• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC freezes for several seconds after opening a PDF - Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Community,

Anyone have an issue with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC freezing for several seconds after opening a PDF on Windows 10. I tried uninstalling and installing as well and changing a few settings I saw suggested online like reducing the number of documents listed in the history. This problem just started today after having no issues for a long time. I didn't download, install, or update anything today.

Thanks!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Hi all,

Sorry for the experience and thank you for bringing this to our notice. We appreciate your patience on this.

I would like to mention deleting Acrocef.exe is not an Adobe’s recommended solution or a workaround for this issue. Deleting the process might lead to malfunction of the various features of the product associated with the process. That being said, we are currently tracking this issue and will keep you posted. 

You may help us further by providing logs from your machine to investiga

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove it and Install Foxit PDF Reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dgdeepak64@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues with Adobe acrobat reader DC stalling or freezing up when opening a file. What worked for me is right clicking on the desktop icon and go to properties. Then click the compatibility tab and select Windows 7 from the drop down. That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is actually a great workaround. That is why that feature exists in Ms Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried all the solutions until I came to this solution and it really worked for me.

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I followed advice in the this thread and turned off Signature Verification upon opening and that eliminated the annoying 10-second freeze upon opening a PDF in Adobe Acrobat. If you then want to sign (which I do from time to time), the application will freeze for a few seconds before allowing me to select my signature. Fixed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the latest version of everything. Tried all the solutions in the thread, nothing helped. Still freezes on open and while using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I recently upgraded to a 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700K and since then Acrobat freezes everytime straigt after opening a file. The problem is constantly occuring and can be reproduced every time I open Acrobat. Also when opening Acrobat without a file, it freezes when loading the preview of all the documents within the "last used"-start screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue. When I try to digitallys sign a document, the screen goes grey and Acrobat stops responding. The only way to get it to close is to use ctrl/alt/del and close Acrobat from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues with Adobe Acrobat DC stalling or freezing up when opening a file. What worked for me is right clicking on the desktop icon and go to properties. Then click the compatibility tab and select Windows 8 from the drop down. That worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

29th June 2022 - I'm getting the same problem.  8 second hang every time I open, or try to open a PDF.  It only started a week or so ago, and may (or may not) have come after a Windows 10 update.  I've tried uninstall and re-install.  Problem persists.  Hey Adobe please can you take a look and provide a fix (again) - this is literally costing me money - on top of my CC subscription fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me....

suddenly startet.

I tried cleaner tool - reinstalled - nothing.

I cant go to settings or anything it instantly freezes after opening 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you ever are able to get into your Acrobat Preferences, try my answer on this thread:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/acrobat-pro-dc-constantly-freezing/m-p/13217905 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all concerned,

I've seen this behavior occur a few times on Microsoft Windows 10 but not as much as with Windows 11.

I've observed that, soon after an unattended update installs through the operating system (not through the Adobe Acrobat's service updater background process), a system process that is labeled 

<Unknown> creates itself as a User account with full read/write access over the Adobe Acrobat user folders and PDF files.

You can try and see for yourself if this is happening.

Right-click on the "Adobe Acrobat DC" shortcut icon, select "Properties"; in the Adobe Acrobat DC Properties" dialogue window that will open up, select the "Security" tab. 

Note in the "Group or user names:" section it should only appear listed:

• SYSTEM
  • Administrators
  • INTERACTIVE
  • or any current user accounts that you've created when you first installed Windows, for example

When you click once, to select a Group or a user name from that list, the permissions will be displayed in the next section "Permissions for".

NOTE if your user account's permissions appear greyed out and only allowing:

• Read & Execute
  • Read

If it is, try changing those attributes to "Full control".

If you're not able to adjust this for your own user account while you're signed in with that current user account, you may need sign out and do it with the Administrator account (provided that this configuration setting is not controlled/blocked by your organization).

In addition, when you sign in as Adminsitrator note also that these settings shouldn't appear greyed out.

You should be able to click on the "Edit..." button to change those permissions.

And this is the tricky part:

• If your current user accounts appear greyed out and inaccessible when you're using the Administrator account, and you also notice that <Unknown> has full read/write control but none of your other user accounts, delete those <Unknown> accounts.

• A reboot may be required to verify that these changes stayed commited and to verify that this weird system process doesn't recreates itself again during boot up.

The way I fixed this on  my end, was by uninstalling the Adobe Acrobat Pro completely, then using the Adobe Labs Cleaner tool before reinstalling and manually cleaning some temp folders and chache folders (including the Acrobat hidden folders in the Appdata directory)

Then I reinstalled Adobe Acrobat from the Administrator account, and granted full control to each of my legitimate user accounts.

So far, it has remained with no issues, but I have to constantly keep an eye on Windows unattended updates to see what is triggering these <Unknown> system processes that act as if they are legitimate user accounts in these security settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why do we need to go through all this?

Let's change this bad software!

I have been suffering this problem for long time and it is extremely annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestion of a better replacement please ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why do I even care to come here to try and help people with their software issues everyday (FOR FREE!) ?

I think we share the same frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read through the entire exchange of claims and notes. Those people don't even talk to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having similar issues for several years now. It intermitently freezes up every few seconds endlessly. Since I noticed that, I have changed systems, updated the app several times and even changed my computer for a better one, and the issue is still the same.

I think it's some kind of connectivity issue. What I do is close through the Task Manager most connectivity tasks running (Acrobat tasks relating to synching, updates and even the Creative Cloud app). Then I can use it. 

It's infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the part there abotu disabling protected mode on startup - so far it seem to ahve resolved the issue for me. Lets see.

Oh and bny the way the "suggested solution" on the top of this page is absurd - it is not a solution but rather a "dont do this" warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines