see that Acrobat icon one more time it's GOODBYE ADOBE FOREVER.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not happening with Adobe Acrobat only, there are other programs that do the same.

However, I did noticed that in my Windows 10, Adobe Acrobat do write to the Guest User account and Public User account silently.

Specifically accross the AppData hidden roaming user profile directory paths.

It seems like if the installations and updates are performed globally as the Administrator, those accounts will be written to automatically too, and it will affect your current user account because the data is identintical to your current user(s) account(s).

One possible way to work around this annoyance is to install Acrobat and future updates just in the current user account with Admin rights (not globally as the Administror).

Interestingly, when you right-click on that annoying desktop icon, you will also notice in the context menu an option that offers to remove it from the task bar (almost like if both icons are one single entity).

So, if you have an launcher icon of Acrobat in the taskbar and the same shortcut launcher icon in the desktop they are indeed correlated as one.

Form further digging, I found that Adobe Acrobat created these folders and additionally  placed files silently in my Guest and Public accounts around or about 22nd November 2021-2022.

So it might've been an update that took place during that timeframe when the bug was introduced.

Moreover, I've barely used the Guest account in years, while the Public user account is browsable but innaccessible from the login screen.

I was shocked to also find out that some specific and unique Acrobat configuration files you can open with the Notepad text editor (or any text editor for that matter).

In two of those files (both published in the Guest and Public user accounts) they had my  digital certificate's full distinguished name  unencrypted (as used in my digital signature), while the rest of the file content was encrypted.

That registered transaction was from signing a document with Acrobat in the current user account not the Guest or Public accounts (also dating back to 22 November).

How and why did it appear in those two other user accounts.?????

In which case, isn't the Public user folders  ummm:  Public!?!? (shareable)... 

Hmmm...  

There is more to this than  just an annoying shortcut icon on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED! Haven't seen an Adobe icon since I changed these settings over 3 weeks ago. Anybody else try this yet? Hope it works for everyone.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant this to be an update to my original post. So those steps I listed seem to fix the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the fix! I too am going to take my $180 and go buy foxit rather than give these incompetent shills any money. It's like adobe want us to hate them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks will try. This "forced" shortcut is unbelievably triggering!

Even setting it as hidden is not enough. Hopefully disabling the service this way will work.

Next stop will be uninstalling until absolutely needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must have been an update yesterday, I once again found the Acrobat icon on my desktop…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the end of February now and on every PC I own, the icon keeps appearing after an update.  This is a brazen breach of user privacy after telling the app during install that I don't want a desktop icon.  Seems to be a very tacky marketing move that needs to be removed immediately.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @bob285546013i08 

We are sorry to hear that, this issue is reported to our development team and being worked upon.

The fix will be available in the future update.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really hope so!  We've heard it before, but it's the most annoying thing! And if it shows up one more time, I will be uninstalling and never using Adobe again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, We don't believe you! This has been a "bug" for more than 8 years! Please stop treating us like we're children. We are smarter than that. You aren't helping your case by lying about what is really going on. This is as bad as the childish boiler plate response of, "To make your experience better, we're removing capability (and making your experience worse!) Aren't we wonderful!" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same problem for years. This is actually a problem with many apps. It seems like a marketing type move to me as a developer myself.

What is actually happening is, the software updates and checks to see if the Desktop Shortcut exists. When it cannot find it, it then creates it in C:\Users\Public\Desktop. This causes it to appear on every users desktop on the machine.

To combat this, I have created a PowerShell script that runs on a scheduled task on my computer. Each time I log into my computer, the script is ran which deletes everything in the Public Desktop. Below is my script if you would like to use it. I'll also post below the instructions of setting the scheduled task up.

Copy/Paste the script into the file name below into your users home directory (or any directory your user can access).

clear_public_desktop.ps1

$BasePath = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\"
$DirectoryItems = Get-ChildItem -Path $BasePath

foreach ($Item in $DirectoryItems) {
    if ((Get-Item ($BasePath + $Item)) -is [System.IO.DirectoryInfo]) {
        Remove-Item ($BasePath + $Item) -Recurse
    }
    else {
        Remove-Item ($BasePath + $Item)
    }
}

Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\Public and right-click on Desktop. Select Properties. Click "Security" tab at top. Click Edit. Select INTERACTIVE in the "Group or user names" pane. Select Full Control under Allow in the "Permissions for INTERACTIVE" pane. Click OK.

Next, you need to open Windows Task Scheduler. This can be opened by clicking the Start/Window button and typing "Task Scheduler". 

At the top, click "Action", and then "Create Task".

In the new window, give the task a name. I named mine "Clear Public Desktop".

Click the "Triggers" tab at the top and click "New". Click the dropdown next to "Begin the task" and select "At log on". Click OK.

Select the Actions tab at the top of the window. Click New. Make sure the dropdown next to "Action" says "Start a program". If not, then make the change. Click "Browse". Navigate to the script you made above and select it.

Click the "Conditions" tab at the top of the window. Make sure all checkboxes under "Power" are not checked.

Click OK

At this point, you will be prompted for a user/password to use for running this script.

Congratulations! You are now beating "The Man" at his own game.

NOTE: If this is a work computer, your IT department could have you blocked from running scheduled tasks. If this happens, there is a way around that via WSL/Bash/Cron Jobs. However, this is a more advanced method and would require more permission configurations and scripts.

NOTE: This will delete everything in the C:\Users\Public\Desktop. You may want to check and see if there are shortcuts or files in that directory that you use and add them to your user's desktop or use another shared folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This is great stuff.  I tried, but unfortunately I must be missing something with permissions.
I first ran it manually in PowerShell and got the issue that Scripts weren't allowed, fixed that and it works if I run it now (manually), but still does not work when scheduled.  (The job runs, and I see in the history that it runs, but those history logs don't show anything about it failing, it looks like it runs, but the files remain.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

You went real deep with this discovery.

Thank you very much for taking the time to elevate the learning curve.

"beating The Man at his own game"...  LOL!!!

I love it.   xD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and right now there is a developer at Adobe who has documented your fix. They are currently working on a "bug" to circumvent your genius solution so as to continue to annoy their clients until they leave Adobe for other products. I sure hope Foxit sends Abobe a Christmas card with a really nice corporate gift for all the people who dump Adobe for Foxit. I'd never heard of Foxit until today. Had it not been for that annoying re-installing shortcut I'd have never known there was a better alternative! Downloading Foxit right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess who updated last night?! Yup! Adobe Lightroom!!! Guess how I know?! Yup! left a little icon on my desktop!! Guess who hasn't fixed anything yet?! Yup Amal and the team behind this dumb ass thing that happens. LMAO! I like the last guy's deep dive, but honestly, I think they should fix it, not us. We have 15 licenses here at work... I don't know what's keeping us from going to CyberLink or DaVinci? lol I'm the one who signs off on that purchase every year. We have 14 young guys that could easily learn a new software (easier than me anyway) and not bat an eye. I laugh but now I think I'm done, I think I realized typing this that they (Adobe) isn't doing it for me anymore. Huh, today this started as a gripe, but it turned into a realization. Hope everyone here finds peace. Have a great day, week, month, year, life, I'm out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to c:\users\public\desktop (it is hidden so you have to check view hidden files) and ran CMD as admin and hid the icon, then unchecked view hidden files.

Not the best solution but at least I do not see the icon. It has been 2 weeks so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Empowered5EE9  thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem!! Please fix this Acrobat!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines