• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC on Mac freezes not long after opening, regardless of the file and even without

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per title

Mac OS 10.15.3 (latest version)

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.006.20034 (latest version)

The software freezes a few seconds after it opens. It happens with any and all PDF files and even happens if I open the application without a file.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software via the Creative Cloud app and it has made no different. The problem still occurs.

Any ideas/suggestions?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a simple workaround!

Do these steps:

1.  force quit the Adobe Acrobat Reader application
  2.  right click on any pdf file and open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader application
  3.  You'll see a sign-in dialog box
  4.  enter your credentials and signin. that's it!

My Adobe Acrobat Reader version: 21.11.20039.0

macos version: 10.15.7

Intel CPU

I tried restarting the Adobe Acrobat Reader application, restarting my laptop, but nothing worked.
(resetting the application preferences using app cleaner also works, but the above workaround is much much better and simpler)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is happening when your session has timed out and you open Adobe Acrobat Reader DC directly. The synchronization for the account times out and freezes the reader. The workaround from Abhiram works as expected. Please see the spin dump attached along for more details.

Architecture: x86_64
Processor: Intel
Build: 22.1.20142.0
AGM: 4.30.117
CoolType: 6.2.1
JP2K: 2.0.6.50420

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You lose your unsaved edits if you force quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I removed Acrobat from my computer, all of my issues went away. I even dusted off an old Mac that was giving me issues and the problems on that machine went away as well once deleting Acrobat. Sad Adobe cannot figure this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the record, I'm having the same problem, Acrobat hangs a few seconds after opening any document on MacOS. It's happing on both a Mac Mini (Intel) and a MacBook Pro (M1), so nothing to do with the chip. Killing the synchroniser doesn't help. Acrobat DC is unuseable on MacOS and I am ditching it for something else...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2022 Nov 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the solution. Within Adobe Acrobat, go to "Preferences," then to "Adobe Online Services," and then unselect "Sync preferences across devices and document services." Seems to have stopped the freezing shortly after starting the app or opening a PDF file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That setting is greyed out on my Mac. I have been unable to use Acrobat Pro for a long time now. Incredible performance from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to sign in (see top right corner) to be able to un-grey the check box. Unchecking it solved the repeated hanging, spinning beachball of death issue for me. Phew. So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sadly signed in to account and it's still geyed out for me. Deeply frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently it will be fixed with the next update but just two months from now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking the "Sync preferences across devices and document services" box totally solved my freezing and lagging issues.  Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work for me, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, i had the same problem. I found the solution and solved the issue using this simple guide:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

After reset predferences, every PDF is opening fine. No more freezes! I use mac os Ventura 13.6.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines