• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC crashes/exits when opening a file that has interactive fields

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting last week (07/01/2022) Adobe now exits within a second or two when opening a file that contains interactive fields. These are files that 1) I have created, and, 2) I've been using for years without any problems.

I have no difficulty opening other pdf files, and I also have no difficulty opening the problem files using a different program (for instance, Foxit). I can also open the files if I start Adobe, then File>Create>Create Form>Single File and import it. Unticking Enable Protected Mode at startup does not open the file. Ticking it and selecting the "Off" radio button does not open the file. Ticking it and selecting the "All files" radio button does open the file but with none of the fields active, and if I subsequently click "Enable All Features" Adobe exits within seconds with no warning or error messages.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe three times now, and with the same results. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if the latest Windows update last week did something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I know my biggest issue is running Pro XI which is VERY OLD. But nothing I've tried to repair, or update that version is working. Even running the install as 'admin'. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have managed to fix the error, but it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I run two monitors on a Win 10 PC. One monitor--the main one--is a 24" wide-screen HP, and the secondary is a 19" Dell. At the end of each day I run a disk cleaning program, which includes cleaning applications...of which Adobe is one.

Yesterday I was astonished to discover the files that previously would not open were now opening...and aggravated and frustrated when today they would not. After a great deal of experimentation and analysing matters I discovered what seems to be the cause and how to fix it:

The monitor that Adobe defaults opening in.

If, for whatever reason, the default monitor for opening Adobe is the smaller Dell, the program exits within seconds when trying to open the specific "problem" files. Foxit has no trouble opening them in that position, nor working with the interactive fields, nor does Adobe have problems with most pdf files, just the ones that have the interactive fields.

However, if I reset the window position so that opening a pdf file defaults to opening in the main HP monitor...it opens just fine. And having opened the one time, if I change the default window position back to the Dell it still will open.

I have no idea why it matters which monitor Adobe attempts to open the file. I suspect that whatever setting that effects gets cleared when the disk cleaner runs, which is why I have (temporarily) unticked cleaning Adobe when it runs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines